Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Nicola's 50 for 2013

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki So the plan is for a good mix of books this year. Perhaps some of the American classics and even try some poetry. I got into autobiographies last year and was particularly taken with audio versions that were read by the authors themselves. This meant for a lot of celebrity bios with mixed results so this year perhaps more historical or political bios. For non fiction i'll just get inspired as time goes on. I'm still a little taken with space and have a couple more books on that to read. I'm also going to make a conscious effort to read an australian book. I avoid them like the plague and surely i'll like at least one of Tim Winton's eventually. I'd also like to keep up with a bookclub, its nice to talk to people about books, especially those books that stay with you and make you think.

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments hey! Change your topic :) Its 2013 :) Don't worry Ill be doing the same thing a lot I think

message 3: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1834 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "hey! Change your topic :) Its 2013 :) Don't worry Ill be doing the same thing a lot I think"

Heh -- I'm dreading the first time (or 20) I have to write a check. I always hate having to rewrite it because I screwed up the year :)

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Oops lol - thank you :)

message 5: by Mackenzie, Group Read Curator (new)

Mackenzie | 295 comments Mod
Nicola wrote: "I'm also going to make a conscious effort to read an australian book..."

Is that just a book by an Australian author?

Also, the group has a couple of bookclub-esque group reads each month so keep your eyes out for any titles you are interested in. Plus you can suggest any that you would like to read as a group.

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Thanks for the support Mackenzie. The main reason for joining Goodreads and this bookgroup was to get ideas and suggestions from others and thats going really well so far.

As for the Australian book - it probably should be one set in Australia else i'll just manage to find an Aussie author thats writing a who dunnit set in Brazil or something. Its the cliched outback and stereotypical struggles i'm avoiding and there must be some books that don't do that.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 56 comments Kate Morton is an Aussie Author and at least part of her book
The Forgotten Garden takes place in Australia.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country is a travel book set it Australia. It's one of my favorite's by him.