January 2013: Book of the month discussion

Opinions

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (storybrooke7) | 2 comments Mod
Instead of just having a set day. People who join this group can comment about this book whenever!

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Found this selection at the library today. Looks like an easy, enjoyable read!

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (storybrooke7) | 2 comments Mod
Just finished it! I gave it 5/5 stars!

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is full of sweet southern charm! I loved Beth Hoffman descriptions of Georgia and the essentric cast of characters. This book also reminded me of one of my top 5 favorite books, "The Secret Life of Bees," and even though I didn't like this one as much as Sue Monk Kidd's novel it still was a great read.

For me CeeCee was easy to relate too, along with pretty much everyone in this book. Why? Because people are flawed! Even though her life was much different than mine, I felt a kinship to her, and only a true gifted writer can make someone feel apart of the story even if your name isn't the one written on the page...

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I enjoyed it as well. I put it on my favorites list. I definitely could relate to CeeCee. We all have experienced embarrassment, grief, wanting to fit in..etc. All the characters were fun. I seriously want an Aunt Tootie!

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Finished today. I gave it 3.5-4 stars. Quick, easy, & entertaining. Reminded me of "Secret Life of Bees" in that a young girl is "saved" by a group of southern women. There were some surprising, touching moments and some plot twists that I didn't anticipate - especially the mischief with her camera! I enjoyed this book.

message 6: by Teresa (last edited Jan 18, 2013 11:41AM) (new)

Teresa @ the other Teresa ~ I want an Oletta! I was seriously hungry reading about some of the things she was cooking! :)

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Teresa wrote: "Finished today. I gave it 3.5-4 stars. Quick, easy, & entertaining. Reminded me of "Secret Life of Bees" in that a young girl is "saved" by a group of southern women. There were some surprising..."

haha yes the camera mischief was a hoot and the grub flipping over fence was funny! I just loved how Oletta sent the rest of pics she found after telling CeeCee how wrong that was haha. Wrong but oh so deserving.

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Teresa wrote: "@ the other Teresa ~ I want an Oletta! I was seriously hungry reading about some of the things she was cooking! :)"

Oletta's cooking in the book reminded me of the food we had once driving to the beach at a small out-of-the-way restaurant called the Southern Grill. My (picky eater) son had ordered a BLT and when the owner saw this, he asked my son if he ate vegetables. He replied "yes, if you count sliced tomatoes and french fries." And then he said he would bring my son a little "something, something" on the house to show him how vegetables should be cooked. I saw my son wolf down sweet potatoes, collard greens (!), okra, etc. that day! He's been eating vegetables ever since. Southerners sure know how to cook!

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin Walker buckmaster | 1 comments I just finished reading Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, I found it to be a very beautiful book. I loved all the characters.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Hartshorn | 4 comments great book. It was a short easy read and sometimes that is the best. This last summer my husband finished restoring for me a 49/50 Packard Custom Eight. It is blue and not a convertible(convertibles aren't very appreciated in South east Idaho) but other than that it looks just like Aunt Tootie's. I will share a picture when I figure out how. It was kind of fun reading about my car in the book.

message 11: by Karen (last edited Jan 20, 2013 06:48PM) (new)

Karen Hartshorn | 4 comments (<"http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...)

Well this link will take you to a photo on Facebook anyway

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Sounds like a very cool car! (Could not access the fb picture though.)

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Hartshorn | 4 comments well I will try something else---

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book. The support given to CeeCee was nice. I enjoyed all the characters.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Corley I liked this book although it doesn't seem as much as the rest of you. Maybe some of that had to do with me listening to it on audio. I seemed to get distracted easily while listening. Overall I thought it was a cute story with great in depth characters!

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1 comments I loved this book! It's one of my favorites that I will read over and over in the years to come. The charcters are strong women that support each other and will have you laughing and crying. I highly recommed reading the book.

My favorite quote:

"Aint' no sun in the kitchen without your face lookin' up at me."

Rating: 5 stars

message 17: by Jamise (last edited Feb 01, 2013 10:38AM) (new)

Jamise (spinesvines) What a delightful book, southern hospitality at its best. I have an Aunt Tootie and family in the south so the tone of this book brought back good memories of times spent in the south. As I was reading I could taste the food, smell the peaches and see the big beautiful trees. Although the reader is aware of the time and era; it was refreshing to see how the author told a story of strong women from different races, class and backgrounds without overloading you with the racial injustices of the sixties. I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. Not only did Aunt Tottie, Oletta and Mrs. Odell save CeeCee, she save them as well. I loved how the characters evolved and became an intricate part of one another's "life book".

Rating: 4 stars but changing to 5 stars!!

message 18: by Jamise (new)

Jamise (spinesvines) Favorite quote: "It's how we survive the hurts in life that brings us strength and give us our beauty."

message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Jamise wrote: "Favorite quote: "It's how we survive the hurts in life that brings us strength and give us our beauty.""

I liked this quote, too! Great review. :)

message 20: by Jamise (new)

Jamise (spinesvines) Thanks Teresa :)

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim (greeneyes0727) | 2 comments Jamise wrote: "Favorite quote: "It's how we survive the hurts in life that brings us strength and give us our beauty.""

I like this quote as well!

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (greeneyes0727) | 2 comments Just finished the book interesting read! I liked the book and the story line. The battles that CeeCee went through and how she overcame them.