A History of Royals discussion

Royalty Challenges for 2013 > Reading through the eras

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (last edited Jan 03, 2013 09:46PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
This one is a little more advanced. For this challenge, please read a Royalty related book for century/time period listed below:
Ancient Periods :

1. 3500 BC - 550 BC

2. 551 BC - AD 1100

3. AD 1100 - AD 1450

4. AD 1450 - AD 1610

5. AD 1610 - AD 1765

6. AD 1765 - AD 1918

7. AD 1918 to present

This challenge requires a total of 7 books.

BONUS: If you want to be an expert, read two books for each time period for a total of 14 books.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 71 comments I think this is the one that I will try. I am assuming that the books can be fiction or non-fiction?

message 3: by Kit (new)

Kit Wow! I may have to attempt this one too. It has such an allure; especially the ancient eras!

message 4: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 25 comments Sounds like a good one to me! Count me in on this one.

message 5: by ~Brandy~ (new)

~Brandy~ Ooh, this one is righ up my alley! I think this is the one I will do this year!

message 6: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Definitely doing this one! It will help me clear off my to-read shelf considerably and read all those royal biographies I bought from my library's book sale table. I'm going to start off with just the seven but might do the whole 14 if I'm feeling particularly adventurous!

Here's what I'm planning on reading (of course this is subject to change):

1. 3500 BC - 550 BC:Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

2. 551 BC - AD 1100:Dreaming the Eagle by Manda Scott

3. AD 1100 - AD 1450: The Book of Eleanor: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Pamela Kaufman

4. AD 1450 - AD 1610: The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner

5. AD 1610 - AD 1765: Royal Charles: Charles II and the Restoration by Antonia Fraser

6. AD 1765 - AD 1918: Prince Albert by Robert Rhodes James

7. AD 1918 to present: Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch by Sally Bedell Smith

message 7: by Laura (last edited Jan 01, 2013 05:28PM) (new)

Laura | 18 comments I think this is the one I'm going to do as well. just need to go through my books and see what will work.

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 57 comments Christie, thanks for the list of your choices. I'm thinking of this one also but was having trouble with the first few years...lol. Definately, your list gives me something to think about.

message 9: by April (new)

April | 42 comments I'm joining this one. I'll post my list later. Just looking at my real bookshelves and I think I have all seven.

message 10: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 1 comments I think that I will do this one also. Time to hit the library!!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Hathorn | 2 comments Sounds like a good one. I'm in.

message 12: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Rebecca wrote: "I think this is the one that I will try. I am assuming that the books can be fiction or non-fiction?"

Yep Rebecca. Fiction or non-fictionn work, as long as the book is Royalty related.

message 13: by Kit (last edited Sep 29, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

Kit Ancient Periods :

1. 3500 BC - 550 BC - The Heretic Queen :D Done-1/20/13

2. 551 BC - AD 1100- Mistress of Rome :D done 5/17/13.

3. AD 1100 - AD 1450 - Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine :D Done 9/29/13.

4. AD 1450 - AD 160 - The Kingmaker's Daughter:D5/19/13 & Blood Sisters: The Women Who Won the War of the Roses :D done 5/18/13.

5. AD 1610 - AD 1765-.The Countess and the King: A Novel of the Countess of Dorchester and King James II. Done D 7/26/13.

6. AD 1765 - AD 1918 - Alexandra: The Last Tsarina. Done :D 5/29/13.

7. AD 1918 to present - The Royal House of Monaco: Dynasty of Glamour, Tragedy and Scandal :D Done-5/23/13.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 18 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for the Ancient Period (3500bc-550 BC) and 1918 to the present. I like to read historical fiction and don't have much that I haven't already read.

Thanks.

message 15: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jan 02, 2013 10:22AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments Have you readHomer's Daughter, by Robert Graves, by Robert Graves, or The King Must Die and its sequel, The Bull from the Sea, by Mary Renault?

For the modern - what about The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, by Alan Bradley, one of the Maisie Dobbs books, or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?

If "alternate history" historical fiction is OK, Farthing, by Jo Walton is pretty good.

ETA: If you've read all those, go the non-fiction route?

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 57 comments I just bought the greatest book today. "5000 Years of Royalty: Kings, Queens, Princes, Emperors and Tsars"
It gives a 1-2 page right-up on hundreds of royalties, starting at Gilgamesh, King of Uruk (c.2700BC) and ending with Diana, Princess of Wales. It should be a great help in picking out my characters. :)

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 18 comments Susanna wrote: "Have you readHomer's Daughter, by Robert Graves, by Robert Graves, or The King Must Die and its sequel, The Bull from the Sea, by Mary Renault?

For the modern - what about The Sweetness at the Bot..."

Are those royalty related? I have the Alan Bradley books but haven't read them yet. I thought they were mysteries.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments Whoops, forgot the royalty bit.

Actually, both Homer's Daughter and the Mary Renaults would qualify, as the narrator of the first is the local ruler's daughter, and Theseus, son of the ruler of Athens (and then ruler of Athens himself) is the narrator of The King Must Die/Bull from the Sea.

message 19: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 5 comments Laura wrote: "Does anyone have any suggestions for the Ancient Period (3500bc-550 BC) and 1918 to the present. I like to read historical fiction and don't have much that I haven't already read.

Thanks."

Have you read The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. trilogy? Would be great for the early period.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 19 comments I like the idea of this challenge. I already have some ideas for the different eras.

As for suggestions for the Ancient period, I have very much enjoyed Joyce Tyldesley's books about Ancient Egypt. They are non-fiction but very readable.

message 21: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 25 comments Looking at my TBR bookshelves, I think I have all but one of the eras covered. The one I'll have trouble finding is the 1918 - present......I tend to read a LOT of medieval and some earlier than that.

So, do alternate reality or "mash-up" books count? I have Queen Victoria Demon Hunter by A.E. Moorat and am wondering if I could use that.

message 22: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Shirley wrote: "I just bought the greatest book today. "5000 Years of Royalty: Kings, Queens, Princes, Emperors and Tsars"
It gives a 1-2 page right-up on hundreds of royalties, starting at Gilgamesh, King of Uruk..."

That sounds like a great reference, Shirley.

message 23: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:09PM) (new)

Gayle wrote: "Looking at my TBR bookshelves, I think I have all but one of the eras covered. The one I'll have trouble finding is the 1918 - present......I tend to read a LOT of medieval and some earlier than t..."

We have actually tried to keep more to actual historical fiction or non fiction about Royalty, and stay away from the alternate history books or the fantasy books. Sorry.

message 24: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I apologize to everyone. I just realized that I had left a crucial peace of information out of the description of this challenge. As with everything else in this group, all books must be about Royalty in order to qualify for this challenge. I have updated the challenge description. Again, sorry for the omission.

message 25: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 9 comments Having first seen this challenge I felt daunted by it but having looked through my tbr list and compared dynasties with the timeframes this is definitely the challenge for me. You never know I might even get to doing it twice! Here are my initial thoughts and the dynasties with the time frames. I mainly know English history so would welcome people adding additional dynasties to the time frames to help people in picking books. Help with identifying dynasties and books for the earlier time frames would be much appreciated!

1. 3500 BC - 550 BC (Greek, roman) - Neferiti

2. 551 BC - AD 1100

3. AD 1100 - AD 1450 (angevine, Lancaster and York) - falls the shadow, skp, lady of the English, elizb. Chadwick

4. AD 1450 - AD 1610 (Lancaster & York, valois, Hapsburgs, Tudor) - sister queens

5. AD 1610 - AD 1765 (Stuart,bourbon, Hanover, romanov) the kings mistress, Gillian bagwell

6. AD 1765 - AD 1918 (romanov, Hanover, saxe coberg gotha) - Caroline and charlotte, plowden, Catherine the great, maissey

7. AD 1918 to present (Windsor) - that woman, Anne seba (my one hangover from last years challenge!)

I'll put proper links in to the books later.

message 26: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Awesome challenge, Lyn!! I may try to take part in this one this year :)

message 27: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 25 comments Gayle wrote: "Looking at my TBR bookshelves, I think I have all but one of the eras covered. The one I'll have trouble finding is the 1918 - present......I tend to read a LOT of medieval and some earlier than t..."

We have actually tried to keep more to actual historical fiction or non fiction about Royalty, and stay away from the alternate history books or the fantasy books. Sorry.

No apologies necessary. That's why I asked!

message 28: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Gayle wrote: "Gayle wrote: "Looking at my TBR bookshelves, I think I have all but one of the eras covered. The one I'll have trouble finding is the 1918 - present......I tend to read a LOT of medieval and some e..."

And I['m glad that you did!

message 29: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Awesome challenge, Lyn!! I may try to take part in this one this year :)"

This one would be cool, huh Jen. If I do one, it will probably be this one, too.

message 30: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 6 comments Shirley wrote: "I just bought the greatest book today. "5000 Years of Royalty: Kings, Queens, Princes, Emperors and Tsars"
It gives a 1-2 page right-up on hundreds of royalties, starting at Gilgamesh, King of Uruk..."

who is the author? can you post a link to this book? it looks interesting! thanks

message 31: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 24 comments Lyn M wrote: "I apologize to everyone. I just realized that I had left a crucial peace of information out of the description of this challenge. As with everything else in this group, all books must be about Roy..."

ah -- that makes sense! Still a great challenge though! Back to my TBR shelf!!

message 32: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Cindie wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "I apologize to everyone. I just realized that I had left a crucial peace of information out of the description of this challenge. As with everything else in this group, all books mus..."

I'm sure you have plenty of books that fit the bill, Cindie!

message 33: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 57 comments Debbie, I will try to post a link as soon as I figure out how. lol :)

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 12 comments I like this idea. So far:

Period A.D. 1450-1610 Her Highness, the Traitor

Linda B.

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 6 comments Shirley wrote: "Debbie, I will try to post a link as soon as I figure out how. lol :)"

use the "add book/author" above the reply box

message 36: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Debbie wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Debbie, I will try to post a link as soon as I figure out how. lol :)"

use the "add book/author" above the reply box"

Here is the link to Shirley's book: 5,000 Years of Royalty: Kings, Queens, Princes, Emperors & Tsars by Thomas J. Craughwell.

I had a hard time finding it and had to search by ISBN number to get it to come up.

message 37: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 57 comments Lyn M wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Debbie, I will try to post a link as soon as I figure out how. lol :)"

Here is the link to Shirley's book: 5,000 Year..."

Debbie and Lyn, thank you so much. Not hard to tell I have difficulty finding my way around the computer. lol.

Lyn, I had a hard time with it also. My next step was to look up the ISBN number.
Thanks for posting the link.

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 6 comments Lyn M wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Debbie, I will try to post a link as soon as I figure out how. lol :)"

Here is the link to Shirley's book: 5,000 Year..."

thanks! wish it came in kindle form

message 39: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Shirley wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Debbie, I will try to post a link as soon as I figure out how. lol :)"

Here is the link to Shirley's bo..."

Most of them can be found by typing in the title, but this one does not come up that way for some reason????

message 40: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 61 comments I'm in. This looks like a great challenge to get me reading outside my usual history comfort zones.

message 41: by April (last edited Jan 16, 2013 10:17PM) (new)

April | 42 comments Lady Robyn is the consort to Edward who becomes third in line for the crown a third into the book after the signing of Act of Accord in 1460. I am asking because Robyn is placed in the War of the Roses by witchcraft from the twentieth century. But I checked wiki and the history is spot on. Robyn does not alter history, just becomes part of it.

message 42: by Linda (last edited May 07, 2013 02:23PM) (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 12 comments The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great
Fits the time period 1610-175-65
Novel about the reign of Elizabeth the Great of Russia (Romanov dynasty)
Fits the time period 1450-1610--Four Sisters, All Queens

message 43: by Linda (last edited May 19, 2013 12:17PM) (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 12 comments 1. 3500 BC - 550 BC

2. 551 BC - AD 1100

3. AD 1100 - AD 1450 The Kingmaker's Daughter

4. AD 1450 - AD 1610 Four Sisters, All Queens

5. AD 1610 - AD 1765 The Winter Palace; The Royal Harlot

6. AD 1765 - AD 1918 The Second Empress

7. AD 1918 to presentElizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch

message 44: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 71 comments Two eras fulfilled:

3500 BC - 550 BC
http://www.epinions.com/review/Joan_W... -- A Relunctant Queen by Joan Wolf (fiction)

AD 1918 to present
http://www.epinions.com/review/Peter_... -- The Great Survivors by Peter Conradi (nonfiction)

message 45: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Two eras fulfilled:

3500 BC - 550 BC
http://www.epinions.com/review/Joan_W... -- A Relunctant Queen by Joan Wolf (fiction..."

Good Job Rebecca. I love the links. That way I can check out your reviews and see what you thought of the books.

message 46: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 24 comments 1 down:

1450-1610 AD The Twentieth Wife

message 47: by Gayle (last edited Jan 22, 2013 12:16PM) (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 25 comments 1. 3500 BC - 550 BC

2. 549 BC - AD 1100

3. AD 1100 - AD 1450

4. AD 1450 - AD 1610
Poison (The Poisoner Mysteries, #1) by Sara Poole year 1492

5. AD 1610 - AD 1764

6. AD 1765 - AD 1918

7. AD 1918 to present

message 48: by April (new)

April | 42 comments Lyn, could you answer my question in message 42 please?

message 49: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

April wrote: "Lyn, could you answer my question in message 42 please?"

Sorry, April, I didn't realize you were asking a question. ;P Anyway - if the history is spot on and the character isn't changing history, then I would say it is acceptable. The main thing is...Do yo see the book as mainly a historical fiction book, or mainly an alternate history book. It sounds like the former to me, and therefore it would be okay.

message 50: by April (new)

April | 42 comments HF for sure for Lady Robyn.

Thanks!

« previous 1 3 4