Beatdom discussion

139 views
On the Road the Movie

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip Bralich | 6 comments Haa anyone seen and is willing to comment on the Copola film, On the Road. US release is only in NY and LA so far.

Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D.
Author: Blaming Japhy Rider


message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip Bralich | 6 comments BTW has anyone read (or even heard of) my memoir, _Blaming Japhy Rider: Memoir of a Dharma Bum Who Survived_? It details my experience w/ Naropa, Beats, Buddhism, Poetry etc. Would love to discuss.


message 3: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
To your first question - Yes, I have seen it, and I rather enjoyed it. It's not a classic movie, for sure, but it was decently enough. Lovingly made, I'd said. Viggo Mortensen was excellent as Burroughs.

To the second - I'm afraid that I've never read your memoir. Looks like an interesting read from what I see on Amazon. But tell me, why "Rider" and not "Ryder"?


message 4: by mark (new)

mark Harris | 2 comments nobody has attempted to make a film of on the road for a reason..its just unmakeable....the new film is cool,but forgetable....no one will recommend it .no director will ever capture the drive,or excitement of the book...its almost like the guys that want to be neal,but just cant touch it!!


message 5: by Muin (new)

Muin | 1 comments Movie didnt do justice to book.
And i hate it when that kind of thing happens .
Jack and Allen is more inspirational then the director saw fit.


message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nikolopoulos (stephanieniko) | 8 comments When I went to see the film, someone actually offered me money for my ticket because it was all sold out. Of course I said no.

Here's my review of the film:::

http://stephanienikolopoulos.com/2012...


message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve (stevemalone) | 1 comments Philip wrote: "BTW has anyone read (or even heard of) my memoir, _Blaming Japhy Rider: Memoir of a Dharma Bum Who Survived_? It details my experience w/ Naropa, Beats, Buddhism, Poetry etc. Would love to discuss."

I saw the movie just recently on a Red Box DVD. Well... I had hopes for the movie but I was soon disappointed, for the movie was not like the book. It was nothing but drugs and sex and nothing more. The only good things about the movie were the actors and time setting - the only thing they got right pretty much. My advice? Don't bother worsting your hard earned money on it, it isn't worth it.


message 8: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments Have just seen the film - I'd give it 3 out of 5. It was certainly pleasing on a visual level, although the acting was less believable, except Viggo Mortensen, whose Burroughs impersonation was uncanny. It was fun and frenetic, but never managed to capture the poetic zeal of the book. As others have mentioned it also relies a bit too heavily on sex scenes and tea smoking!

Has anyone seen Howl with James Franco?


message 9: by Nevada (new)

Nevada McPherson | 4 comments John wrote: "Have just seen the film - I'd give it 3 out of 5. It was certainly pleasing on a visual level, although the acting was less believable, except Viggo Mortensen, whose Burroughs impersonation was unc..."

I liked the On the Road movie more than I expected to. The photography was lovely with its iconographic shots of the "mother road." I thought the acting was good, too, considering that as interesting as these characters are, I think they'd be difficult to play on screen. It seems that the Beats are at the cinema a good deal these days, with Kill Your Darlings coming soon (or possibly already at some festivals, etc.) I did see Howl-- and although one can visualize the wild and disturbing imagery of the poem while reading it, the animation accompanying the text in the movie, which intercuts live action scenes (mostly set during the "Howl" obscenity trial) is pretty mind-blowing!


message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nikolopoulos (stephanieniko) | 8 comments John wrote: "Have just seen the film - I'd give it 3 out of 5. It was certainly pleasing on a visual level, although the acting was less believable, except Viggo Mortensen, whose Burroughs impersonation was unc..."

I thought Howl was brilliantly done!

I just saw Kill Your Darlings last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it did contain inaccuracies.

Burning Furiously Beautiful: The True Story of Jack Kerouac's On the Road


message 11: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments Just seen Howl and it was a pleasure to watch! The animated scenes were sensational and Franco was pretty good as Ginsberg in my opinion.

Gotta wait until December to see Kill Your Darlings in the UK.

Also looking forward to reading 'Burning Furiously Beautiful' Stephanie..


message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Scown | 4 comments I liked On the Road but will agree it is far from a classic, but didnt we all expect as much? This was not a book I believed would be able to be captured on film with the same 'zing' for lack of a better work.
Howl, I enjoyed very much. James Franco did an excellent job. I found this film to gel better in relation to the text.
Kill Your Darlings is next, still hasnt made it down under. Then I'm taking on Big Sur. Wish me luck.


message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nikolopoulos (stephanieniko) | 8 comments John wrote: "Just seen Howl and it was a pleasure to watch! The animated scenes were sensational and Franco was pretty good as Ginsberg in my opinion.

Gotta wait until December to see Kill Your Darlings in the..."


Thanks, John! I hope you enjoy it!!


message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nikolopoulos (stephanieniko) | 8 comments Nicole wrote: "I liked On the Road but will agree it is far from a classic, but didnt we all expect as much? This was not a book I believed would be able to be captured on film with the same 'zing' for lack of a ..."

Nicole, I agree James Franco did a great job in Howl! I enjoyed Kill Your Darlings, even if it strayed from fact at times. Haven't seen Big Sur yet. What did you think of it??


message 15: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments I just watched Big Sur. I had high hopes for this film since seeing the trailer, but I'm left feeling just a bit unfulfilled. First of all it will surely only appeal to informed Beat fans, i.e members of this group! Secondly, it focuses almost exclusively on Kerouac and his alcoholic breakdown, with no development of other characters.

HOWEVER, the actor playing Kerouac really makes it worth a watch, very well acted, and he even looks quite a bit like Jack.

Big Sur is my pretty much my favourite Kerouac novel, so I may be a harsh critic, but even so this film followed the book quite closely and is essential viewing for any Kerouac fan


message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 6 comments John wrote: "I just watched Big Sur. I had high hopes for this film since seeing the trailer, but I'm left feeling just a bit unfulfilled. First of all it will surely only appeal to informed Beat fans, i.e memb..."

I am looking forward to seeing Big Sur, but thus far, the only beat movie I've truly enjoyed was "Howl." On the Road just didn't capture the feeling I have every time I read "Road." It certainly wasn't a bad movie, I just think that perhaps film is not the best medium to capture Kerouac's experimental intensity.


message 17: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments Stephanie wrote: "When I went to see the film, someone actually offered me money for my ticket because it was all sold out. Of course I said no.

Here's my review of the film:::

http://stephanienikolopoulos.com/201..."

This is an excellent review. It was a very good movie, but not a great one, and the reason may be that Kerouac the observer was just another character, and losing the point of view is like losing the prose. But the director painted a Beatific America, and the movie had a real mood. I thought "On the Road" the film took more shit than it deserved.


back to top