Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Beautiful Creatures
Beautiful Creatures Discussions > Final Thoughts Beautiful Creatures

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Now that you are finished what do you think of the book? Was it too long? Will you read the next books in the series?

message 2: by Grace (last edited Jan 02, 2013 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments This book has been on my 'to read' list for a long time and now I wonder why. I enjoyed it while I was listening to it but it was way too long.

I was also put off by the author interview included at the end of the audiobook. I got the impression that the final product - what I listened to - was actually a group effort with significant input from the editors and not just the authors. It's almost as if the book was developed by a committee - and it shows with all the many disjointed elements.

I will NOT read the rest of the series.

message 3: by Kim (last edited Jan 02, 2013 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) I read Beautiful Creatures several years ago and I've been debating whether or not I want to reread it. This is because I'm intrigued about the movie and because I generally love books about witches (or "casters" in this case). But I haven't been able to convince myself that I want to read the sequels, let alone read it again. I have several friends who have read the sequels and they like them though.

Rebecca | 20 comments For one of the previous challenges, we had to read a book that was over 500 pages, so I chose Beautiful Creatures. I was so happy I did, because I loved every minute of it. From the first scene where he's dreaming and wakes up caked in mud, I was hooked. The story was intriguing; the characters seemed well-developed. I especially loved Amma and her old southern ways and suspicions; one of my favorite parts was when Ethan followed her. It was so interesting to learn more about her background and relationship with Macon. I'm reading the second one now, and am equally loving it. To me, it didn't feel like it was that long.

Chelsea | 3 comments So I just finished Beautiful Creatures after about a day and a half of solid reading, and I must admit that I am somewhat disappointed. It took me about 100 pages to get into it and I was extremely intrigued until the 400's. I think the story itself was "ok" but it was drug out way beyond necessity and I found myself extremely anxious just for it to end around page 450. The author(s) do have quite a way of building suspense which I did enjoy but besides that I am sloghtky disappointed. I have heard that the others in the series are much better, and i will say that the movie trailer looks good so I will be seeing it when it comes out.

Alfaro0726 | 5 comments I liked the book and will probably continue to read the series but I do believe that the author chose to milk it. it was completely possible to end the story in one book but chose to twist it to end in a cliff hanger. it was a good read otherwise.

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 47 comments I enjoyed it enough to read the next book. Plus I'm a little weird about series. I can't leave them unfinished no matter how much I dislike them.

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I read this a while ago, so all I have to go off of are some hazy memories. I remember thinking the book was tiresome because it was so long, especially since all that buildup ended up being a bit anti-climactic. Also, while I appreciated that it was the girl who has the paranormal one, I didn't think Lena or Ethan were particularly memorable. I agree with Kim that I haven't been able to bring myself to read the next books simply because they are so long and this one didn't leave me with a great impression.

From my review:

Some aspects of it were really unique - I liked the authors' daring to try and pull off a Southern Gothic, the fact that the girl was the supernatural one, the lack of a creepy-stalker-bad boy-love interest, and the unique abilities and creatures that are introduced in the book. The concepts of Casters and the curse of the Duchannes family, as well as the Light and Dark were fairly original. There were none of the standard elements of popular paranormal romance nowadays, but in the end, it was just another paranormal romance. It followed the same sort of storyline that has pumped out tons of bestsellers - boy inexplicably drawn to girl, one of them has supernatural powers, other one discovers whole new supernatural world superimposed and intertwined with "real" world, near-death encounter strengthens love for each other.

The novel was also a bit on the long and drawn out side, and the main characters didn't really cut it for me. They had their great moments and flaws, but I couldn't really make myself interested in their stories. They just went about their lives and I was just a curious onlooker, not so much a very interested reader. Both Lena and Ethan could have had more dimensions to them, because they spent a lot of the novel thinking the same thoughts and acting the same way.

The climax for me was a little predictable, but some parts of it were unexpected. I was intrigued by some of the questions and dilemmas raised in the end, but I wasn't satisfied with how the whole conflict was just thrown out the window until a later date. The ending didn't resolve anything at all; it just set the stage for another book.

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Half way through... the crossword references are driving me nuts!!

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Here is something I thought of while reading... would you chose the light or the dark side of magic?

Letícia Pacheco (lehpacheco) I read this book a while ago and I liked it but not as much as I thought I would. It felt like too many pages for too little story, and the romance didn't convince me(Ethan's obsession with Lena was so annoying sometimes).
I did, however, like the settings and the mythology and plan to read the next book, but it's not a priority right now.

message 12: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee (deekeath) **So hopefully everyone reading this has already finished the book, and this is the proper place for this review, but if not this may contain spoilers **

I liked the book, although I just finished "Beautiful Darkness" and liked it better. But back to book one...

Things I liked:

The sisters. They are hilarious.

Link. Funny character, and obviously a very loyal friend.

Amma. Likable character as well as mysterious

Macon. Mysterious as well, and for some reason he almost pops in my mind as a bit Robert Downey, Jr -ish. Like him.

Boo Radley and Lucille. However, as is the case in real life, I often prefer the company of pets over people... lol

The house. I want one. Mine is just boring in comparison. lol

Things I didn't like so much:

Lena is annoying and whiny, I agree with that.

Ethan's dad, and other town characters, annoyed me as well.

All the constant secrecy got a little tiring at times...

Ponderings:

So... Amma is obviously a great seer, with "powers" of her own, but then why did she not "see" that Ethan was following her? Or did she....

Why did bringing back the dead work for Lena but not for Genevieve? And why, if Genevieve's Ethan was brought back for only a few moments, was she then bound by a centuries long curse for her entire bloodline?

Whatever happened to the locket? Did I miss that?

message 13: by Tish (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 4 comments I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It was very slow to get started and once it got started it didn't go very far. I love long books very this one dragged on far beyond what it needed to. It's as if the author was trying very hard to build up the suspense and that resulted in a mediocre ending. I can't say I loved this. I don't even know of I liked it. I was expecting more than I got from all the build up.

Heather Bowhay | 14 comments I enjoy most books I read and love the rest. It hurts to say this, but other than the premise, I can't find anything nice to say about this one, other than thank goodness it is over. I'm one of those people who has to finish a book if I start it, and this one was so slow I would find excuses not to read, like ironing instead. Finally i found motivation because I wanted to start City of Bones.

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Grace wrote: "This book has been on my 'to read' list for a long time and now I wonder why. I enjoyed it while I was listening to it but it was way too long.

I was also put off by the author interview included ..."

That is interesting about the author interview. I had no idea about the editors having so much say.

message 16: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deanna wrote: "**So hopefully everyone reading this has already finished the book, and this is the proper place for this review, but if not this may contain spoilers **

I liked the book, although I just finis..."

hummm I think Ethan still has the locket. Genevieve didn't want it back and I am guessing he is supposed to give it to her dead love?

message 17: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I enjoyed this book but didn't love it. Some areas of the book just went on and on. I am actually kind of surprised this was made into a movie. One of the things for me is .. did it really need to be 600 pages long? Maybe that was too much.

The end of the book was amazing. I loved the last 100 pages or so. Exciting and things were finally coming together. I liked that some of the plot lines where hidden from us until the very end. Some I didn't even guess.n Larkin being Dark was a big surprise to me for example. I really loved the library in this book... though it would drive me nuts it's only open like 6 days a year!

I really loved Link as a friend. He was great and fun.

Question: was the dog killed? Boo was thrown to the side... did he ever come back? How did Ethan's mom die? (did I miss that part)? Deanna brings up a good questions that I didn't think of before that I feel should've been answer in this book. Why could Lena bring back the dead but not Genevieve? Because she was Natural and the chosen one?

I may wikipedia the rest of the series just to see what happens!

Some of the book was expected to me. Like the whole scene that was similar to Carrie when Lena and Ethan were at the dance and the bucket of wet snow landed on them. Really no teacher noticed this?

Overall I thought the book was OK... I think the movie will be much more fast paced and so therefore more enjoyable.

Elena (elenaselge) I finished it a couple of months ago and I actually think I spent more than a month reading it. And not particularly because of its length - I mean, hey, I've read Harry Potter, fat book's a good book - but mostly because I didn't find it very interesting, which is odd, considering my best friend absolutely loved it and we usually have the same taste when it comes to books, but.. I don't know. I just had mixed feelings when reading it.

On the on hand, I absolutely loved the writing style and I'm usually really critical and specific about it. But it was pretty beautifully written, easy to understand and well, I've got no bad words to say about the style. But on the other hand, I didn't find the storyline fascinating enough to keep me hooked. Lately there's something about supernatural YA fiction that I despise - maybe because there is too much of it? And the whole soulmatey, lovey-dovey, star-crossed lovers plot was just plain boring - there was no twist to it, really. It was just another supernatural love story.

It's like lately writers just use the some plot with different made-up supernatural beings. "oh, how about a devilboy with invisible horns and rage-blackouts.. and oh, what if he'd fall in love with a human girl? So original. Gonna write a book about it!!" And similar books just keep coming and coming and I just keep.. hating and hating them.

But anyway, my point is, that "Beautiful Creatures" wasn't a complete and utter crap but I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.. like.. ever. And I'm definitely not gonna read the sequels.

message 19: by *Layali* (last edited Jan 24, 2013 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

*Layali* (layalireads) | 95 comments Just finished last night. I really really liked the ideas behind the story. I loved the history and the Southern ways added in. All of the mystery and learning about your past relatives was so fun. I felt like it could have been executed a little bit better though. At times I felt like the story was being really drawn out and there were a lot of puppy love scenes that annoyed me.

However, I'm glad it wasn't like insta-love and I really enjoyed the ending where (view spoiler). That makes me so excited for the movie and I will probably pick up the next book sometime or another. We shall see! :)

message 20: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jennika wrote: "Just finished last night. I really really liked the ideas behind the story. I loved the history and the Southern ways added in. All of the mystery and learning about your past relatives was so fun...."

(view spoiler)

Brianna Nunez | 3 comments at the end i just wanted the next. I originally got the book 2 years ago and i didn't read it because i had others to read. i regret my choice. so many things happened and you could never get over what happened at the end i enjoyed it

Christine | 147 comments I LOVED this book! Like, 5 trillion stars! I identified with Ethan a lot, though I liked Lana's character a lot too. Beautifully written and an intriguing plot. I think my favorite parts were the flashbacks to the previous Ethan and the Duchannes girl, and the climax, of course! I really liked the supporting characters in the book too and THE SETTING. Probably my favorite part! I am totally ready to read the next (once I'm done with the books on my nightstand)! Here's my review for Beautiful Creatures:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 23: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I love the flashbacks too. I think those were really good and entertaining. Wish I read more historical fiction.

Christine | 147 comments Angie wrote: "I love the flashbacks too. I think those were really good and entertaining. Wish I read more historical fiction."

I am a big history nerd, so I try to read a lot of it.

Candice Willman I finally finished the book. I have to say that I actually enjoyed it. I think it was a little anti-climactic. It builds you up for a lot and kind of leads you hanging. I did enjoy more than I thought I was going to. there are a lot of unanswered questions....like did they really kill Ethan's mother? I will read the rest of the series to get all the answers and hopefully enjoy them as well. I'm still currently in shock from the ending.

Jenea (alohanea) | 15 comments Didn't think I would like it. I was definently proven wrong

Lindsey Davis | 2 comments I read the book because seeing the movie trailer peaked my interest. I always try to read the book before the movie because, let's be honest, the book is ALWAYS better than the movie. So after seeing the trailer I had somewhat high expectations for the book. As I started reading it it seemed to be a decent book. The further I got into it I was becoming slightly bored with it because of how the story was dragged out. As I was reading I was thinking "There's no way that half of this is going to end up in the movie." which makes me think that I will actually end up liking the movie better than the book. Near the end when we found out that Lena could choose to be light or dark and consequently with that choice either the light or dark family members would die; I thought how in the world can this be a series then? My question was answered with Lena blocking out the sixteenth moon....what? This ending wasn't a very satisfying one for me. I will end up reading the rest of the series because I'm curious to see what happens in this plot line, but I will probably borrow the books rather than purchasing the rest of them.

message 28: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I think that in this case the movie may be better then the book. Only because I think the movie will be really fast paced, where the book is slow.

message 29: by Whit (new) - added it

Whit | 12 comments I loved it and can not wait till the movie!!

Stephanie Ashworth (stephash24) I really liked the book!! and i NEED Beautiful Darkness!!

Lindsey Davis | 2 comments Angie wrote: "I think that in this case the movie may be better then the book. Only because I think the movie will be really fast paced, where the book is slow."

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

message 32: by Bess (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bess (Neli) | 29 comments I read Beautiful Creatures a number of years ago when it first came out and the one thing I remember thinking after the first few pages was 'holy crap is the protagonist a guy?!' The main character's 'voice' felt female to me or a poorly written male voice from a female perspective. Either way it blew and it was sort of all down hill from there. I thought the story was completely ordinary (and slow!), so I have no interest in reading the rest of the series. But I will watch the movie because surprisingly enough that looks a lot more interesting than the book I remember reading.

Em~Lost In A Dream~ | 7 comments Well...

Looking back a while,the story was a bit suprising and different.Reading the whole series(in a year,at that.)was great also,and i know some people don't like it.But i do.=) A lot.

That's all.

message 34: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bess wrote: "I read Beautiful Creatures a number of years ago when it first came out and the one thing I remember thinking after the first few pages was 'holy crap is the protagonist a guy?!' The main character..."

YES! Good point. I am happy that there is a book out there that is written from the point of view from a guy. Rarely do I read any books like this!

Michele(mluker) Luker | 1 comments One of the best series out there!! And the authors are so nice in person...

Jerry | 1 comments I read the whole series plus the spin off she wrote sbout riley and Luke, it's called Dangerous Creatures and i thought every1 was good and reccomend them to any1 who likes that gebre