Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Gunnerkrigg Court, Volume 1: Orientation (Gunnerkrigg Court #1)
This topic is about Gunnerkrigg Court, Volume 1
Webcomic Discussions > January-Gunnerkrigg Court

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Jan 01, 2013 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen | 1179 comments Discuss Gunnerkrigg Court here! Tell us what you think of the art, the writing or anything else that comes to mind.

You can find Gunnerkrigg Court here.

Dawn | 257 comments one of my favorites. That last chapter, Stone, was enough to drive you around the bend, albeit in a good way!

Great evolution on the art, too.

message 3: by Kayleigh (last edited Jan 17, 2013 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kayleigh | 195 comments Finally reading this one! It only took me three years...

I finished volume 1 last night and loved it! The blending of magic and technology is brilliant.

Kristen | 1179 comments I've been following Gunnerkrigg Court for a while. It's one of my favorite webcomics. I like that Siddell(the creator) is not afraid to change things. Not only does the art get better over time, but characters change. They get hair cuts, they make new friends, they mature and grow. I like that. I also really love any of the chapters that feature a lot of color like the ones with Coyote, ones where they are in the forest and this chapter.

Dawn | 257 comments And the main characters are not perfect angels. Think of the ways Annie has done things wrong, not to mention her growing arrogance, for example.

Kristen | 1179 comments Exactly. No Mary Sues here! Annie is kind of cold and as you said arrogant. She's got flaws and that makes her more believable and relatable.

message 7: by Mike (last edited Jan 28, 2013 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Just started. Been looking forward to this and am intrigued, but man are we off to a weird beginning. If any shadow of mine developed eyes I don't think I'd be quite so calm.

And then we get to:
-There was only one sensible resolution to this problem-
"I must construct a robotic walking device which will provide you transit across the bridge!"

Six pages in and I already get the feeling I'm either going to love this comic or go completely insane trying to read it.

Dawn | 257 comments Mike wrote: "Just started. Been looking forward to this and am intrigued, but man are we off to a weird beginning. If any shadow of mine developed eyes I don't think I'd be quite so calm.

And then we get to:..."

Probably a little of both! :)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "Probably a little of both! :) "

lol. Sounds about right. :)

Read up through chapter 3. I don't know if it was pacing, plotting, etc but something about the comic balanced out after the first chapter. Not that the first was bad or anything, but something felt a little off for me. The next weren't any less strange, but I liked them more. Maybe I'm just getting used to the humor and tone. Or maybe the involvement of Greek Mythology makes everything better. ;)

So I'm definitely hooked and will be continuing with Antimony on her strange school adventures.

jenny I've tried reading GC a few times, but I could never get passed the first couple of chapters. This time I was determined to get through the first volume. It took a few chapters, but now I am hooked! My favorite character right now is Reynardine. I'm just getting ready to start volume two and I can't wait to read more about Antimony, Kat, and the rest of Gunnerkrigg Court.

message 11: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
So it wasn't just me! Glad we both stuck it out - just finished book one and it's turned into really phenomenal stuff.

Kristen | 1179 comments Upon rereading it, I agree. The beginning is a little weird. It's totally worth sticking around, though, so anyone thinking about quitting should keep up with it! It gets better.

Kayleigh | 195 comments I had a similar experience--I first learned of the comic over two years ago, and kept meaning to read it, but for some reason never managed to make it past the first few pages. Having it as the WotM was a good motivator for me at first, but once I got past the first chapter or so I was hooked! It may have been partly due to the plotting and pacing, but I think another important factor was that I needed to get used to the world and the art style (which I wasn't crazy about at first but soon grew on me. It also improves greatly over time).

Kristen | 1179 comments The first few chapters remind me a bit of a storybook, in a way. The story is completely absurd, but it's so nonchalant about it, like "Yeah, I build robots all the time". You just kinda have to go with it. Once the world gets fleshed out and characters develop, it feels less strange.

message 15: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "The first few chapters remind me a bit of a storybook, in a way. The story is completely absurd, but it's so nonchalant about it, like "Yeah, I build robots all the time". You just kinda have to go..."

Totally agree. It doesn't take that long though.

Finished the first volume. Wow things have gotten interesting. Lots of good mysteries going on, the humor is pitch perfect, and the characters and plots are nicely multi-layered. I've really come to adore Antimony and Kat.

Phenomenal stuff. Glad I finally got around to reading it. :)

message 16: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Gotten through a few more chapters. As good as it's been, GC somehow keeps getting better and better. Jones is a great new character and the mediation stuff seem like it's going to be really interesting. The entire cast is amazingly well developed and three dimensional in general. Mort and Reynardine in particularly amuse me to no end.