Kannapolis Paranormal Booksuckers discussion

General > 2013 Paranormal Scavenger Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (chey1) | 652 comments Mod
2013 Paranormal Scavenger Hunt
I have created a list of things that one might find in a paranormal book and I challenge you to find 21 of the items on the list.
Goal-21 items
The Rules

Basic Idea:
Find each of these things in a book that you have read in 2013. You only need to find 21 items. The items do not have to be a major part of the book so if you see a statue of a mermaid it would count as one of your items.
You can be creative and interpret your word in a different manner: For instance, in the case of an alien, you can count a Scottish man who is living in America. If you are unsure of whether or not an item would count, just ask.
All kinds of books count in this except for rereads. If you have read it in the past five years it will not count. Any type of book will count as long as it is over 32 pages. So you can read a biography, a graphic novel, audiobooks, a childrens book..whatever you want to read is fair game.
You can not use the same book for multiple items. If you find a book that has a unicorn and a ghost, you have to decide which item you want use it for.
Post your items as you find them. It is ok to cheat off other people if they post something that you have read.

The main idea for this challenge is to have fun so enjoy :)
Grim Reaper
Cyclops
Love Triangle
Witch
Dragon
Egg
Psychic
North Carolina
Underworld
Dagger
Gun
Wizard
Non-magical animal
Demon
Fae
Mermaid
Succubus
Stalker
Geek
Food
Thief
Family Fued
Royalty
Bear
Hockey
Healing ability
Scientist
Masked individual
The name of a fairy tale character
Bayou
Start Date: January 01, 2013
End Date: December 31, 2013

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Awesome! So excited to look for these; I had a great time with the 2012 list!

message 3: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Found my first one in my first book of 2013:

Masked Individual: Venom (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #1) by Fiona Paul Venom by Fiona Paul

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Bear: Desperately Seeking Shapeshifter by Jessica Sims Desperately Seeking Shapeshifter (Midnight Liaisons, #2) by Jessica Sims
Dragon: Cast in Fury by Michelle Sagara Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra, #4) by Michelle Sagara West
Grim Reaper: Fourth Grave Beneath my Feet by Darynda Jones Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Family Feud: Last Kiss Goodnight by Gena Showalter Last Kiss Goodnight (Otherworld Assassin, #1) by Gena Showalter

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Do I get extra credit if I find a group of people dancing to The Time Warp?

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Other than the giggling that had to have happened, no :)

message 8: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Non-magical animal: The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman. Lots and lots of farm animals.

message 9: by Erik (last edited Jan 13, 2013 06:08AM) (new)

Erik | 97 comments I see I read Ilona Andrews's Edge boks a year too early ... Or did Jessica sneakliy make this list to encourage others to read them?

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Mermaid: Smile by Raina Telgemeier Smile by Raina Telegmeier

message 11: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Demon: A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Like I would force people to read books! heh

message 13: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Scientist: Rabid A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus by Bill Wasik Rabid by Bill Wasik. Lots of scientists including an entire chapter on Louis Pasteur.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Egg: Speechless by Hannah Harrington Speechless by Hannah Harrington

message 15: by Erik (last edited Feb 18, 2013 09:11AM) (new)

Erik | 97 comments Psychic Choosing Names: Man-Kzin Wars 8
Geek The Children's Hour 800-pound, tigerish alien computer technicians derided as "nirdz"
Scientist Man-Kzin Wars 4
Royalty Man-Kzin Wars 6
Love Triangle The High Crusade by Poul Anderson
Non-magical animal The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert A. Heinlein Pixel does it through applied quantum mechanics, not magic
Healing ability Once Burned
Family Feud The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card involving psychics, some of whom have the ability to heal themselves and others
Food Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion, #1/Alliance-Union Universe) by C.J. Cherryh
Egg Free Radicals by Michael Brooks Free Radicals: The Secret Anarchy of Science, egg whites are used in a discussion on denaturing proteins
Gun Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1) by Seanan McGuire it's right there on the cover
Fae Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6) by Seanan McGuire Something like 80 percent of the cast
Wizard Home Improvement Undead Edition by Charlaine Harris About half the list can be found in this really good anthology
Stalker The Young Unicorns (Austin Family, #4) by Madeleine L'Engle Our protagonists are stalked in the streets of NYC by members of the AlphaBats Gang (it's just as dumb as it sounds)
Grim Reaper Ever After (The Hollows, #11) by Kim Harrison Belle, the hyper-lethal, wingless, fairy assassin is described as one
Underworld Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1) by Cherie Priest where the residents of Seattle live to keep from breathing the zombification gas let loose during a botched bank robbery
Bayou Ganymede (The Clockwork Century, #4) by Cherie Priest The story's set in New Orleans, so natch'
Witch Fathom by Cherie Priest

message 16: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Food: Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow

message 17: by Erik (new)

Erik | 97 comments Dumb question: If I've got a short story in three different anthologies, can I use something from it three times?

message 18: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Egg: The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani. They make lots of pasta.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Short story question: If it is the same short story it only counts once

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Witch: A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness Discovery of Witches by Harkness

message 21: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Love Triangle: Prized (Birthmarked, #2) by Caragh M. O'Brien Actually turned into a love square. Even the main character said at one point in the story, "I'd heard of love triangles before, but a love square ?" Made me giggle.

message 22: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Gun: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
Dagger: Promised (Birthmarked, #3) by Caragh M. O'Brien Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien

message 23: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Oh and Dragon: My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira. Dorothea Dix is referred to as "Dragon" Dix multiple times which I found quite entertaining.

message 24: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Wizard: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Food: Drama by Raina Telgemeier Drama by Raina Telgemeier
Non-Magical Animal: Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick
Royalty: A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson

message 26: by Erik (new)

Erik | 97 comments Next dumb question: What qualifies as a fairy tale? Specifically, King Arthur.

message 27: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Geek: Well Met Renaissance Faires and the American Counterculture by Rachel Lee Rubin Well Met: Renaissance Faires and the American Counterculture by Rachel Lee Rubin.

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Bear: Goliath (Leviathan, #3) by Scott Westerfeld Goliath by Scott Westerfeld
Dragon:  The Fire Horse Girl by Kay Honeyman The Fire Horse Girl by Kay Honeyman
Family Feud: Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Gun: Being Henry David by Cal Armistead Being Henry David by Cal Armistead
Scientist: Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

message 29: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Royalty: Anastasia's Secret by Susanne Dunlap Anastasia's Secret by Suzanne Dunlap
Family Feud: The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

message 30: by Jessica (new)

we will count King Arthur

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4) by Faith Hunter North Carolina
Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) by Faith Hunter love triangle
Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) by Faith Hunter eggs
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter witch

message 32: by Jessica (new)

The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) by L.J. Smith stalker
Steel Beauty (Halle Pumas, #4) by Dana Marie Bell nonmagical animal
Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3) by Jennifer Estep Masked individual

message 33: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Witch: The Book of Eleanor A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Pamela Kaufman The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Bear: Scent of Magic (Healer, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder:

message 35: by Erik (new)

Erik | 97 comments Yay! The name of a fairy tale character: 1815 The Waterloo Campaign Wellington, His German Allies and the Battles of Ligny and Quatre Bras by Peter Hofschroer Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

message 36: by Erik (new)

Erik | 97 comments Demon: Job A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein

message 37: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Bayou: Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys.

message 38: by Jessica (last edited Apr 01, 2013 10:15AM) (new)

Jessica Washington (jessicawashington) | 11 comments Love Triangle: Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris, #1) by Jim C. Hines

message 39: by Erik (new)

Erik | 97 comments North Carolina Confederate Goliath The Battle of Fort Fisher by Rod Gragg

message 40: by Jessica (last edited Apr 01, 2013 10:20AM) (new)

Jessica Washington (jessicawashington) | 11 comments Egg: Angelopolis by Danielle Trussoni

Fae: The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

Thief: The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray

message 41: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) The Name of a Fairy Tale Character: Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Thief: Bomb The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
Masked Individual: Double Crossed A Spies and Thieves Story (Gallagher Girls, #5.5; Heist Society, #2.5) by Ally Carter
Wizard: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
Name of fairy tale character: Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer
Fae: Strands of Bronze and Gold (Strands of Bronze and Gold, #1) by Jane Nickerson
Geek: Wonder by R.J. Palacio

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Washington (jessicawashington) | 11 comments Dragon: The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2) by Julie Kagawa

message 44: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Question: Can a character with one eye count for a cyclops?

message 45: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) North Carolina: Heads in Beds A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality by Jacob Tomsky Heads in Beds by Jacob Tomsky

Underworld: The Time Machine by H.G. Wells The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

Thief: The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman The Walking Dead Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman

Bear: Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) by Manda Scott Dreaming the Eagle by Manda Scott

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Washington (jessicawashington) | 11 comments Non magical animal: Grass by Sheri S. Tepper

message 47: by Erik (last edited May 02, 2013 09:26AM) (new)

Erik | 97 comments Thief A burglar discovers things associated with the Great Old Ones are better left unburglared New Cthulhu The Recent Weird by Paula Guran

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments Psychic: Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman

message 49: by Erik (new)

Erik | 97 comments Succubus Rides a Dread Legion (The Demonwar Saga, #1) by Raymond E. Feist

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 54 comments North Carolina: Janie Face to Face (Janie Johnson, #5) by Caroline B. Cooney
Stalker: The Night She Disappeared by April Henry
Underworld: Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3) by Jennifer Estep
Healing Ability: Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4) by Jennifer Estep
Dagger: Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1) by Alethea Kontis

« previous 1