Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 693 (693 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Begin your 2013 posts here.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Si, El Jefe!

message 3: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments JF: Thread of Suspicion by Jeff Shelby
NR: Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments JF: Shanghai Moon by SJ Rozan....with about 30 pages to go, I just couldn't stay up to finish it in 2012. So my first read of the year ;)

NR: On the Line by Rozan

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments JF: Endangeredby Eliot Schrefer (last of 2012)
NR:The Midwife of Veniceby Roberta Rich (first of 2013)

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Finally! I promised myself I wouldn't post on the Just Finished thread for 2013 until I finished a book!
JF (Library hardcover) The Boy in the Suitcase a very well paced thriller.
NR (listening audio) Broken Harbor It is funny to almost wish for bit more traffic (not really) to be able to listen longer... :)

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Great New years start, Dawn! It took me until late on the second to finish one I started in December
Dawn wrote: "JF: Shanghai Moon by SJ Rozan....with about 30 pages to go, I just couldn't stay up to finish it in 2012. So my first read of the year ;)
NR: On the Line by Rozan"

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Ann, last night I finished A Place Of Execution by Val McDermid, which I started in December. What a book to start the year; it was excellent. I sat in my living room in front of the fire, just listening, I was that caught up in the denouement. It got my first 5/5 rating in quite some time.

Ann wrote: "Great New years start, Dawn! It took me until late on the second to finish one I started in December
Dawn wrote: "JF: Shanghai Moon by SJ Rozan....with about 30 pages to go, I just couldn't stay u..."

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Ann wrote: "Finally! I promised myself I wouldn't post on the Just Finished thread for 2013 until I finished a book!
NR (listening a..."

Ann, I've been debating whether to try Broken Harbor...but if you like it, I may just add it to the never ending list :)

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Ann wrote: "Finally! I promised myself I wouldn't post on the Just Finished thread for 2013 until I finished a book!
NR ..."

broken harbor made my top 10 list for 2012. very well written.

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments Finally! I promised myself I wouldn't post on the Just Finished thread for 2013 until I finished a book! ...
I admire your sense of resolve.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I started broken harbor and. Couldn't get into it, so I returned it to
the library.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Susie: I am enjoying it quite a bit, do add it to the list! Amy, it was different than the immediate connection I felt with the first two Tana French books, but while I am not yet 50% in, I was so into the story that I didn't want to "leave it in the car" over the holidays. The narrator has a pretty nice voice for the Irish accents which adds to the experience.
Amy wrote: "I started broken harbor and. Couldn't get into it, so I returned it to
the library."

Susie in KS wrote: "Ann, I've been debating whether to try Broken Harbor...but if you like it, I may just add it to the never ending list :) "

message 14: by Ann (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:19PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Thanks, Carol! I will definitely add A Place Of Execution to my list! hmm, it was a Masterpiece movie too, another plus!
It is good to start the year off with a really good book! To date, A Darker Domain has been my favorite Val McDermid book. It looks like Sandi and Sally both liked it too.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, last night I finished A Place Of Execution by Val McDermid, which I started in December. What a book to start the year; it was excellent."

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments has anyone started reading The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin yet?

message 16: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Sherry wrote: "has anyone started reading The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin yet?"

Yup. Waiting for the comments to start.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Daniel wrote: "Sherry wrote: "has anyone started reading The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin yet?"

Yup. Waiting for the comments to start."

Wow! You guys are fast. Still finishing A Question of Identity but I'd better start so I don't get left behind.

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Sherry wrote: "has anyone started reading The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin yet?"

Wow! You guys are fast. Still finishing A Question of I..."

i haven't started it yet- am trying to finish the panther. and would like to squeeze in something a little lighter before i start it so was curious if anyone had yet.

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Daniel wrote: "Sherry wrote: "has anyone started reading The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin yet?"

comment away, young man!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments The Twelve audio is waiting at my library now! But I won't start it for at least a week until I finish Broken Harbor. It will take me a while to listen, probably all month. Eager to start it, but like you, Sherry want to be all set for it!

message 21: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments JF: China Trade by Rozan
SR:(Still reading)Fall of Giants by Follett

I have to wait a month to continue with Rozan, there are 4 free on Kindle Library to prime members :)

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments j/f: The Panther (John Corey, #6) by Nelson DeMille - nelson demille
n/r: The End of Your Life Book Club- will schwalbe
next up is the twelve. i need a little diversion before i start it.

message 23: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1199 comments Ann wrote: "Thanks, Carol! I will definitely add A Place Of Execution to my list! hmm, it was a Masterpiece movie too, another plus!
It is good to start the year off with a really good book! To date, A Darker Domain has been my favorite Val McDermid book. It looks like Sandi and Sally both liked it too."

Yes, I loved A Place Of Execution. One of the best books I read back in 2000.

message 24: by Shomeret (last edited Jan 05, 2013 03:12PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments JF: Songs of Love and Death an anthology containing some well-known authors including Diana Gabaldon

NR: Mandarin Gateby Eliot Pattison (Tibetan mystery)

message 25: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments J/F: the boy in the suitcase a few days ago. today was another fast spicy read. I think so far this month I hace finished 4 books. so off to a good start
NR: Into the storm by brockmann, Lover Avenged by Ward, and a few oher's on the nook a kleypas book and a frost book.
I haven't started The twelve yet but hopefully will start it some time this week. I want to see if I can get caught upw ith a few of the ones I'm currently reading or backed up on. It seems I have 2 right now on the nook that are grp reads plus one hc and that is not counting what I'm behind on.

message 26: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Shomeret wrote: "JF: Songs of Love and Death an anthology containing some well-known authors including Diana Gabaldon

NR: Mandarin Gateby Eliot Pattison (Tibetan mystery)"

I read SONGS OF LOVE AND DEATH a couple of years ago. Some good stories, some not so good!

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments LizH wrote: "JF: China Trade by Rozan
SR:(Still reading)Fall of Giants by Follett

I have to wait a month to continue with Rozan, there are 4 free on Kindle Library to prime members :)"

I've been catching up with the Rozan series. I only have the most recent one left, but am going to read something in between because the last one On the Line was so inttense I feel like I need to take a breath!

message 28: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I'm reading a really good one! Picked this up at Walmart 2 weeks ago for $13.49(1/2 price)
The Intercept by Dick Wolf, writer, producer & creator of NBC's Law & Order. This is his first book in a series featuring NYPD detective Jeremy Fisk.
Dick Wolf makes his literary debut with this tense, driving thriller, reminiscent of the classic The Day of the Jackal, an extraordinary tale filled with the ingenious twists and high-wire suspense we have come to expect from this master storyteller

Days before the July Fourth holiday and the dedication of One World Trade Center at Ground Zero, an incident aboard a commercial jet flying over the Atlantic Ocean reminds everyone that vigilance is not a task to be taken lightly. But for iconoclastic NYPD detective Jeremy Fisk, it may also be a signal that there is much more to this case than the easy answer of this being just the work of another lone terrorist.

Fisk—assigned to the department's Intelligence Division, a well-funded antiterror unit modeled on the CIA—suspects that the event might also be a warning sign that another, potentially more extraordinary scheme has been set in motion. Fluent in Arabic and the ways of his opponents, Fisk is a rule breaker who follows his gut—even if it means defying those above him in the department's food chain. So when a passenger from the same plane, a Saudi Arabian national, disappears into the crowds of Manhattan, it's up to Fisk and his partner Krina Gersten to find him before the celebrations begin.

Watching each new lead fizzle, chasing shadows to dead ends, Fisk and Gersten quickly realize that their opponents are smarter and more agile than any they have ever faced. Extremely clever and seemingly invisible, they are able to exploit any security weak-ness and anticipate Fisk's every move . . . and time is running out.

Really enjoying this one, had me in the first chapter.
Note: I'm a Dish customer, this weekend HBO & Cinemax is free this week-end. I'm going to be busy recording.

message 29: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Right now I am page 62 and already they took out a terrorist entering a New York subway and now reading about Ramstein Air Base in Germany, where Fisk and others are going thru all evidence collected from Bin Laden's compound to get more info. on other possible terrorist's actions.

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments Lorraine, you've convinced me! Requesting The Intercept right now!!

NR: Extra Credit by Maggie Barbieri

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments JF Chosen For Death (Thea Kozak Mysteries I have read several later books in this series, the library added the first book so grabbed it!

NL Broken Harbor this audio is mesmerizing!

almost ready for The Twelve

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Have fun with the free premium TV recording this weekend Lorraine! As good as Law and Order has always been I suppose that it not unexpected that Dick Wolf's book would be very good. Look at Lee Child's transition from TV to print! Hoping to go see Reacher this weekend... which feels like March or April..

Brakedrum wrote: "I'm reading a really good one! Picked this up at Walmart 2 weeks ago for $13.49(1/2 price)The Intercept by Dick Wolf, writer, producer & creator of NBC's Law & Order. This is his first book in a...Really enjoying this one, had me in the first chapter.
Note: I'm a Dish customer, this weekend HBO & Cinemax is free this week-end. I'm going to be busy recording. "

message 33: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments So far this year I finished 9 books. good in 12 days. seems when I wake during the night I started reading the nook for awhile. seems I have too many books started. I hope today I can finish a jeaniene frost book and maybe a lorelei james book both on the nook which is charging now.
still going is from potter's field by Cornwell (it's so hard when you know what happens in later books to go back to read the ones you skipped. And reading both the twelve on the nook and the library book I figure since I saw 2 copies in the library it was a sign to get it out.

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Nine books in eleven days is great DonnaJo!
I am busily organizing my library books which are mostly audio books.
Looks like my next NR Library print book should be Gold may start it today
NR Kindle library Heat Rises

message 35: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments I'm trying to write more in my comments and keep up with the book journals. I still haven't finished with the 2012 books. have to do nov. and dec yet to update the bookshelve here. I'm so bad.
even with the 9 books I'm still behind since some of the finished books were just other books and not grp reads. if I ever get offline today I hope to maybe get another grp read finished and maybe start one I'm behind on.

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Donnajo wrote: "So far this year I finished 9 books. good in 12 days. seems when I wake during the night I started reading the nook for awhile. seems I have too many books started. I hope today I can finish a ..."

9 books? i am impressed. i've finished 2 and since The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin is my next book, i don't think i'll finish more this month.

message 37: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments j/f: The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe - the end of your life book club by will schwalbe
n/r: The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin - the twelve by justin cronin

message 38: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments Sherry wrote: "j/f: The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe- the end of your life book club by will schwalbe
n/r: The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin- the twelve by justin cronin"

What did think of the book?

message 39: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Sherry wrote: "j/f: The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe- the end of your life book club by will schwalbe
n/r: The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin- the twelve by justin cronin"

What di..."

The End of Your Life Book Club? i liked it a lot.. very moving story

message 40: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments Sherry wrote: "Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Sherry wrote: "j/f: The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe- the end of your life book club by will schwalbe
n/r: The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin- the twelve by ..."

I have it for the nook hopefully at some point I'll get to it.

message 41: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Sherry: I started The End of Your Life Book Club a few weeks ago and then had to return it to the library unread. I thought it started out very well and was looking forward to it, hope to get it again soon. Looks like I need to get cracking on The Twelve. I picked the audio book up today. Hope to start it Wednesday. Twenty -one CDs! Yikes probably four weeks to listen...

message 42: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry: I started The End of Your Life Book Club a few weeks ago and then had to return it to the library unread. I thought it started out very well and was looking forward to it, hope to get it ag..."

ann- i figure the twelve will take me the rest of the month to read. it's a really BFB.

message 43: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments I was able to finish both the Jeaniene frost book and the lorelei james both last night. so another two books added onto the month. 11 books in 13 days.
I'll need to download the end of your life book club onto the nook. don't know when I'll get to read it. I'm really "Booked up" for awhile. LOL. I need to start doing better sheduling with these grp reads or I'll never catch up.
plus it doesn't help I always have more than 2 books going.
I was hoping to try for 1 book a day in The twelve thinking they would all be like the 1st book haha they aren't. And I guess the type of book it is it's not like you are turning the pages fast. Going to try my best getting so much read a day.

message 44: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Donnajo wrote: "So far this year I finished 9 books. good in 12 days. seems when I wake during the night I started reading the nook for awhile. seems I have too many books started. I hope today I can finish a ..."

Good for you on the book counts so far this year, DJ!

Be careful of starting too many books on the eReader. I've been reading When the Game Was Ours by Jackie McMullen, about Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, for about two years now -- it's my book of last resort if I have nothing else open and I want to read on an eReader. I should "determine" to finish it this year!

message 45: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments You know it's so easy on the nook to keep starting something else because it's on hand. but usually I have a romance or something easy that I can read if I get up during the night. then it seems alot of the grp reads lately that is where I have them. but I been slowing down on those. meaning I'm getting behind. But I figured if it's brockmann or cornwell I'm not reading every single book since I read alot of them already. so I'll catch up faster than everyone else. Right now since I took from potters field to go with my sister for her appt. I got over 100 pages read while waiting. so I have less than 100 left which is hc. of course I have the next book which I'm already behind on. also force of nature by brockmann so figured I'll read that one first. I had the nook with me since we stopped at BN and I wanted to see how that ereader case that has a shoulder strap would fit but they didn't have it. so have to end up going to my usual location the girl said they should have it there. anyway, I read a few pages on the nook of The twelve but couldn't concentrate with the tv on news. so went back to the cornwell book.

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments JF Broken Harbor - audio, this latest Tana French novel did not disappoint and I had high expectations.
NR The Twelve - audio, abrupt CD changes without intro's will take some getting used to. Traffic tonight gave me plenty of time to enjoy Scott Brick reading to me as I drove.

message 47: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments Well it snowed not too bad but slick. I did go get weighed in but decided not to go to the needlepoint book grp at 1pm. not worth going out in this weather with the crazy drivers. Roads are slipperty with slush and ice in areas and you think that slows people down no they seem to be all in a rush. so not worth going on the highway with the tractor trailers that really are crazy and it's supposed to get icy as the day goes on. robbie had no school. first they did delayed opening then cancelled it. so going to just relax now and read. I'm disappointed not going to the f2f book grp to talk about gone girl since I read the book. I already had to go outside the guys didn't clean the sidewalk going from my front stoop to the driveway which I can't understand why they didn't do. plus from the water going off the roof I again have a flood going off my stoop. they still haven't sent someone to fix it. I can see tomorrow it being icy if it gets cold tonight. at least the snow wasn't as bad as they said. my town was the worst roads when I went out this morning.
Tomorrow robbie & isabelle's little sister will be here.
I'll be doing part 2 of getting my crown at the dentist. I'm hoping it will be the permanent one and there will be no more appts. my sister thinks different there will be more appts. I hope I'm right.
I'm close to finishing from potter's field by Cornwell (read over 100 pages while I was with my sister for her appt yesterday)
so going to read some of The twelve first then switch and try and finish up cornwell and one other book on the nook that is close to being finished.

message 48: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments My new niece has arrived. Victoria Grace is 8 lbs 10 with dark hair that is all I know so far.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Congrats Donnajo. Best of luck

message 50: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Donnajo wrote: "My new niece has arrived. Victoria Grace is 8 lbs 10 with dark hair that is all I know so far."

congratulation! pretty name!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.