Victor 1. Read 60 books

2. Finish Harry Potter! I need to read 5,6, and 7

3. Read 10-20 Stephen King books

4. Don't give up on books so easily

5. Be more active and watch what I eat

6. Be more social when not on Goodreads

7. Make 2013 better than 2012!

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments A couple of my major goals are to finish my creative writing class and to start working on a novel.

message 4: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14025 comments Mod
I dont make resolutions really. I strive to be the best person I can be every year and whatever happens happens. Happy new year everyone!

message 5: by Damali (new)

Damali | 42 comments 1. Read 1 classic book a month. I pretty much view classics as books that are classics because they're old, and not because they're actually good books! Maybe I'll change my mind.

2. Stop procrastinating.

3. Be positive.

4. Don't let my day be ruined by something petty.

5. Save $2,000 for this class I need. Don't ask. :(

6. Read 150 books!

message 6: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller To read more
To garden more
...and do what Janie said... hehehehehe

message 7: by kisha (new)

kisha To finish what I start, start a small business, write a novel and complete it, read more books...those are my goals not resolutions

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace  (sweetiepie1000) Put more stuff in fairs
Earn more money for world vision
Read and Read and Read some more

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!

message 9: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Damali wrote: "I pretty much view classics as books that are classics because they're old, and not because they're actually good books!
"

According to that criteria, ALL old books would be classics.

message 10: by Damali (new)

Damali | 42 comments Chuck wrote: "Damali wrote: "I pretty much view classics as books that are classics because they're old, and not because they're actually good books!
"

According to that criteria, ALL old books would be classics."

Yeah..."Old" meaning 100 years or more.

message 11: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Damali wrote: "Yeah..."Old" meaning 100 years or more. "

It would be nice if it could be defined so easily. Relatively speaking, not many hundred-year-old books are classics. Then there are many classics that aren't a hundred-years-old.

message 12: by Victor (new)

Victor Nice, Kyle. I'm sure you'll be able to accomplish thatXD

message 13: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments In 2013, I vow to read 25 books (possibly more, depending on my progress,) and spend more quality time with my family. I'd also LOVE to get back into a daily writing routine, but I earnestly do not see that happening any time soon...

message 14: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I actually need to read less and live a little more, haha.

message 15: by Marnie (new)

Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile) (enchantedbibliophile) I don't usually commit myself to anything other than how may books I need to read in the year!

But my husband decide we must do Die Otter Hiking Trail again. So I had to commit myself to a training program form now till May. :(

That means less reading... :'(

message 16: by Rachel the Book Harlot (last edited Jan 02, 2013 01:31PM) (new)

Rachel the Book Harlot lol Kyle!

@ Marnie: Wow, that sounds (and looks) absolutely amazing. Kudos to both of you.

I think the only resolutions for me this year are to eat healthier and exercise a little more. I would also like to write more reviews even if I do feel that I suck at it. I don't know why but I always feel like a dork whenever I write reviews. Especially since many of my GR Buds (and those I follow) are awesome at it.

message 17: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Read more classics (at least three).

Tackle at least one hefty book. (If I start with the right one, I know I'll get hooked!)

message 18: by Marnie (last edited Jan 03, 2013 08:51AM) (new)

Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile) (enchantedbibliophile) Rachel wrote: "lol Kyle!

@ Marnie: Wow, that sounds (and looks) absolutely amazing. Kudos to both of you.

I think the only resolutions for me this year are to eat healthier and exercise a little more. I would ..."

Rachel, just so you know, I really like your reviews. It gives a very accurate summary of your true feelings about a book and that in my opinion is an excellent review.

message 19: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Rachel I think I could be better at reviews too, maybe a little shorter lol. However, I really enjoy writing them and love to read them as well, as long as they dont give too much away.

message 20: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Rachel I think I could be better at reviews too, maybe a little shorter lol. However, I really enjoy writing them and love to read them as well, as long as they dont give too much away."

Janie- since you expressed interest, I have finished and posted my review of The Talisman.

Rachel the Book Harlot Marnie, thank you so much! That's very kind of you. :)

Janie, I also love reading reviews. It's definitely an addiction.

message 22: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 176 comments I posted this the other day on FB, so I'll share it on here:

Instead of a New Year's resolution, I shall try to make a life resolution. Study scripture more. Grow in faith. Start putting other people before myself more often. Things like that. I'd better go ahead and get started.

message 23: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "I think I'll study sex more. Grow in girth.:D"

LOL! That could be useful.

message 24: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments J.S. wrote: "I posted this the other day on FB, so I'll share it on here:

Instead of a New Year's resolution, I shall try to make a life resolution. Study scripture more. Grow in faith. Start putting other peo..."

Wow, that's a great one, J.S! I really need to study the Scriptures, as well as grow in my faith.

message 25: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Hehe just found this old thread and was wondering how everyone has been going with their resolutions? ;)

message 26: by Daniel (last edited Oct 29, 2013 08:26PM) (new)

Daniel (ilovespiders) I still smoke every now and then :\

edit: cigarettes

message 27: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller I only read more... my gardening has been suffering with this new job. I need a V-8...

message 28: by Squire (last edited Nov 18, 2013 08:06PM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments I resolved to read Don Quixote this year and I did! (2011 was War & Peace and next year is Les Miserables.)

message 29: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Nice work Squire.

message 30: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Thanks, Michelle! I've had that book on my TBR for more than 20 years! I wish I'd read it earlier. (Isn't that always the case, though?)

message 31: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Rachel wrote: "I would also like to write more reviews even if I do feel that I suck at it. I don't know why but I always feel like a dork whenever I write reviews. Especially since many of my GR Buds (and those I follow) are awesome at it. "

LOL Rachel, I feel like that too! I've actually enjoyed your reviews, just so ya know :)

message 32: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Squire wrote: "Thanks, Michelle! I've had that book on my TBR for more than 20 years! I wish I'd read it earlier. (Isn't that always the case, though?)"

I can understand how that could happen though, it is a pretty massive book! It sounds really good, I've added it to my own tbr list and will aim not to put it off for too long :)

message 33: by Victor (new)

Victor I wanted to read Les Mis this year too. Maybe next year:/

message 34: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

HAHA Victor that IS one of my goals for this next year.

message 35: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'll probably read it as well, but... a big goal for me this next year is NOT to read so much. No way will I be reading anywhere near as much, not even half as much and I'll be way more picky about the books I do read. Probably be reading a lot more classics and non-fiction.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It's funny, Chuck, but I've come to the same resolution! I plan to read less and slow down a bit. I'm going to really concentrate on my areas of interest.

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments That's what I did this year. Last year I read 40. It wore me out. I found in focused more on the challenge than the enjoyment of the books. I've been enjoying just enjoying reading.

message 38: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I think somewhere around 75 a year would be a nice adjustment for me. I think I'm right around 150 or so on the year. Terri is probably at 300--she consistently doubles me.

message 39: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I want to read Les Mis next year as well. I was thinking of taking my time with it and dividing it up over 6-12 months so that I can read other things and kind of have that on the back burner so to speak.

message 40: by Victor (new)

Victor It is divided into parts so when I read it I will read part one, some other book, part two, etc. I hope it works for me:)

I'm challenging myself to read one book next year. Haha I like the graphs/charts part of the GR challenge.

message 41: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

VICTOR! That is gonna be a challenge that I open up for the group! LOL It is gonna be called "That One Book" and everyone will choose book to get read for 2014. Les Miserable is gonna be the book I choose, and of course everyone can do it as many of them as they want.

Michelle I plan on being able to use the whole year for the book. So I can enjoy a ton of other books too.

message 42: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Les Miserables will probably work as a great buddy read. I think that would have helped me out a lot.

I hope you guys enjoy the main story, but that book is a classic Classic. Very word and overly descriptive, but the main body of the story is awesome. Good luck :D

message 43: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

LOL Alondra, I wish I believed in luck. I know I will struggle with this book, but I am dying to read it. My daughter Kay and Hub were watching the movie and crying. LOL I could not even stand the movie because of all the music and such. But to read it, that I think will be an amazing experience!

message 44: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Janie wrote: "LOL Alondra, I wish I believed in luck. I know I will struggle with this book, but I am dying to read it. My daughter Kay and Hub were watching the movie and crying. LOL I could not even stand the ..."

I cried after I finished; it was that good, but it was such a huge accomplishment for me. It was on my initial challenge the first year I joined GoodReads. It took me about 5-6 months, I believe, because I kept putting it down... but the characters haunted me, so I had to finish it.

message 45: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Alondra you make me so excited for this challenge! WOOT! I have heard that it is a haunting read. I actually picked the book up from our UBS for like $5. So that was exciting too. And I have actually sat in my library staring at the book. It stared back...

message 46: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Janie wrote: "Alondra you make me so excited for this challenge! WOOT! I have heard that it is a haunting read. I actually picked the book up from our UBS for like $5. So that was exciting too. And I have actual..."

it does, and tries to make you feel guilty for not reading it... bad book! hahahhaa....

Waterloo is the worst section; I suggest cheerleaders in the background to keep up momentum...LOL

message 47: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

HAHA yes Bad book! Thanks for the tip! I will probably ask for more tips along the way!

message 48: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 794 comments Well, my 2013 resolutions were to lose weight/exercise more and get signed up for college. I did not accomplish either of those goals, so they'll be my goals for next year too.

message 49: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Michelle wrote: "Hehe just found this old thread and was wondering how everyone has been going with their resolutions? ;)"

:) Great! How about yourself, Michelle?

message 50: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Victor wrote: "I wanted to read Les Mis this year too. Maybe next year:/"

I'd like to read it this next year, too, Victor.:)

« previous 1