Imgur Book Club discussion

Member Info > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aethia (new)

Aethia | 12 comments Mod
Why hello there, imgurian!

This is a place where you can introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself :) To start things off, I will go first!

My name is Christie. I am 36 years old and I live in East Texas. I have been married for 17 years now, so right out of high school.

I am an avid reader, writer and roleplayer. In fact, my username comes from a fantasy story I wrote a while back. Aethia is the name of the world in my story. One day perhaps I will get it down on paper, who knows.

I am an avid fan of fables and myths. I love vampire lore, and yes... I hate Twilight. My favorite genre of book to read has always been historical romances. I know, sappy. But I love them. Second to that are fantasy books.

I love everything dragons, so will usually pick my books first based on if a dragon is involved. Dragonriders of Pern is one of my all time favorite series of books.

I am an open and honest person, usually more sarcastic and bitchy than perhaps I should be, but hey. Gotta be known for something, right?

Now.. who are you? And how do you do? :)

message 2: by Henrik (new)

Henrik Eriksson | 1 comments Oh, ok. Introduction. Lets see...
Hmmm.
Well, to start of, my name is Henrik, 36 years old, born Swede, but living in Ireland since about a decade now. I work for a major computer game company, and that's the main reason I'm still here. God knows it isn't the weather anyway. :)

I love literature, although I did read most of the books I've read when I was younger. I was always working on a book back then. Unfortunately nowadays life usually interrupts, and there isn't much time over. I do try to listen to audiobooks as often as I can.

My first love is with classical and horror, and them two mixed together. Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft is my two biggest favourites.
When it comes to contemporary I would say Neil Gaiman is probably on the top of my list.

As everyone else I feel I have a book inside me that wants to come out, I just have no idea how to find it, but someday, who knows.

Other favourite past times is movies. I am a serious film buff, and I love a good film based on a book when it's done right, which happens to seldom.

I think that should just about cover it.

If you have any questions, I never fear to disclose anything, so go right ahead.

message 3: by Silja (new)

Silja Hi. My name is Silja and I live in Northern Finland. I'm 24 years old, recently gratuated librarian. Like so recently I haven't even got my diploma yet. I guess this year is going to be all about job applications, interviews and/or joys of unimployment...

One thing I really enjoy about librarywork is seeing all the new material come through. The hoarder in me wakes up and I usually end up having more library books in my shelf than books of my own.

I don't really have a favourite genre, I'm still searching. Eye-catching covers always get my attention regardless of genre. Although it seems that many of my favourite books are horror or have some scary elements in them.

I've recently started to get into scifi. I read Dune and loved it. Looking forward to the Ender's game. I also shamelessly spy all of you to find new reads. If my "to-reads" look a lot like your favourites, chances are that I found them on your shelf.

Last, I want to share with you the slowest but most satisfying way to read a book. It's called a Book&Cats Nap and this is how it's done:

Pick your read and go to bed. You start to read and by the 5th page a wild cat appears! It purrs and you pet it. Then another one sets camp on your chest. Reading gets more difficult. The soothing purr lulls you to sleep. You wake up 3 hours later and don't know where you are or what you read. You also might have dreamt cool alternative storylines. Happy B&CN-times!

message 4: by James Haikin (new)

James Haikin | 20 comments Mod
28 years old here (29 on the 21st), and I'm an avid reader and roleplayer. I go by FaxCelestis on imgur and pretty much everywhere else, and my mutant powers are drying off quickly and networking.

I prefer fantasy and sci-fi novels, and I have a special place in my heart for dystopian future and apocalyptic novels (that reminds me to suggest Earth Abides for the February book). Mostly though I read a book for the sense of discovery: I love learning about a new place and a new world. Age of exploration books (like A Secret Atlas) are some of my favorites.

I not only play games, but I design them--I'm an amateur at the moment, but I placed in the top 16 for Paizo's RPG Superstar last year and have worked on all three of Dungeons of Dredmor's expansions. I do a lot of D&D homebrew (mostly 3.5/Pathfinder stuff), but I dabble about.

message 5: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (zeggy23) | 10 comments Hi Imgurians!!

I'm 28 year old Vancouverite, but still a kid I guess. I love dystopian young adult books. I read very quickly which allows me to read several books at once.

I'm a big nerd. Massive. I even have a Star Trek tattoo! I'm in love with my Kobo but I also still love paper books. I'm more a fan of fiction because it's nice to escape from reality.

I could go on but I won't bore you all!

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara (taraleonard) | 3 comments I feel like I'm in awesome company!

Hi! My name's Tara, and I'm 31 and live in Washington State. I was able to read chapter books starting at 2 years old, and I've probably read a bajillion books in my lifetime.

That is, until the last three years or so.

I told myself I was too busy, which is a lame, lame, lame excuse considering I go to bed at 9 p.m. when my fiance has to and read Reddit until midnight-ish. OK, more like 1 a.m.

So, new year, new resolutions. I have resolved to read at least two books a month now. My schedule is erratic and changes often due to the nature of my work, but dangit, I'm going to try my best!

Super gigantic nerd here, too. I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2, and I've played most of the others ones that have come out starting with Everquest oh so many years ago.

I love reading almost every genre, but I super love, love, love dysptopian, sci-fi and fantasy. I started out in fantasyland with Anne McCaffery's world of Pern. I love Piers Anthony. I enjoy nonfiction, too, but mostly stuff about journalism or economics.

message 7: by Zebulon (new)

Zebulon | 2 comments Hello everyone! My name is Zebulon and I live in the mountains of North Carolina. I'm 21 years old and currently a Junior in college studying Sustainable Development.

I'll read most things as long as I enjoy the story. Genres are not too important. My Mom was an English teacher and has always been a good influence for my reading. She went back to school and is now a librarian, so even more helpful.

We're still on Winter break so I have lots of free time. I just finished reading A Game of Thrones and started on A Clash of Kings.

A few of my favorites are The Little Prince, The Alchemist, and The Roads to Sata.

I spend a lot of time not reading too. I'm on my University's club cycling team so I spend a good amount of time riding bikes. I also still play video games often, but not as much as I used to. Sometimes I just sit around and watch TV too ; ;.

Nice to meet you all!

message 8: by Golfimbul (new)

Golfimbul | 4 comments Hello my lovelies,

My name is Golfimbul and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm 20 years old, I noticed I'm the youngest person to introduce myself to the group.
I'm currently studying my first year of political sciences at a university in Amsterdam.

I really enjoy reading, unfortunately I haven't been reading a lot for the past two years (besides books I need to read for my classes).
The books I like to read are mainly fantasy, scifi and horror.
And I also like to read books about politics and philosophy.
I did read a lot when I was younger I went to the library twice a week or something but as I got older it has gotten less and less.

My favorite books are:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series
The silmarilion
And a lot of Stephen king's story's

I hope that joining this group will stimulate my reading and I will do my best to remain an active member of this community (meaning that I hope not to lurk as much as I do on Imgur).

I feel like I'm in good company and great hands regarding advice and discussion about literature.

message 9: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre | 4 comments Hi everyone,
My name is Deirdre, I'm 24 and from Ireland. I'm a soon-to-be (fingers crossed) librarian, still working on my dissertation at the moment.

I love reading, particularly fantasy novels and young adult fiction. Favourites include GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire (though I haven't finished the series yet), Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series, Harry Potter series, most anything by Philip Pullman, Kelley Armstrong, and Dean Koontz. I also enjoy Jane Austen books, and do enjoy Stephen King (though I haven't read many of his books to date.

I do feel I've let reading slip a lot what with both college and work, and especially feel that I'm not branching out enough with what I'm reading, so I'm hoping that this book club will help expose me to lots of new and exciting books I haven't read yet or that I've put on my "Oh, I must get around to reading that sometime" shelf. I'm trying to become more proactive with my reading for the new year, so I will be doing my best to be as involved in this as possible. Hopefully the dissertation will be submitted come the end of February, so I'll feel less guilty about spending time on this site then.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all, and I'm looking forward to future discussions.

message 10: by Silja (new)

Silja Deirdre wrote: "I'm a soon-to-be (fingers crossed) librarian, still working on my dissertation at the moment." Yey! Another librarian! *hug*

message 11: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre | 4 comments Silja wrote: "Deirdre wrote: "I'm a soon-to-be (fingers crossed) librarian, still working on my dissertation at the moment." Yey! Another librarian! *hug*"

*Hug back* I love meeting other librarians! :D Hope your foray into the professional world goes well! I'll be facing the same soon!.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hey everyone!
My name is Amanda (JazzFluteIsForLittleFairyBoys on imgur). I'm 18, and currently getting a degree in genetics.

I absolutely love mythology and fairytales. Some of my favorites are Grimm's Fairytale and Ovid's Metamorphoses. I also really enjoyed Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
Other than fairytales, I don't really favor any particular genre; I will read just about anything.

College takes up a lot of my time, but I'm hoping to keep up with this group!

message 13: by Tamra (new)

Tamra | 3 comments Hi guys! My name is Zurdaness (on imgur as well). I'm 23 years old and working my way through school. I currently do not have too much time to read but I try! I love the Gemma Doyle series, His Dark Materials, and A Song of Fire and Ice. I have a dog and two cats and live with my wonderful boyfriend. I hope to befriend those who love books as much as I do!