Nordic Noir discussion

Peter Høeg
This topic is about Peter Høeg
Author of the Month > January, 2013 - Peter Høeg

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments Our Featured Author for January is going to be Peter Høeg - his latest book was released (in English at least) in October, 2012.

So what books are you going to read by him this month?

message 2: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I am reading The Elephants Keeper if I could get to it!!

message 3: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments my library only has 1 copy of Elephant Keeper and its out until mid-January, so i'm not sure which one I am going to read - maybe The Quiet Girl

message 4: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ The only one of his I have not read is The elephants Keeper as well. Getting to it is also my problem.

message 5: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Has anyone else read this? I am not liking it. I find it kind of mundane/boring.

message 6: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ This is what the reviews are saying. I actually brought it home read twenty pages and took it back. Thought if someone I trusted liked it I would take it back out. Has anyone read it and liked it?

message 7: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I am at page 53, if it doesn't pick up, it is going into the library box Monday morning. I have too many books to read and I was dissatisfied with Smilla's Sense of Snow...so it is a pattern to me.

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard (ricoh) | 17 comments I have read it - It is slow at first and confusing but worth pressing on with it as it has some real moments. Guess you need to struggle through another 20-30 pages before you crack it and rush to the end!!
It is a constant struggle to know what to read with so many good books available especially as good if not much better than Smilla's sense of snow but it is a bit of a "classic" so it will be good to tick it off.

message 9: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments OK....I will give it another 100 or so pages and see where I am. That would be tomorrow anyway.

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Lewis (lewis038) | 2 comments Which book are you referring to?

message 11: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments The Elephant Keepers' Children.

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Lewis (lewis038) | 2 comments Thanks. I hope it gets better for you.

message 13: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments So, I am on page 250 of Elephant Keeper. Still not warming up to it. I am half way through, so I might as well finish it tomorrow.

message 14: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments OK, Finished EKC. One star. I found myself skimming it because I didn't want to lose out on the 300 pages that I had just read when I only had less than 200 pages to go. I just had the feeling like in SSoS that the characters were just way too bland and I couldn't get invested nor did I care.