Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Twelve: Part V: The Oil Road.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments The Twelve by Justin Cronin. This is the second in the trilogy begun in The Passage.

Since spoilers are allowed please only post contents related to the part referenced in the title. The first person posting might want to do a brief summary of what happens in the section, so we can be reminded of when to start (and stop) posting, contents-wise.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments It was good to return to the characters we knew from The Passage and by doing so the book seems fresh again. I guess I am not a big fan of a parallel story line retold in a second book. We learned a lot from that plot device, but at the cost of having the story just not seem to flow freely.
Chapter 29 Michael and Lore
Chapter 30 Peter visits Greer in prison
Chapter 31 Peter arrives in TX, sees Michael
Chapter 32 Alicia checking on the Garrison
Chapter 33 Peter and Michael set out on the (oil) road
Chapter 34 Amy releases Greer
Chapter 35 From the thoughts of Martinez

The Oil Road is a good descriptive sub title. Having learned more about Amy in The Cave Part IV, we know to expect something new / big / bad to happen that will seismically shift status quo and shake-up the normalcy of the lives of humans who have adapted to survive.
I always liked Micheal, Lore seems like a fitting partner for him. I am enjoying hearing about the work in the refinery area and what they are doing to transport gasoline.

Greer in prison is a bit mysterious when Peter comes to visit and then Peter doesn't ask him what he meant to, instead they talk about God and higher powers and a bigger purpose. Greer is said to have not left his cell for years to exercise or for anything. Greer says "Everything that's happened, it feels like more than chance." Peter with Caleb was a sweet visit and adventure at the dam.

Michael and Peter meeting up again was good too.. their trip out on the oil road said to be one of the most boring things they could do was a set up from the start for something big to happen. And it sure does. More evidence like in the part III The Field of others driving vehicles and now shooting rocket launchers. I am eager to see where this takes them off road, but now we have to wait. grr, The organized attack and mysterious woman who waited until they arrived to blow the bridge was a surprise. "They know where they are and it is only a matter of time" Based on some of the things Martinez said in the last chapter, they are starving because there are no more humans left to feed on, perhaps they need the settlements for food? Kill the gasoline road connection and cut them off - they are seriously organized if that is the case.

Alicia's trip to discover what happened at the Garrison when the resupply team didn't return was creepy feeling when you realize everyone was dead. I wonder what the President's orders are for her. Interesting that she seems to have recovered some of her ability to see in the daylight since before she had to wear very dark sunglasses and Peter had mentioned her strange orange eyes. Is the field of Bones where the many went away after Babcock?

The Martinez chapter raises more questions, Who is the new twelve 'person' that is a woman, Lila? Was it Lila that came to take the children in the field? Does Martinez feel the same as the others? he alludes to Carter being different while when Amy released Greer she reminded him that "Carter is one of us" This should be interesting. I am trying to remember what I can about Carter.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann, I was feeling at a loss because I didn't remember many of the original crew, certainly didn't remember Michael.

Thanks for the summary, that is very helpful. I alluded last Part to Peter's reputation, which is revealed when he goes to visit Caleb and people treat him like a big deal.

So in rereading this part I land on the words at the end where Zero says that he has created another to watch and keep them in their place of rest (the twelve). Is this the cloaked woman who led the attack on the convoy?

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Carol: You might remember which Michael this is -- the Michael who was the technology wizard who had read all of the books he could find about the Pre-viral days and who kept the electricity for the lights protecting them at night on in the walled complex back in California in The Passage.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, I was feeling at a loss because I didn't remember many of the original crew, certainly didn't remember Michael.
I land on the words at the end where Zero says that he has created another to watch and keep them in their place of rest (the twelve). Is this the cloaked woman who led the attack on the convoy? "

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: You might remember which Michael this is -- the Michael who was the technology wizard who had read all of the books he could find about the Pre-viral days and who kept the electricity for th..."

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. I was thinking he was Hightop, who was killed in The Passage and was mentioned early in The Twelve. That shows you how confused I am about the characters!

message 6: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments There is too many years between books. Let us hope that there isn't as much time between The passage and the next book.

message 7: by Ann (last edited Feb 24, 2013 09:23AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Carol: I hear you on the confusion of characters. I was thinking this morning, and I believe Michael was nicknamed "The Circuit". Of course nicknames are great but they add to confusion too. Alisha = Lish. Mouse had another name... The Passage was filled with people who we grew to know and then got comfortable with pet or favorite names and then as DJ mentioned, there was quite a gap between books.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. I was thinking he was Hightop, who was killed in The Passage and was mentioned early in The Twelve. That shows you how confused I am about the characters! "

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Good question, Carol - I admit to not understanding what Zero means by either part: Zero's saying "he has created another" or to "keep them in their place of rest".
Carol/Bonadie wrote: " I land on the words at the end where Zero says that he has created another to watch and keep them in their place of rest (the twelve). Is this the cloaked woman who led the attack on the convoy? "

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments I shivered at the " I have created another, our sister" because when last we saw Alicia, she had removed the liver from the stag and was about to teat it raw. Other than Amy, those who exist between humanity and the dracs are in a tenuous place indeed.

Meanwhile, two separate threads have emerged. In one, we can see that the Twelve (the eleven and a half maybe?) have their own vision for the future, even if it involves the mass death of the Many.
On the other hand, something is up with the mission put forward by the President of Texas. We don;t know what it is yet, but Amy, Peter and Lucious are surely involved. And after all, they are our heroes.

Other tidbits:
*The talk between Peter and Greer foreshadows the ultimate battle for the world.
*Humankind has been "too good". we saw in Haven that there are exceptions, but it was about time that humankind had humans as an enemy. We are just not that into the common good.
"The cloaked woman", still a question we need the answer to.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Barry: I agree, the talk between Greer and Peter was rather deep and portentous of the future, how would Peter find himself when the time comes..
Barry wrote: "Other tidbits: *The talk between Peter and Greer foreshadows the ultimate battle for the world."