Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

So Yesterday
This topic is about So Yesterday
Book Club Discussions > Janaury 2013- So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss our group read of So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld.

Please mark spoilers!

Enjoy!

message 2: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read this book several years ago. I loved the satire and the humor. I've been meaning to reread it, can't wait!

message 3: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay, chapter 1! If you haven't read it before, the main character makes a lot of hints about pop culture and usually doesn't come right out and say what he's referencing. I'm wondering how many of them will already be out of date by now? Perhaps I'll keep track.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I just started this last night and was not surprised that I was drawn in immediately. I really love Scott Westerfeld's writing.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I liked the IDEA of this book better than the execution.

The fast pace fit the storyline and setting in this book, but it didn't work for me. Too much too fast, and I felt a little lost, like I was supposed to be making connections and plot leaps but just wasn't.

(I do love how Westerfeld is such a writing chameleon. All of his books are so unique.)

message 6: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished this last night. There was so much I had forgotten. I love the purple hands and hair! Some aspects of it are worryingly true. For example, isn't Pepsi sponsoring something at the Super Bowl where everyone's supposed to take pictures and send them in? It's not too far of a leap to imagine a company would take the pictures for you without your consent (if it's not already happening). In this way, this book feels dystopian although there's nothing in it that is different or impossible from our current world.

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 10 comments I'm reading Uglies by this author at the min, what a fascinating story x

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

So Yesterday (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott Westerfeld (other topics)