Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's Dec. Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments The Private Diary of Lyle Mendendez (true crime)
by Norma Novelli
Bought this at a used book sale years ago. What an awful read. It was boring with dry conversations Lyle had with the author while she was visiting him before his trial. This is one to be thrown against a wall!

The Black Box (A Harry Bosch Novel) mystery
by Michael Connelly
Bosch is working a cold case of a murder of a young foreign reporter during the L.A. riots. Bosch
discovers a cover-up by a group of men that know about the murder.
A very good read.

Notorious Nineteen, a Stephanie Plum mystery
by Janet Evanovich
Stephanie Plum, bounty hunter, is after skips again. One particular skip is very difficult to catch.
Plum uncovers a plot which puts her and Morelli's life in danger.
A very funny part is where Plum and Lulu have to apprehend a skip at a nudist beach.
Not a bad plot at all on this one.

Lonestar Lawmen, the Second Century of the Texas Rangers (non fiction)
by Robert M. Utley (a historian and professor)
Describes the formation of the Texas Rangers and the agency's development from the 1800's to modern times. An interesting read, but some parts dragged for me.

Two Graves(mystery)
by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
An agent Pendergast book, 3rd in trilogy. Authors recommend reading the two previous books: Fever
Dream and Cold Vengeance.
Pendergast discovers his wife, Helen's true background. While working on a serial killer case, he uncovers
a plot that involves him personally. We also learn more about Constance, Pendergast's ward.
A long book and very enjoyable. I think this is the best of the trilogy for we learn more about the characters and their secrets, including Constance's real age. Lots of action in this one.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments The Black Box was a good one.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Lorraine: Here's to fewer books to throw against the wall in 2013! Happy New year and best wishes to you and Fred!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments I'm on the waiting list at the library for The Black Box....looking forward to this one!