Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Chat > What were your best/worst of 2012

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What were the best books you read in 2012 and the worst books you read in 2012. Make sure they are YA!

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Favorite books read this year:
Cinder
The Raven Boys
A Bride's Story, Vol. 1
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1

Least favorite books:
The Gathering Storm
Sweetly
Burned - love Ellen Hopkins, just disliked this book.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) SO many good ones this year that it's hard to pick. Pretty much the usual suspects: Roth, Rossi, Oliver, Mead, Carter, Clare, Revis, Bray, etc.

The worst:
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCaffrey
Band Geek Love and Band Geeked Out by Josie Bloss
Fake Boyfriend by Kate Brian
South Beach Sizzle by Suzanne Weyn and Diana Gonzales

message 4: by Julia (last edited Jan 01, 2013 12:10PM) (new)

Julia | 432 comments Best Books I Read in 2012
Fiction - adult
1. Farthing by Jo Walton
*2. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
3. The Healer’s War by Elizabeth Scarborough
4. Anything But Typical by Nora R Baskin
5. Blasphemy by Sherman Alexie
6. Earth (The Book) by Jon Stewart
*7. Among Others by Jo Walton
8. Somewhere Beneath These Waves by Sarah Monette
9. The Heidi Chronicles and Other Plays by Wendy Wasserstein
10. Bloodchild and Other Stories by Octavia E. Butler
11. Elfhome by Wen Spencer
12. Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler
13. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Dale Wasserman
14. Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold
15. A Fistful of Sky by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Fiction ~ya
*16. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
17. Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
18. Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
19. Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
20. Where Things Come Back by J C Whaley
21. Partials by Dan Wells
22. Anything But Typical by Nora R Baskin
*23. Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor
*24. Foiled! By Jane Yolen
25. Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
26. Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt
27. The Diviners by Libba Bray

Non- fiction
28. The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
29. Wendy and the Lost Boys by Julie Salamon
*30. My Wonderful World of Slapstick by Buster Keaton
31. Buster Keaton Remembered by Eleanor Keaton
32. Prophet’s Prey: My Seven- Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints by Sam Brower
* The Best of the Best

I don't have a list of my worst books, but here's the books I didn't finish, possibly because I wasn't in the mood for them when I picked them up...

1. Lunatics by Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel
2. Faithful Place by Tana French
3. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
4. Moon Called by Andre Norton
5. The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
6. Eyes Like Leaves by Charles de Lint
7. Underdogs by Markus Zusak
8. The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
9. A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick
10. Elements of Style by Wendy Wasserstein
11. After Life by Rhian Ellis
12. The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht
13. Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem
14. Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

message 5: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock (jkrock) | 12 comments Best: The Fault in Our Stars, Before I Fall, Insurgent, Pandemonium, and Days of Blood and Starlight. Got to interview Lauren Oliver and Laini Taylor this year too!!! Such a thrill and what amazing people :)

message 6: by Nancy (new)

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 7 comments My favorite;
Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Least favorite;
Going Too Far

It's kind of ironic, because Daughter Of Smoke And Bone is my favorite book now, and Going Too Far is probably my most hated reading experience ever.

Other favorites were; The Fault In Our Stars, Anna And The French Kiss, and Mistborn.

Other least favorites; 50 Shades Of Grey and Divergent.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarasofiara) Best book I read 2012 was probably The fault in our stars, or The outsiders.

Worst book was Tu man hand.

message 9: by Annabell (new)

Annabell (writingfien) | 10 comments Best Read in 2012

--The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
--Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
--Envy (Empty Coffin Series #1) by Gregg Olsen
--Dearly, Beloved by Lia Habel
--The Book of Lost Souls (Ivy MacTavish Series #1) by Michelle Muto

Not so Great Reads 2012

--Fated by Alyson Noel
--Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
--Bewitching by Alex Flinn
--Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London
--Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
--Destined (Wings Series #4) by Aprilynne Pike

message 10: by Trista (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 47 comments Best:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green , Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout , Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth , The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa , Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Worst:
The Dig (Zoe and Zeus Trilogy, #1) by Audrey Hart , My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves, #1) by Amanda Hocking series, The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass , Bridger (Bridger, #1) by Megan Curd

message 11: by Faye (new)

Faye (cazzyzandra) my favorites? SO many... but i have to say nightshade by andrea cremer. and least favorites? cant think of any except what we read in school lol... um... faking 19 by alyson noel. im sorry to say the writing was not her best!

message 12: by Heather-Lea (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:53PM) (new)

Heather-Lea | 3 comments Two of the most unique books I read in 2012 are both by Cindi Madsen.
All the Broken Pieces and Demons of the Sun

message 13: by *Layali* (last edited Jan 18, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

message 14: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Tilton Best: Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1) by Melina Marchetta Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Worst: I can't think of any! If I had to choose it would be Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins but only because I couldn't gte into the St. Clair character. I kept wanting to picture him as Cole from Linger...

message 15: by Renee (new)

message 16: by Katie Swiantek (new)

Katie Swiantek | 1 comments Bests:
- The evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkins (The Mara Dyer series is the BEST!)
-Angelfire and the sequel Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton (Now one of my absolute FAVORITE series!)
- The Calling by Kelley Armstrong (another favorite series of mine)
- Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Thankfully didn't really read anything I didn't like. But those are some of my top picks!

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Burns | 3 comments Best:
Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3) by Melina Marchetta
Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee
The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2) by Megan Whalen Turner

Worst:
Inescapable (The Premonition, #1) by Amy A. Bartol
Beg for Mercy (Cambion, #1) by Shannon Dermott [bookcover:[bookcover:

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly Biggs | 5 comments Best: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas , Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo , Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth , Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth , The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater , Breathe (Breathe, #1) by Sarah Crossan , Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole , Quarantine The Loners (Quarantine, #1) by Lex Thomas , and Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers

Didn't so much care for: Silence (The Queen of the Dead, #1) by Michelle Sagara West , The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1) by Lisa M. Stasse , Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls, #1) by Tiffany Truitt , Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Totally disliked: The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly Biggs | 5 comments Oh! How could I forget Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman !! It was most amazing and cannot wait for the sequel.

message 20: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Best: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Worst: ....

message 21: by Neha (last edited Jan 28, 2013 04:21AM) (new)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Worst one? I read Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer . WHY OH WHY DID I DO THIS?

Best: I discovered The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins trilogy, Crewel (Crewel World, #1) by Gennifer Albin and The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan got released

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Best:
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl, #8) by Eoin Colfer Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead (whole series)
Worst:
Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth

message 24: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Best: The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Worst: Madly (Madly, #1) by M. Leighton Partials (Partials, #1) by Dan Wells Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey

message 25: by Imran (new)

Imran Siddiq (imransiddiqwriter) | 10 comments Hi
Best for me:
Uglies,
Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress
Inside Out
Wereworld #1
Divergent
The Graveyard Book

Worst:
Glow
Across the Universe
Pretties

message 26: by Nila (new)

Nila (dearnila) Favorites :
The Clique Series
The Iron Fey Series
Confetti Girl

Least Favorites :
The Gallagher Girl Series
Inkspell
Harsh Pink

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyjeffery) | 10 comments Best
Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare Blake Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2) by Holly Black Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3) by Holly Black

Loved Anna Dressed in Blood, and Curse Workers, they were my top two favorite hands down.

Worst
Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire The Curse Girl by Kate Avery Ellison

message 28: by Erica (last edited Feb 10, 2013 04:34AM) (new)

Erica (Reading Kitten) | 6 comments Best
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay Easy by Tammara Webber Intangible (Intangible, #1) by J. Meyers Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead (The whole VA series)
Storm (Elemental, #1) by Brigid Kemmerer Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover Crow's Row (Crow's Row, #1) by Julie Hockley

Worst
Winter's Shadow (Winter Saga, #1) by M.J. Hearle Dark Flame (The Immortals, #4) by Alyson Noel Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) by Colleen Hoover

message 29: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Tate I loved The Raven Boys The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater So many great characters, so much going on, can't wait for the next one.

I also really liked the appealing narrator in Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead - this may be middle grade though, but it has much depth and resonance.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Burns | 3 comments Ashley wrote: "Best
Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare BlakeAnna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare BlakeThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle HodkinWhite Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly BlackRed Glove (Curse Workers, #2) by Holly Black[bookc..."

The curse workers were awesome! Love me some Cassel

message 31: by Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) (last edited May 01, 2013 07:24AM) (new)