The Challenge Factory discussion

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about A Study in Scarlet
2013 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Hester, Melissa, Ashley & Marla: A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (new)

Shellbelle  | 434 comments Mod
Hester, Melissa, Ashley & Marla: A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments Posting so I'm subscribed. :)
I'll be starting either tonight or tomorrow.

Marla | 789 comments Drat...I was at the library today and I forgot to get the book! But I will get it tomorrow!

Do we want to read so many chapters a day or a week, or another schedule or just wing it...I don't have the book yet, so I can't even suggest a plan.

If we have a schedule, we won't have to worry about spoilers if we are up to date.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments I don't have the book yet either. I think schedule would be good. Has anyone heard from Ashley? I did email her last week.

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments I'd love a schedule because then I can fit it around all my other books this month!

There are 14 chapters, and we have roughly 4 weeks, so that would make 4 chapters a week, roughly...

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments That sounds good to me. Should we do read by thursday? That would still give us exactly 4 weeks. So we could check in next thursday with maybe the first 5 chapters? What do you think?

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments Sounds good to me. :)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 353 comments I like it.

Sorry I've been MIA, I forgot check the thread.

Marla | 789 comments Sounds great! And I am picking up my book today!

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments I've read the first five chapters. :) And I'm really enjoying it so far. I love the whole concept of Sherlock Holmes, but before this I've only seen the new movies and the BBC series. I used to be scared of it from watching the old programmes when I was little!

Anyone else read the chapters yet? :)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 353 comments Just finished. Its nice to actually READ Holmes instead of seeing some one else's version (if that makes sense)

I like him and Watson and am anxious to see where the story leads. The part about the woman in the cab was pretty humorous.

message 12: by Marla (last edited Jan 13, 2013 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marla | 789 comments Sorry, I got caught up reading Divergent by Veronica Roth.

I really liked the prologue in my version. I was surprised at how well the Robert Downey Jr movie got it...with the boxing and drugs and mood swings and minute observations and bluntness.

I have always been vaguely curious about how Holmes and Watson got together, so it was great to hear about how they met and by chance became flat mates.

So far I'm really enjoying it, but beware, I've seen many reviews that say the first half is far superior to the second half.

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments Ashley wrote: "Just finished. Its nice to actually READ Holmes instead of seeing some one else's version (if that makes sense)

I like him and Watson and am anxious to see where the story leads. The part about th..."

This makes loads of sense. I like the movies with Robert Downey Jnr. and I absolutely adore the BBc version with Benedict Cumberbatch, but reading the original gives a whole different perspective on the character.

Part two is interesting, but I'm not finding it as gripping as part one.

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments I finished the book yesterday. How are you guys doing?

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 353 comments Taking a little bit longer than I would like. It doesn't read as fast as some of the stuff I'm used to

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments I'm a pretty quick reader, I try and get through a book a day but I'm slightly slower (5 or 6 a week at the moment) because of my exams.

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 353 comments I can usually do 3/4 a week. But I read a lot of mystery or suspense or romance that moves at a faster pace, and therefore makes me read at a faster pace.

I just finished the book. I do think that the Utah part was a little out in left field, but necessary to feel for the murderers plight. It kind of made me forgive him, even though I shouldn't have.

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments Yeah, I definitely sympathised with the murderer, not the murdered. I quite liked that though, because at the start I wasn't expecting to.

Marla | 789 comments Finished. I too was rooting for Jefferson Hope. I was glad that he was successful and died a peaceful death.

What did you think about the evil Mormons? Not the villains I was expecting. I liked how the Utah part tied to the motive, but it was sloooow, though I am a sucker for a love story.

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments At first I felt as if I'd somehow fallen into a different book entirely! But I got into it. There were some slow parts, though, and I missed Holmes and Watson. I liked how it all tied together, though, and how I could never have predicted it.

They were slimy! I could tell there was something dodgy gonna happen to with them. And the thought of the numbers appearing in the house.. How many days were left.. That was quite a creepy concept.

Marla | 789 comments Hester wrote: "At first I felt as if I'd somehow fallen into a different book entirely! But I got into it. There were some slow parts, though, and I missed Holmes and Watson. I liked how it all tied together, tho..."

Yes, I love suspense/thrillers and I thought the countdown was eerie. Especially, since Ferrier never saw anyone. The one pinned on his blanket is the one that freaked me out.