Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Beautiful Creatures

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think of these two characters? What about their relationship with each other? What do you think about Ethan's parents?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I was intrigued by Ethan and Lena's telepathic connection - at least at first. By the end I couldn't care less - and it seemed as if it could be turned on or off at the authors' whim.

I think Ethan's Mom sounded very interesting - a free spirit type of person. Ethan's father is just lost - maybe he'll find himself in the later books but I don't care enough to want to know for sure.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Grace wrote: "I was intrigued by Ethan and Lena's telepathic connection - at least at first. By the end I couldn't care less..."

That is my exact reaction too!

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jan 17, 2013 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I thought throughout the whole book that we were going to find out something really cool about Ethan. But he was only a mortal. I kind of found it funny that I was wondering why the two didn't have sex when they got real hot and heavy. I just was expecting it... and then we come to find out had the two of them had sex he would've died. So I suppose it is a good thing they didn't because what a surprise that would've been!!!!!

I liked both their parents too. Well for Lena I liked her uncle not her mom. Though I do feel bad for Ethan and how his dad has checked out. We really didn't get to find out too much about what happens to him after all the events at the end of the book.

Sometimes Lena annoyed me about this whole wanting to lead a normal teenage life. Really what she sounded like to me is what any teenager would want. To be popular. She wanted to go to the dancing with an amazing guy. She wanted to have a huge party for her birthday and have the whole school there.. um yea most teens want that. Sit at the table with all the cool kids at lunch. So for me it didn't sound like she wanted to be a normal teenager but a popular teenager. When I was a teen in school I wanted all of that too. I had a little issue with this.. it seemed like normal feelings every teen in public school has.

Elena (elenaselge) Their relationship was b o r i n g!!
And that is coming from a girl who's usually rooting for the stupidest couples.. I literally couldn't care less about them.
But I loved Ethan's family - the whole slightly crazy distant father, dead rebel mother story line. For some reason I have this soft spot for vulnerable dads.
Plus, I was fascinated by Ridley's and Lena's relationship.

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 8 comments I love Ethan and Lena, but I like Ethan just a little bit more. He's a great character. He has no problem ignoring what he's "supposed to do" and the kind of person he's "supposed to be" so that he can be with Lena. If he loves you, if you matter to him then he's loyal to a fault. I love that about him. I really like Lena too, though I wish she wouldn't push Ethan away so much. I understand that she's afraid that she's going to go dark, but I would have liked to see her live while she can a little more. And maybe not be so down all the time. I still loved her though. I think she's a good balance for Ethan.

I loved Ethan and Lena's relationship. I especially loved that it took them something like 6 months to use the L word, unlike so many other YA books out there.

I (mostly) liked both of their families. Macon is a little rough in the beginning, but he really grew on me as the book progressed. Aunt Del, Ryan, and the rest are a great addition to the story. I even liked Ridley. I guess maybe because I saw the potential good in her.

I love Amma and the sisters. OMG the sisters make me laugh :) Marian is kind of like a mother figure to Ethan and I really liked that she was there for him. I understood Ethan's dad's pain because how do you live without your other half? But at the same time, he has a son who is also grieving and growing up and he needs his dad to help him get through all of that.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I do think it is great that Ethan didn't do what he was supposed to do. I can't imagine a popular person in my high school dropping popularity to date someone who wasn't popular. That would've been HUGE.

Christine | 147 comments I loved their relationship! It was just so deep and they both really cared about each other. They were like two people against the world, and so they kind of melded into one. I kind of started to think of them as the same person, not individuals. And Ethan cared so much for Lena. SO MUCH.

message 9: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (casscash93) as far as i've read so far i think they are really adorable, kind of like edward and bella but less creepy obviously :)

message 10: by Rissa (new)

Rissa Lynn | 2 comments Omg i love Lena and Ethan!!! They care so much for one other. Ethan and Lena are MENT for each other. I how they can kelt to each other!

Christine | 147 comments Rissa wrote: "Omg i love Lena and Ethan!!! They care so much for one other. Ethan and Lena are MENT for each other. I how they can kelt to each other!"

IKR?!?! THEY ARE SO IN LOVE!!!!!!

message 12: by Em~Lost In A Dream~ (last edited Jan 30, 2013 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em~Lost In A Dream~ | 7 comments This all i have to say about it: One of my favorite literary couples of all time,and that's saying something.I read.A LOT.

It's just because.

Lethan Forever.<3

Christine | 147 comments 4EVUR!!!!!!

message 14: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita (booksandrita) I liked Lena's and Ethan's relationship, they were a cute couple. Their connection was magical and I liked how they thought of each other so affectionately. I also didn't think that this romance was overpowering the story, it was nice and subtle.

I'm interested in how their relationship will evolve throughout their series.

Also there was no love triangle, which I think is now quite rare, I think as there are love triangles everywhere.

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yes!! Love triangles drive me nuts lately. They seem to be in every book. I look forward to books that don't have them.

Christine | 147 comments Rita wrote: "I liked Lena's and Ethan's relationship, they were a cute couple. Their connection was magical and I liked how they thought of each other so affectionately. I also didn't think that this romance wa..."

Exactly!

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "Yes!! Love triangles drive me nuts lately. They seem to be in every book. I look forward to books that don't have them."

FWIW, the only love triangles I've run into lately all seem to be in YA novels. Most of the other fiction I've read is blissfully free of love triangles.