Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated Confessions of a Prairie Bitch discussion

the best Little House memoir

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kressel Housman I've read the memoirs of three "Little House" actresses - Melissa Gilbert, Melissa Sue Anderson, and this one - and this one is definitely the best. I absolutely love that Alison and Melissa Gilbert were best friends, but I guess that was bound to happen. Think how much fun it would be to run horse races and fake mud fights!

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Seligman I didn't know there was also a memoir by Melissa Sue Anderson. I read both Alison's and Melissa Gilbert's books, enjoyed each one. Now I have one by Missy Francis (she was Cassandra in the last couple of seasons) but it's mostly about the relationship between her and her stage mother, haven't read it yet. It's on my TBR pile. What is the name of Melissa Sue Anderson's book?

Kressel Housman The Way I See It. It's not as good as the other two, except for the section on Mary's blindness.

message 4: by Dara S. (last edited Sep 01, 2013 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara S. Kressel wrote: "The Way I See It. It's not as good as the other two, except for the section on Mary's blindness."

I wasn't sure I wanted to read it since she was so nasty to the other two girls, even after the show ended.

Kressel Housman Dara S. wrote: "I wasn't sure I wnted to read it since she was so nasty to the other two girls, ev..."

My response was just the opposite. I figured after everything the other two wrote about her, she deserved a chance to defend herself. She told only one negative story about Melissa Gilbert and was fairly neutral about Alison Arngrim, so that speaks well of her. She could have sought out revenge and she didn't. But she doesn't have the same warm tone that they do, nor does she mention having friends in the cast, so she might be just as cold as they said she was.

Donna Davis I don't know that I agree with the premise of this thread. Do we need a "best" memoir? I love reading memoirs. Why not read them all, or go by the ratings?

I just finished Arngrim's, which was really well written and very entertaining. She actually made me want to read Gilbert's, which I'd initially considered somewhat miss-able.

Given everything that's been said about Anderson...I guess I would just be curious. I'd never pay full cover price for it, but if I ran across a discounted or used copy, I might go there.

Abigail Kressel wrote: "I've read the memoirs of three "Little House" actresses - Melissa Gilbert, Melissa Sue Anderson, and this one - and this one is definitely the best. I absolutely love that Alison and Melissa Gilber..."

I agree with you there. After all, from my perspective, this book is really awesome, as well as very neat, too. :)

Habib Rahman Very nice thanks with Bengali quotes and Mobile price

Kristin Loved Alison's book ! I couldn't finish Melissa Sue's book , it felt like a child wrote it . Alison's writing coupled with her sense of humor makes it feel like a comfortable friend speaking to you , even when she goes into more serious topics .