You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Ann's Alphabet Adventure, High Octane Version

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) I'm in for the High Octane challenge although I may be sorry later - but I'm jumping in!
I will post as I go because I am a by the seat of my pants person and read according to my moods so I will try to announce 3 at a time at least.
Now, do I make a shelf for them or do I just post on here when I've finished each book?

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments I'm glad you've decided to join us. This thread is your official reporting thread. It's not necessary to put them onto a shelf unless you want to or are going to use the challenge feature to track them.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Ok, thanks. how would I go about using the challenge feature or how do I find it?

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments Check out message 296 on this thread.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Thanks, Judy. I just picked my first book for the challenge and am ready to start reading! I pickedThe Lost Diary of Don Juan: An Account of the True Arts of Passion and the Perilous Adventure of Love which has 279 pages excluding the glossary and acknowledgements. I am off to read!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Just finished The Lost Diary of Don Juan An Account of the True Arts of Passion and the Perilous Adventure of Love by Douglas Carlton Abrams which I enjoyed very much. Now I have picked my next book which is Whisker of Evil (Mrs. Murphy, #12) by Rita Mae Brown I love seeing the books come off my bookshelves and make their way to the Goodwill!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Well done Ann, one down...

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments It's great seeing people already completing books for their alphabets. :)

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Thanks Helen, Janice and Judy! Now I have my 2nd book completed! I just finished Whisker of Evil and will be starting another one soon. I just haven't picked it out yet!

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments Wow, and it's only Jan 4!

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Great job, Ann! That alphabet doesn't stand a chance ;)

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Ok. I have selected my C book. It is: The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating FactsIt looks interesting and I can't wait to start it this afternoon!

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) I finished The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts and I enjoyed it very much. I feel like I learned a lot about all the books. If I ever get time to re-read them I'll appreciate a lot more. Today I'm starting on my January read and tomorrow I'll pick out my D book!

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments I may have to check that book out. It does sound interesting.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) I did really enjoy it. It's been sitting on my shelf so long I don't even remember where I picked it up. Now for my "D" bookAsk Again Later I started it last night but I took the day off from reading today so I have not progressed. I do that every so often so I don't burn out! And sometimes my eyes just get tired!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Ok, I have finished Ask Again Later which actually turned out better than I expected. I will be reading a Janet Evanovich book for my "E" book but I haven't decided which one yet. I'm going to work on another challenge I'm in for tonight and the come back to the alphabet! Happy Reading! I'm also trying to get ready for the Toppler!

message 17: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Ann, you have been a reading machine!

message 18: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Holy Cow! Four books! Magnificent! Congratulations! : )

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments Here's another thread where books are flying off the list! Way to go Ann.

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Thanks, everyone! I love to read and sometimes I think I take on too much, but since I am unfortunately unemployed I have lots of time on my hands and I'd rather read than watch tv!

message 21: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 194 comments I love to read more than watch Tv also. I get engrossed in books more than I do with Tv.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Okay, I'm finally back to my alphabet mission! I have just started my "E" book To the Nines today. In the meantime I read the monthly books and some for another challenge in another group. I have gotten all the January books done and am looking forward to February titles!

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) A little more than halfway through To the Nines and loving every bit of it! This series just cracks me up and I've enjoyed every one so far.

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Finished my E book last night. Today am starting The Service of Clouds for my F book.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Finished the "F" The Service of Clouds
and now starting "G" Mary, Called Magdalene Longer, but I think I can get it done before the 1st of February so I can start all the February tasks and get ready for the Toppler!

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments I've had Mary, Called Magdalene on my wishlist for a while. I'll be interested in your thoughts on it.

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) I'm about 20 pages in and so far it's reading very well. Good pace of narration and it seems like character development is going to be deep and thorough. There's a good section at the back of the book which gives basically an in-depth summary of the book and also a question/answer with the author which I used to make my choice for this phase of my alphabet challenge.

message 28: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments You're doing so great, Ann!

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Thanks! Actually right now I have stopped reading - I have to give my eyes a rest! Even with my glasses! It's killing me because I want to continue the story but it's hard with my eyes starting to tear up after a couple pages! I guess I'm just gonna have to wait a little while!

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Thanks Judy! The rest did work - I started reading again last night and this morning when I started I couldn't stop and I've reached over 250 pages! In a 600 plus page book I have at least made a dent!

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Finished my G book Mary, Called Magdalene
Thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I will have to pick out an "H" book!

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Finally found my "H" book! Cry No More by Linda Howard Starting it tonight!

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments That sounds like an interesting read, Ann!

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Janice, I'm 50 pages in and so far it seems like it will land somewhere around a 3 for me! The subject matter sounded very interesting to me but so far the writing and the dialogue are dragging it down a bit. Hopefully it will get better!

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Well I finished Cry No More by Linda Howard and I rated it a 3 as I thought! It actually turned out a little better than I was expecting! My "I" book will be a Gregg Iles book but I'm not sure which one as I have several on my shelf. Will report when I decide!

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Ok my "I" book will be:
True Evil by Greg Iles

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Well, now that the toppler is over I am starting my "I" book as described above.

message 38: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Finished True Evil by Greg Iles and I enjoyed it a lot. I really enjoy his books. His plots are involved and really make you think. I gave it 4 stars. I am now starting Without Mercy by Lisa Jackson I have read a few others of hers which I enjoyed so I have high hopes for this one.

message 39: by Ann (last edited Feb 26, 2013 01:00PM) (new)

Ann (disciple45) Finished my J author Without Mercy by Lisa Jackson and I enjoyed it. Pretty suspenseful. I am going to write my review now and then I will spend some time trying to figure out how to link it.

I tried but I can't figure it out at all. If somebody can explain it to me I'd appreciate it but for now, here's my review:It was very suspenseful and I never expected the ending at all. The only thing was that the protagonist really irritated me. She seemed exaggerated - when she was paranoid it seemed unreasonable to me but then again sometimes I guess paranoia is unreasonable! But I got past that as the story progressed. I would recommend it if you like suspense and mystery stories in the vein (though not as good as) of Mary Higgins Clark.

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Now for my "K" author, I selected The Mitford Bedside Companion A Treasury of Favorite Mitford Moments, Author Reflections on the Bestselling Series, and More. Much More. by Jan Karon It's been on my shelf for a long time now, so this is as good a time as any to get it read!

message 41: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Ann....in order to link your review, go to your review and simply copy the link ( the www. Address). Then copy it into your post.

message 42: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Thanks, April! THAT I can do!

message 43: by April (new)

message 44: by Ann (last edited Jun 01, 2013 03:11PM) (new)

Ann (disciple45) http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
That's my review for my "K" author book The Mitford Bedside Companion A Treasury of Favorite Mitford Moments, Author Reflections on the Bestselling Series, and More. Much More. by Jan Karon I enjoyed it and I would recommend the series highly.

Okay I'm going to try this. I have lost 4 posts on this thread and I can't figure out why so I'm going to list my books here until something changes! My "L" book was Touch by Elmore Leonard and here's my review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... I have now started my "M" book which is The Ice Child by Elizabeth McGregor I'm about 100 pages in and I'm enjoying it very much so far! I hope now my post will stay put!
Well, they are missing again! I have finished The Ice Child Gave it a 4, really enjoyed it. Here is my review: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12... Now I'm off to look for an "N" book!
My "N" book is It looks like a good thriller! The Girls He Adored by Jonathan Nasaw
I just finished this one. I will be starting another book I want to read before I go on to my "O" book
3/29 The O book I selected is The Falls I hope this one is good. I've read another book by this author and I really struggled through it. But everyone deserves a second chance!
I finished the "O" book and I posted it but of course now my post is missing! This is getting really annoying! It was The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates and I reviewed it. My "P" book was He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters and here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... I haven't chosen a "Q" book yet.
I chose Wait Until Midnight  by Amanda Quick for my Q book. I'm about 75% through it and I love it! I'll probably finish it today. I guess I'll start looking for my "R"
My "R" book is Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9) by Ann Rule I'm enjoying it. Still having trouble with my posts not staying on this thread. Very annoying.
I finished Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9) by Ann Rule today and here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... My "S" book is going to be
The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1) by Trenton Lee Stewart
I wish this thread would stop deleting my posts.
I finished The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1) by Trenton Lee Stewart gave it a 4 star rating and here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... My "T" book will be Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
Finished Amy Tan yesterday. Starting my "U" book, Rabbit, Run I have my "V" and "W" books tentatively picked out and then I have to work out a "X" book. Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Finished Rabbit, Run Here's my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... I am reading Something Dangerous (Spoils of Time Trilogy) by Penny Vincenzi now for my "V" book. So far I am loving it!
Finished V last night. Will post my W when I have chosen from the 5 books I have by W authors! Here's my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
My W book is Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5) by Stuart Woods Got into about page 150 last night, it's very good so far!
Finished Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5) by Stuart Woods and really enjoyed it - gave it 4 stars. Here's my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
My X will be A Case of Two Cities by Qiu Xiaolong as soon as it comes in at the library! Finished it! Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... Now I have to choose between 2 "Y" books. For my "Y" book I chose Only Children and I finished it today. Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
I am now waiting for my "Z" book to come from the library! It's The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Finished! Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... I gave it 5 stars! And now I am done with this thread and I am starting a new one since I still can't read my posts on here! On I go to task #2!

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments You should get a prize for the longest title!

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) lol! It was rather wordy wasn't it!

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) Finally, at long last I have found an "L" book! I will be reading Touch Looks interesting and I found it on my shelf!

message 48: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments So it was hiding in plain sight. LOL

I'm trying to decide on my L book. I have it down to two, just not sure what I'm in the mood for.

message 49: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) And now that I've started it, I'm not sure I like it! But I will give it the usual 50 pages and then if not, I will take myself over to the library and find something!

message 50: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments It's even worse to not like a book you own. I hope it turns around for you!

« previous 1