DC Public Library discussion

General > New Years (book) Resolutions 2013

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Do any your New Years Resolutions have to do with reading? Been meaning to tackle more classics, to read the Bible from cover to cover, or to become familiar with a certain genre? Or do you want to read 100 books this year? Or read every day? Read with your child or your partner? Only buy from indie bookstores or discover self-published authors?

This year I plan to read Infinite Jest from cover to cover. I've been meaning to do so for years, and I just received a crisp paperback copy from my father-in-law, so now I have no excuse. For some reason that book is my white whale.

Post any book or reading-related resolutions here, and check back in over the year with your progress. Maybe we can even help keep each other on track!

Erin (greenumbrellareads) (erinfrederic) One of my New Year reading resolutions is to rotate reading fiction and non-fiction books. I read mostly novels, but want to expand into other genres, including psychology and biographies.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cransell) | 12 comments My goal for 2013 is to read the books that we actually have in our house that I always *mean* to get to some day. I think I'm going to make a big stack and if I don't read them this year, then I'll give them away .

message 4: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments My quasi-pledge to myself (and my wife), is, like Carrie, to try and balance the flood of new books and ARCs that come my way, with the unread books that have lingered on my shelf for many, many years. One way I will choose books is to look at my shelves that have books piled horizontally on top of the alphabetically-ordered books, and pull one to read to make room. I may not get through a ton that way, but at least the shelves will hopefully look a lot more orderly!

And dovetailing nicely with Maria's resolution, one of those long-lingering unread books is Infinite Jest, so maybe I'll tackle that as well!

message 5: by Megan (last edited Jan 03, 2013 11:59AM) (new)

Megan (meganelise1) | 6 comments Mine is to clean out some of the books I've been hoarding, as well as to read some classics I've somehow missed. First up is The Lord of the Rings byJ.R.R. Tolkien

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kisigler) | 101 comments Every year I resolve to spend more time reading books and less time reading the internet, to varying degrees of success. I'm hoping this is one of my more successful years!

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke H | 1 comments This year, I'm resolving to read more children's chapter books. I feel that since becoming an "adult", this section has become neglected by me (with exception to the Harry Potter series, of course). As some one who works closely with children I'm hoping to be able to offer better readers advisory through this resolution.

So far, I've read One Crazy Summer, The Giver, Winnie-the-Pooh, and started on the sequel to Wildwood (Under Wildwood).

Also, I know it's been said but I'll say it again: The Giver is way better than The Hunger Games.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Brooke,
Have you tried Philip Pullman's books? The Sally Lockhart series is great but is often overlooked for the Dark Materials series, which is also really good but maybe for slightly older kids/bordering on YA.

Everyone else,
January is going to be over in a week! The February discussion is coming soon, but first, has anyone made any progress on their resolutions? I haven't cracked Infinite Jest yet, but I am reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, which might count as easing into David Foster Wallace.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 24 comments Maria wrote: "Brooke,
Have you tried Philip Pullman's books? The Sally Lockhart series is great but is often overlooked for the Dark Materials series, which is also really good but maybe for slightly older kid..."

Maria, I actually think of the Sally Lockhart books as YA also, even though I read them when when I was 11 or 12, there's marriage, sex, pregnancy and death ;)

Brooke, my resolution is actually similar to yours; I plan to read more middle grade/chapter book fiction this year. I enjoy a good children's book, and I work with that age group more now, but I still feel like I end up reading more YA than children's.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Apparently Sally Lockhart can cover a lot of ground! I just checked and Novelist gives it a min/max grade level of 2-12. I was wondering because I read it in 3rd grade probably, and while I remember the adult matters, it didn't strike me as any more adult than say, Little Women, which also dealt with pregnancy, death, war, marriage, and more. Other sources say 12+, though. I say I want to reread it now because I just watched the Billie Piper version of The Shadow in the North and remembered what a great series it is, especially for young feminists.

In other news, I still haven't cracked Infinite Jest, but... I have a good feeling that it is coming soon ;)

message 11: by Eboni (new)

Eboni | 1 comments Carrie wrote: "My goal for 2013 is to read the books that we actually have in our house that I always *mean* to get to some day. I think I'm going to make a big stack and if I don't read them this year, then I'll..."

Ditto! :)

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lipps | 10 comments My resolution is to read 57 books in 2013. Since I started to keep track in 2003, the most books I've ever read in a year is 56, so I just want to beat my old record!

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Ashley, that sounds like a great goal! How many have you read so far?

message 14: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Rosensweig | 3 comments Too often I start a non-fiction book, get the gist of it, but then never finish it. I resolve to finish some of the books I have piled up on the "to be finished" pile.

message 15: by Maryann (new)

Maryann J-D (missmvjd) | 2 comments Mod
I know I'm a little late on this, but my resolutions are:
1. mix my usual diet of nonfiction books with more novels.
2. finish(!) nearly all the books i start. (i have the same problem as Jeffrey.)
3. read at least 50 books this year.

i got off to a good start with #1 and #3; The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History nearly killed me on keeping resolution #2.

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra Battle (battlegirldeb) | 1 comments I plan to read all the books on my to read list. I also trying to read more non-fiction this year.

message 17: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Way to go, Debra! I put everything intriguing that crosses my path on my to-read list, so I'd have to be in some sort of 24-hour-a-day bedrest situation to even tackle a fraction of it.

In other news, I started Infinite Jest and made it all the way to page 16 ;)
Although I did almost give up on page 5 or so because one of the novel's first scenes is just nasty and was impossible to read without gagging.

message 18: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 5 comments I plan to whittle down my "to-read" section on GoodReads. I keep adding books before working on existing list. My list is becoming as long as my queue in Netflix!

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lipps | 10 comments Maria wrote: "Ashley, that sounds like a great goal! How many have you read so far?"

Well, it's early March, and I've read 10. So I guess I was pretty accurate in my guess of how many books I could read, about 4 a month.

I've been trying to read a few classics that I've gotten around to, and I've been surprised by what I've read in a few days and what's really slowed my progress. I really lagged on "A Confederacy of Dunces" and whizzed right through "Wuthering Heights." I would have guessed it'd be the other way around. I've also just been trying to read more fiction in general since I typically gravitate towards non-fiction.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bober (elizabethbober) | 4 comments My resolution this year is to make up for some of the holes in my reading history.

I consider myself pretty well-read, but there are some classics that never made it onto my bookshelf and it's embarrassing. So I'm ready to correct that. In January I read Frankenstein for the first time. In February I read Rebecca. This month I'll tackle Catcher in the Rye. After that, maybe something by Dickens.

Recommendations welcome!

message 21: by My (new)

My Nguyen | 11 comments Maria, I think even a desire to read Infinite Jest is a noble endeavor; I myself cower at the thought. I have a love/hate relationship with footnotes. On one hand, I think they serve as lovely, poignant asides. At their best, a Greek chorus of sorts comes alive from the words. At worst, footnotes lend a clumsily academic flavor that is more irritating than amusing -- or even helpful! The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, for instance, just beat me down with all these breathless asides in Times New Roman 10 pt. font. After 140 pages, I just couldn't take it anymore.

But I digress.

My new year's resolution is to read more William Faulkner. He's so hard! I'm currently (and slowly) going through Light in August, which I've been trying to read for the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure I've read the first three pages at least 7 times. If anyone has any helpful tips on how to warm up to Faulkner, let me know. As a sort of balm to my bruised ego, I sort of take comfort in Nabokov's delightfully snotty indictment of Faulkner, uttered during his interview in the Paris Review:

"Many accepted authors simply do not exist for me. Their names are engraved on empty graves, their books are dummies, they are complete nonentities insofar as my taste in reading is concerned. Brecht, Faulkner, Camus, many others, mean absolutely nothing to me, and I must fight a suspicion of conspiracy against my brain when I see blandly accepted as “great literature” by critics and fellow authors Lady Chatterley's copulations or the pretentious nonsense of Mr. Pound, that total fake. I note he has replaced Dr. Schweitzer in some homes."

Elizabeth, I'm reading Rebecca right now too! How did you like it? The Hitchcock iteration is so, so magnificent.

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bober (elizabethbober) | 4 comments My, I did really enjoy it. From the initial concern for the main character's quickness to put her needs second to the Downton Abby-esque upstairs/downstairs tensions. Very fun. There absolutely came a point when I coudln't put it down though I anticipated it being suspenseful in a more otherworldly way. I look forward to the movie!

message 23: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
I second loving Rebecca, the book and the PBS version (will have to watch the Hitchcock movie). It is one of those ultimate girl books like Pride and Prejudice that you just have to love!

Elizabeth, have you read Great Expectations? If not it is probably the best place to start, and I'm not only saying that because it is the only Dickens that I've read ;)

My, thanks! I'm glad I gave myself a whole year to read Infinite Jest. A few chapters a week seems to be all I can handle...
Have you read the easier Faulkner yet? Such as "A Rose for Emily"/As I Lay Dying/The Unvanquished. I haven't tried any of the more-complicated Faulkner myself, though I should since I claim that my favorite genre is Southern Gothic.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bober (elizabethbober) | 4 comments I am a Faulkner free zone! I'd like to correct that but I've also heard Flannery O'Connor is a better place to start for Southern Gothic.

message 25: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
Yikes - it is already December! How have everyone's 2013 reading resolutions gone? I only made it about 60 pages into Infinite Jest, but I really do plan on reading it one day!

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael Price (mpricejr) | 10 comments My goal this year was to read 50 books and I only got through 38. I may be a slow reader but I really enjoyed those 38 books. My absolute favorite was Fledgling and EVERYONE should read it too! I NEVER EVER would have read this book on my own but it was a DCPL book club selection. If not for DCPL and its wonderful book club choices I would have totally missed out on an amazing novel. Thank you DC Public Library.

message 27: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 6 comments Michael wrote: "My goal this year was to read 50 books and I only got through 38. I may be a slow reader but I really enjoyed those 38 books. My absolute favorite was Fledgling and EVERYONE should rea..."

By Octavia Butler; I am ordering it right now! (One of my favorite authors.)

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganelise1) | 6 comments Totally didn't even start Lord of the Rings....

message 29: by Maryann (new)

Maryann J-D (missmvjd) | 2 comments Mod
i almost made my goal of reading 50 books -- but didn't get there. 47! dangit!

i finished all but 1 of the books i started (1Q84 by Haruki Murakami).

and i totally read more fiction this year ... the nonfiction books i read actually tripped me up on meeting my 50-book goal.

fwiw, i think my favorite book this year was the art of hearing heatbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (irishcontessa) | 9 comments I had a goal of 150 this year which I managed to do last year but it looks like I'm only going to hit 145 this year :)

In 2014, my goal might not be a number of books but to read books in new genres instead.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 6 comments I met my goal of 100 (actually made it through 104). Next year I'm only shooting for 40 because there are quite a few chunksters I want to read that I put off in 2013.

message 32: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 5 comments I made my reading goal of 52 books and I started my goal in March. I think I will try for 75 books this year.

message 33: by Rasika (new)

Rasika | 1 comments I'm trying for more nonfiction! Even if it means I read less books overall.

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments This year, I'd love to stay more on top of the Graphic Novel sphere. It seems like there's always something good coming out, so it's tough!