What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fiction (possibly YA), published early 2000s

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary | 5 comments About five years ago I read a book and I remember there were a few different stories interwoven in it, there was a black woman who I think was a maid or a nurse, and she married a rich doctor, and one of them had a son. I can’t remember whose kid it was. There was a woman with an abusive husband, who may or may not have been the same woman that married the doctor. There was also a sortove couple, a white guy and I think the girl was white too and they were both supposedly so attractive and enchanting and seductive that they would destroy everyone they became romantically involved with so they decided to stay together and there was a scene in a cabin and a girl tied a guy to the bed which was weird and unexpected and might have been that same couple I can’t remember but they broke a chair. The book was written in YA fashion and I got it out of the YA section at my school's library but the content was definitely way inappropriate for young adult readers by most standards. It was probably published around 2005, 2006...I know it was fairly new when I read it, still only available in hardcover. I remember seeing that it was a runner up for a few awards but I don't recall those either.

Thanks!

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Hi Mary, were there supernatural/paranormal elements to the story, or was it realistic fiction? Can you remember anything about what the cover looked like?

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 5 comments It was realistic fiction. I can't remember what the cover consisted of but it was dark brown and tan colored all over. I think the title/author were in a yellow or white.

message 4: by Andria (last edited Jan 02, 2013 07:11PM) (new)

Possibly On Beauty by Zadie Smith?

It was shortlisted for the Booker prize in 2005 and won the Orange Prize for fiction in 2006.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 5 comments Hmm, I don't think so. It took place in the South I believe, possibly Louisiana.

message 6: by Andria (last edited Jan 03, 2013 01:26PM) (new)

Hm. I'm going to keep thinking. I feel like I should know this one. Was it set in modern times or was it set in the past, maybe during Civil Rights era if race was an issue? Am I right in assuming that this was a novel of interconnected stories and not a collection of short stories?

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 5 comments There was a lot of implied/"accepted" racism in the book from the characters, so possibly civil rights era? I'm not sure exactly. Probably 70s or 80s. It was interconnected stories. I believe eventually they all came together.

I also have a strong feeling that the title was three words for some reason but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Mary, are you still looking for this book?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On Beauty (other topics)