Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Kaitlyn's 50 in 2013

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments This is my first challenge, so I'm excited! Here's where I'm starting:

1. Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
2. Royal Pains: A Rogues' Gallery of Brats, Brutes, and Bad Seeds by Leslie Carroll

message 2: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 3. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
4. Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie

message 3: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 5. A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb

message 4: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 6. Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) You're off to an excellent start this year! :)

message 6: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments Thank you! I'm still reading "Nicholas and Alexandra" (it's close to 700 pages) but reading 2 books at a time isn't as hard as I thought it'd be!

message 7: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 7. Persuasion - Jane Austen

message 8: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 8. Skeletons at the Feast - Chris Bohjalian

message 9: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 9. All Quiet On the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

message 10: by Mackenzie, Group Read Curator (new)

Mackenzie | 295 comments Mod
Kaitlyn wrote: "3. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
4. Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie"

I just read Lolita this year, too. What did you think of it?

message 11: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments I liked it for the most part. A lot of the descriptions of nymphets and Humbert's fantasies got to be too much and I had to put the book down for a little bit. But it was strangely fascinating to see what him made him tick. What did you think?

message 12: by Mackenzie, Group Read Curator (new)

Mackenzie | 295 comments Mod
Kaitlyn wrote: "I liked it for the most part. A lot of the descriptions of nymphets and Humbert's fantasies got to be too much and I had to put the book down for a little bit. But it was strangely fascinating to s..."
I felt very much the same. One of the critics on the book's cover mentioned how funny the book was. All the while I was reading it, I kept thinking, "I must have the wrong kind of humor because I do not see how this one long, drawn out joke, unless it's meant as dark humor." Maybe I am just not European enough to get it.

message 13: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments Yeah, I've read that it's meant to be a satire of postwar American society, but that went over my head.

message 14: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 10. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
11. The Divine Comedy - Dante Alegheri

message 15: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (tangerine-trees) | 12 comments 12. The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux