The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower question

Movie or the Book?
Laura Laura Dec 31, 2012 03:22PM
Personally, I always like the books better, but I thought the movie was really really good. Which did you guys like better and why?

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is my favorite book in the world, so of course I loved it. But my grandparents took me to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower on Christmas Eve (I was very excited because I was seeing the movie on Charlie's birthday!) and it was truly amazing. If I am being honest, I cried. My sister came with us to see the movie and she hears me talk about The Perks of Being a Wallflower book all the time and it really annoyed her, but when we left the movie, she turned to me with her eyes red, with tears on her cheeks and said "Wow, that was infinite."
So while yes, I loved the book, I loved the movie too. It had the power to change my sister's whole view on the book and actually, on life, and I think that when a movie can do that, it's pretty amazing and powerful.

I'm one of the few people that didn't like the movie at all. I felt like Logan(who played Charlie) did not act well, sorry no, he acted well, but the voice-overs? I could tell he was acting, it didn't feel natural at all. Some people were bothered by Emma's accent, but I didn't particularly notice it. Patrick seemed almost too generic, and I was very annoyed that Charlie never cries. I also didn't like that they started with admitting he had been in the hospital. That discovery was something special in the novel.

But although I was irritated through most of the movie, the scene in the truck when Charlie's just gotten out of the hospital was beautifully done. I think it saved the movie.

I actually absolutely hated the book, I didn't understand everyone's fascination with it. I felt like he was stuffing too many dark things into one story. However, I was kinda dragged to the movie and honestly I loved it! The movie left out some of the controversies and really focused on Charlie, which I appreciated.

Movie for sure.

I prefer the book because, in my opinion, the books are always better. But the movie was so good. I think the reason it was as good as it was is because Stephen Chbosky was involved in it.

Perffer the movie myself. He was kind of annoying in the book.

The book for sure. The movie missed out some parts, and to me it feels as if they were very important to both the story and Charlie's journey. I connected with the characters more throughout the book, although the movie was outstanding.

The movie is a really good adaptation but if you want the full Perks experience then you have to read the book. The prose is great, the jokes are funny and imaging Charlie sayign half the things he does in the book with your own personal Charlie voice is the best.

i think i liked the book more , it explains a lot , though the movie was the reason i read the book . however, the movie started with him going to hospital i felt it would have been much better if it started with the original plot .

movie. yes. i said it.

book! but i like the movie too, bc of logan lerman and emma watson :)

Both!

deleted member Feb 09, 2013 01:51PM   0 votes
Always the book. You can fit more into a book, it leaves more to the imagination. I did enjoy the movie but the book was definitely better.

encontré que la pelicula esta SUPER bien adaptada. Quedé feliz con lo que vi en el cine.

Dedo arriba para el director

I always love the books but better! I liked this book better than the movie! But the movie was amazing too! :)

I love both. The book and the movie were amazing. I think the movie complements the book and the both together are an awesome experience.

I adored both so much. The casting was amazing, for example Ezra Miller as Patrick. The movie was beautifully done, as was the novel. Both are so wonderful, but I feel like the movie could have gone a bit deeper.

I am ALWAYS a fan of the book over the movie except in this one rare instance. The book was okay, but the writing felt a bit disjointed (perhaps a bit like Charlie's life?) and awkwardly over-emotional. I thought the movie actually did a better job portraying the importance of good friends that can help get you through the tough times in life. The movie left me tearful, happy, and thankful all at the same time. I am glad, however, that Stephen Chbosky wrote the screen play. It's like he got a second chance to make his novel even better which is another reason I think the movie is so successful.

I also like both. Chbosky excellently presented both but of course nothing beats the original which is the book but both for me are GREAT!

Well, I haven't seen the movie yet, but the book was phenomenal. I plan on buying the movie when it comes out on DVD, so I'll be able to watch it then :)

I prefer the book, in my opinion. (:

I watched the movie first. I liked the movie a little better than the book.

This was seriously one of my favorite book to movie adaptations, and I think I might like the movie better. While I like having the extra knowledge and character development from the book, I think the movie just made it more real.

Kath (last edited Feb 10, 2013 09:40PM ) Feb 10, 2013 09:38PM   0 votes
I personal thing that both complement very well in the book only see how Charly see them and with the movie watch another perspective

I just saw the movie and I loved it! But The Perks of Being a Wallflower will forever be one of my favorite reads. Honestly, I really think Charlie, Patrick and Sam where portrayed almost exactly how I imagined them in the movie while I was reading the book. I cannot choose which I like better because they are both amazing! My favorite part was the tunnel scene after the dance ^.^

I think both are great! First time I can't choose one... The only thing missing from the movie was the story with her sister... I think the abortion part would have been perfect for the movie.

The movie is better!

Matt bingo.
Feb 20, 2013 09:17PM · flag

see i HAVE to see a movie before i read the book bc i always feel the movie is horrible compared to the book. i saw the movie first and LOVED it...i received the book for christmas and LOVED it. i def agree with many of you that the movie was most likely as good as it was bc stephen chbosky directed it. to me the book will almost always be better then the movie. it just gives details that the movie cant portray.

deleted member Jan 01, 2013 12:08PM   0 votes
I thought the movie was a really good reflection of the book because Stephewn Chbosky also wrote it and co-produced it. I like the book better because the books always have more details. But it was a really good thing that Chbosky didn't let it be butchered by producers who didn't know what they were doing, without him the movie would've sucked.

I listened to the audio book, and I have to say it was a great book. The movie... Not so much. I liked the actors but I don't think you got to really see who Charlie is. The book allowed you to really get to know him. And at times I found the movie a bit boring. I did like the last scene, where they go thru the tunnel, I guess it was similar to what I imagined. Yet I felt so much was missing.
I have to say I never really like any of the movies based on books.

The movie, it is only the second movie I've ever seen in my life that made me cry outright in the theatre. The book was good, but I didn't think it had the same impact as the movie. I think it was better suited to be in a movie, in my honest opinion.

I liked the movie better because the book was too childish and the actors were really spectacular

The book in my opinion had more details and it caused impact I really felt infinite reading it but the movie was awesome I cried a lot. I can't choose

Both were phenomenal, but always the book for me.

I liked both 'cause I've seen that the movie did absolutely gave justice to the book.

I liked both very much, but I don't know.. it might indeed be the first time I ever thought the movie was better than the book.

Matt yeah, buddy.
Feb 20, 2013 09:17PM · flag

They are both perfect! But the book is a bit better...

Book!

I, for the first time ever, preferred the movie. That may be due to the fact that I watched the movie first but I felt that the movie did a better job of relaying Charlie's emotions to us, and little things like the music made a huge difference, which obviously you can't have in a book. I didn't cry reading the book, but I cried a lot watching the movie. Some things, I preferred in the book, like Charlie's relationship with his sister, but I think overall, the movie was better.

Jacqueline (last edited Feb 25, 2013 09:01AM ) Feb 25, 2013 08:59AM   0 votes
The movie doesn't portray Charlie the way he is in the book, that I think is the main problem with it. (not to mention Logan Lerman just can't look 15 no matter how hard they try.) The movie was good but i think it swayed from the almost shocking sadness and naivety that Charlie possessed in the book. And though the author directed the movie and all that i still think the movie really took the book and turned into a hollywood interpretation.

deleted member Jan 09, 2013 04:52PM   0 votes
Both! I think, because the guy who wrote the book also wrote the screenplay and directed the movie, the story transitions really well. Also the actors are really good in the parts that they play, especially Ezra Miller as Patric.

The book, for sure! The movie was good, but I expected a lot more. I felt like Charlie's relationship with his sister and his English teacher were kind of superficial in the movie. It didn't really show how deep his thoughts were...