Movies We've Just Watched discussion

In Memoriam: Michelangelo Antonioni

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (last edited Jan 05, 2008 07:21AM) (new)

Debra Blasi (debra_di_blasi) In honor of the great Italian filmmaker who died in July, I intend to watch as many of his films as I can find on DVD. The awards-winning Blow Up is based on a story by Julio Cortazar, arguably the most important Argentinian writer of the 20th Century (also deceased).

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments Good choice, Debra. Much of Antonioni's work is sadly unavailable, but don't miss "L'avventura" (available in an excellent Criterion edition) and "The Passenger" (reissued by Sony about a year ago).

message 3: by Arctic (new)

Arctic i second the recommendation of L'avventura. interesting film.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
I love the Passenger!!!! Great, great ending.

Ed

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments I'd be interested in seeing anything anyone has to say about "Blow-up". I used to be fairly obsessed with this movie. In fact, the first time I had a decent VHS copy, I think I watched it for about 7 days in a row. But the last time I saw it I was oddly disappointed. I'd love to hear from other viewers as to if this film is not too much a curio of its time. I also haven't read the original Cortazar story in many, many years so I'd be interested in any comparisons between the two versions.
As for other Antonioni films, I like "Red Desert", don't care much for "L'eclisse". I have a soft spot for "Zabriskie Point", shameless mess that it is, and I'm very fond of "Beyond the Clouds". I also strongly recommend Wim Wenders' book about the making of that film.

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra Blasi (debra_di_blasi) I found quite a lot of Antonioni's films on DVD at bestbuy.com (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.j...)

and more at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?i...

I'll check our library, too; otherwise it'll cost me quite a lot to do my homework.

I'm fond of Wim Wender's films (not all, but most) but have not yet read any of his writing. Thanks, Robert, for the reference. I find that the serious study of films (like Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time) is tremendously useful for writers of literary fiction. There's another discussion group: The Films of Tarkovsky.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments Debra, I'm an enormous fan of Wenders as well and recommend his books highly. They're mostly very short, passionate pieces on the state of film and the people and experiences that have influenced him. He's also published some very nice collections of photography as well.