Book Nook Cafe discussion

General Conversation > Favorite Quotes - 2013 -

Comments Showing 1-50 of 238 (238 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Please share your favorite quotes with us. :)

message 2: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments "A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other."

~~Anonymous

message 3: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Great beginning to the new year!

message 4: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

message 5: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Ooooh! That quote makes me want to snuggle in front of our fireplace to read. Our cold weather finally arrived, so we've been able to light up a fire daily this week. Such a pleasure to read with crackling nearby!

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise | 43 comments Madrano wrote: "Ooooh! That quote makes me want to snuggle in front of our fireplace to read. Our cold weather finally arrived, so we've been able to light up a fire daily this week. Such a pleasure to read with c..."

Remember the hot chocolate, marshamallows and kahlua.

message 7: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Done! My sister brewed some homemade kahlua as a holiday gift. Wonderful addition to hot drinks. Or cold, with half & half. YUM! The fire last night crackled with beauty. DH tells me that's the crepe myrtle logs, culled from our own lawn. Homey sound.

message 8: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.

- Lewis Carroll

message 9: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Give without remembering and always receive without forgetting.

Motivational Quotes ‏@DavidRoads Twitter

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." -- Frederick Douglass (1818-1985)

Image by Jessie Willcox Smith (1863--1935)

message 11: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments What a sweet image and terrific sentiment.

message 12: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Alias Reader wrote: "I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.

- Lewis Carroll"

Brilliant!

Like Alias, i like the image & sentiment, Carol. And couldn't agree more.

message 13: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind.

-Dale Carnegi

message 14: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

message 15: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments I've decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

message 16: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 21, 2013 12:18PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

message 17: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments That last quote is new to me. I guess this is where Nixon's people got the "silent majority" idea.

message 18: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments It's a quote that I've had on the bulletin board near my desk for ages. I cut it out from a copy of Readers Digest.

message 19: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments “Think before you speak. Read before you think.”

― Fran Lebowitz

message 20: by Carol (last edited Jan 24, 2013 07:53AM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."

Edith Wharton (her childhood portrait)

message 21: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Well, i've never had that happen here. The photo of the art Carol shared slowly, slowly appeared, from top to bottom. How curious. It's a lovely painting and a good quote. Thank you for both.

Alias, i like the Fran Lebowitz quote. I have a series of quotes i collected when i read her Metropolitan Life a decade or so ago. Sometimes she appears as a judge on "Law & Order", too. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0495877/ I see from the link that she asked for a role on the show! If you have the time, click on the "See More Trivia" link for several of her quotes. Here's one, "Spilling your guts is exactly as charming as it sounds."

message 22: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Madrano wrote: "Well, i've never had that happen here. The photo of the art Carol shared slowly, slowly appeared, from top to bottom. How curious. It's a lovely painting and a good quote. Thank you for both.

Alia..."

----------------

Same here. I think the issue is the picture is in color and very large.

It's a very lovely painting her her.

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I'll delete the other and here's a link . . .
http://lucindaville.blogspot.com/2011...

message 24: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments She certainly was a beautiful child. She looks like a model in that painting.

message 25: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Ah, so much easier, Carol. Thanks.

message 26: by Carol (last edited Jan 25, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments "A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia...

Virginia Woolf

message 27: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Good advice about the money for all women.

message 28: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments As much as i value that Woolf quote, it's obviously written by someone without children. What i always lacked, in addition to the other two, was silence enough to write!

And i'd add that the room is almost more necessary for nonfiction. Where else do you sort & store your research? LOL--and STILL i find the quote excellent.

message 29: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments "all one needs in life is books"

-- P.G. Wodehouse.

message 30: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives a superficial appearance of being right.

- Thomas Paine

message 31: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
I awoke and saw that life was service.
I acted and behold, service was joy.

~~ Rabindranath Tagore

message 32: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Once the game is over, the king & the pawn go back in the same box.

-Italian Proverb

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments "I'm always amazed that people will actually choose to sit in front of the television and just be savaged by stuff that belittles their intelligence."

-- Alice Walker

message 34: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Excellent quote, Carol.

I always amazed by people who have to watch TV. Even when they say, "there is nothing on". However, they continue to watch some random program that they are not enjoying. I'm baffled by this.

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Some people I know just like the TV on for "background noise."
What's wrong with silence?

message 36: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Give me silence any day !

message 37: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

- Henry David Thoreau

message 38: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments "To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark."

― Victor Hugo (Born February 26th 1802

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments “He did not study God; he was dazzled by him.”
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

“In joined hands there is still some token of hope, in the clinched fist none.”
― Victor Hugo, The Toilers of the Sea

"Tomorrow, if all literature was to be destroyed and it was left to me to retain one work only, I should save (The Book of) Job."
― Victor Hugo, executableoutlines.com/job/job_01.htm

message 40: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Good Hugo quotes, Carol !

Interesting one about book of Job.

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Both Les Miserables and The Book of Job are my favorites.

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments "How can you frighten a man whose hunger is not only in his own cramped stomach but in the wretched bellies of his children? You can't scare him -- he has known a fear beyond every other."
--John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

“And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected.”
― John Steinbeck, East of Eden

“Lennie begged, "Le's do it now. Le's get that place now."
"Sure right now. I gotta. We gotta.”

― John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men

“And then Kino stood uncertainly. Something was wrong, some signal was trying to get through to his brain. Tree frogs and cicadas were silent now. And then Kino's brain cleared from its red concentration and he knew the sound- the keening, moaning, rising hysterical cry from the little cave in the side of the stone mountain, the cry of death."
― John Steinbeck, The Pearl

message 43: by Alias Reader (last edited Feb 27, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments A very nice birthday tribute to Steinbeck, Carol.

message 44: by Carol (last edited Feb 27, 2013 02:19PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I can't imagine how difficult it was for farmers and their families, year after year, living during the Dust Bowl. So many children dying from pneumonia. The huge black, blinding dust storms that left mounds of sand (like snow) blocking doors and windows. Thank God for Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoXW4...
Surviving The Dust Bowl (50:40)

message 45: by Alias Reader (last edited Feb 27, 2013 03:17PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments The first time I read Grapes I cried at the end. It was so moving. I seldom read books twice, but I've read this one twice.

The Norton Critical edition of this book is excellent.

message 46: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments The difference in winning & losing is most often, not quitting.
-Walt Disney

message 47: by Carol (last edited Mar 01, 2013 05:17PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me.
-- Ralph Ellison
(bday 3/1/1914) American novelist, literary critic, scholar & author of Invisible Man.

message 48: by Carol (last edited Mar 01, 2013 05:16PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments The history of the Victorian Age will never be written: we know too much about it.
-- Lytton Strachey
(bday 3/1/1880) founding member of Bloomsbury group & author of Eminent Victorians.

message 49: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 16273 comments Carol wrote: " I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me.
-- Ralph Ellison
(bday 3/1/1914) American novelist, literary critic, scholar & author of Invisible Man."

------------------

That quote always gets me.

Years ago, I was coming home with my dad on the subway. We were coming home from Sloan Kettering hospital. My father was around 85 years old and a bit frail. At our stop my dad and I got up to get off. An older black man, who was a bit disheveled, was standing in front of my dad, and my father told him to go first. The man said, "he sees me." And smiled.

I guess he was used to people just pushing him around as if he didn't matter.

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments That touches my heart . . . thanks Alias.

« previous 1 3 4 5