UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > New Years Resolutions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Anyone got any fun/boring/interesting resolutions?

I always make some - more so of a reminder than a vast change. I always try to make them more like goals rather than huge changes in my life - do something I haven't done before and the like.

I'm having a think about mine today but I definitely want to go somewhere sunny this year. I haven't seen the sun in *so long*

message 2: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I've been persuaded to broaden my horizons and put Dot Com links to the reviews on my blog. So I shall.

Boring! *****

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Haha! It's the little things too, though, isn't it?!

message 4: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments One of my GR's related resolutions is going to be open more topics. I mean, loads of random crap goes through my head so I'll start randomly posting new topics on here about it.

*spammmmmmmmmmmmmmy*

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments oh good. i was hoping someone would open a resolutions thread as this stupid app won't let me open threads.
I've got the Sam resolution as last year. to make no resolutions.
i managed to stick wit it last year. ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments although i guess i could try to post fewer typos...

message 7: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments haha! like it Patti ;)

I don't even know what I want to do this year. The prospect of having no money for another year doesn't exactly inspire new activity.

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments i have no list - i don't like putting myself under pressure...

i will however, endeavour to keep on doing my best in all i attempt to do and not to beat myself up if things go off-track cos there's always a reason for things happening, i just need to stay in the present, not fret about the past and stop worrying about the future. and hold onto the belief and trust that things WILL always work out...

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments I need to get out more, so I'm going to make a resolution right now to do that. I sit at my desk for too long and don't take enough breaks. In 2013 I'm going to ride my exercise bike every morning and go for a walk at lunchtimes - oh, and try to play golf more regularly. That really slipped last year. So, in 2013 I'm going to be much more active!

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Kath wrote: "i have no list - i don't like putting myself under pressure...

i will however, endeavour to keep on doing my best in all i attempt to do and not to beat myself up if things go off-track cos there..."

Brilliant Kath!

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Steve wrote: "I need to get out more, so I'm going to make a resolution right now to do that. I sit at my desk for too long and don't take enough breaks. In 2013 I'm going to ride my exercise bike every mornin..."

I hear ya on that! I am normally quite active but last few months? Sat on my ass too much!

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments My resolution is to stop procrastinating. I'll start tomorrow. Or the day after.

message 13: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Ha! Lovely, Rosemary!

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments My resolution is to use my stash of makeup instead of buying more... And stick to my GR challenge.... And continue with the getting fitter/losing weight. I shall be wearing a corset by the end of the year !

2013 is going to be all about me. I've done a lot of soul searching recently, and there's gonna be some radical changes. Not sure yet where I'm gonna start though.

Happy new year everyone !

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11368 comments I don't really do resolutions, but I like to set myself rescue related targets, this year was to foster 100 cats, I'm now at 129 so I suppose 150 is the next target. If next year is anything like this it won't be hard!

I would like to pinch Steves, for a couple of reasons this year I haven't been walking as much and now one of the reasons is sorted, I would like to get back into that. I did initially want to do more proof reading, but not sure I have the time

message 16: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Brilliant Desley!

And Lorraine, I know exactly what you mean. I will doing the same with my make-up. I love wearing it/putting it on but I get so lazy I always don't bother with my eye shadows so this year I want to use up more! I also need to start doing my nails more!

message 17: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Rosemary wrote: "My resolution is to stop procrastinating. I'll start tomorrow. Or the day after."

lol!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've got a book on how to stop procrastinating you can have Rosemary. brand new. never read.

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments My resolution is to avoid housework as much as I possibly can. It’s bad for my health, especially my mental health.
Lorraine, I had that make-up resolution once and, except for lipstick, I’m still using make-up form God knows how many years back.

message 20: by Kath (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:04AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I have found over the years that I've used less and less make-up until it becomes homeopathic. Using a vanishingly small amount over a long period, I now use none at all.
Have I missed the point here?

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Make enough money to afford to go away for a holiday... (Last holiday I had was in 2006)

message 22: by Katy (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:41AM) (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I don't use make-up, unless I feel the situations warrants it. For example, I wore makeup to my uncles wedding, and to an engagement party, but I don't wear make up every day.

My new years resolutions are to believe in myself more, and be more active. I used to be really active, but I just can't bring myself to do anything since I hurt my knee - I did swimming for a few weeks, but now it doesn't fit in with my timetable change! Grr!

Don't get me wrong, I am in a very good place right now (: I've got my amazing fiance, I'm really enjoying uni, and I've got you lot, but I do tend to think 'i'm not clever enough to understand this' or 'i'm not good enough at this' and get myself really worked up over it! I aim to believe in myself for next year (:

May think of more as the day goes on (:

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments I don't have any resolutions as such but I am getting back on my diet and exercise plan so I can lose the last couple of stone that needs to go before Easter.
I also like your point Katy about believing in myself more, I have found this to be gaining recently along with my confidence so long may that continue.

I would also really love it if I wasn't single this time next year as I hate Christmas and New Year on my own and get very lonely! Am hoping the extra confidence etc will help with that plan!! :-)

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I suppose if I want anything from the new year it's to find more excellent indie authors and to tell the world about them.
The epublishing phenomenon has allowed some extremely talented people to get an audience for their work. Without it, they'd still be hiding on their hard drives.

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I've decided this the year I don't want to be on my computer or online as much. I have the best weeks when I don't spend my entire time online.

Whether it's reading more, going out more or generally just hanging out with people.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments Just when I said my resolution was to avoid housework as much as possible, my mum sends me this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/gar...

Still fails to convince me.

message 27: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments LOL!

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22039 comments Sara wrote: "Just when I said my resolution was to avoid housework as much as possible, my mum sends me this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/gar......"

Didn't convince me either if it helps :-)

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22039 comments My resolution is to stop being so modest and hiding my light under a bushel

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22039 comments Oh yes, forgot the ;-)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments 1. Learn something new

2. Do something different

3. Don't worry if I don't do either 1 or 2

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments I just thought of a book related resolution. I am going to read more mainstream books. I love the indies, don't get me wrong, but I miss mainstream books and talking about them with people who read only DTB's.

message 33: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine  | 4585 comments I always use to say i was going to try and be more ladylike but it never worked so now i don't make them,could do with losing a bit of weight tho.

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments Jim wrote: "Sara wrote: "Just when I said my resolution was to avoid housework as much as possible, my mum sends me this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/gar...?..."

I'm not alone. Good.

message 35: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I resolve to work less and play more.
When I decided to retire 2 yrs ago it was to allow me more time for family, friends and hobbies.I then agreed to work 15hrs a week this soon rose to 18 hrs and then to 3days a week which have gradually increased to 5 days most weeks.I must learn to say NO!

message 36: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Sarah - let me teach you the word 'off' - you stick it at the end of a sentence - oh, I've said too much!

message 37: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments HeHeHe!Love it Ignite. I told my boss yesterday I am only working 3 days a week with an option to reduce back to 2 days come June so have already cast my iron into the fire!I can't blame anyone but myself though.

message 38: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I'm going to come up with my resolutions (plans for the year) after my exams I reckon. I can't think at the minute

message 39: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (truckinggeek) | 90 comments Change my job!! working 60 hours a week and most weekends and bank holidays is beginning to take it's toll on me. I've also doubled my reading goals to two books a month, up from last year's 1 book/month. This doesn't include the magazines I subscribe to on my kindle, such as Fantasy and sci-fi magazine, which collectively make up the equivalent of one book in themselves

message 40: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 33 comments My resolution is not to start more than one book at a time. Once I start I end up with a pile of nether-reads with bookmarks permanently stuck somewhere near the begining of chapter one.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've got two pages of those on my kindle Robert.

I find archiving them helps. Then they don't stare at me accusingly.

message 42: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I really ought to make one to be nice to people and tell them they matter. I lost one of my very small group of quilting friends to cancer in December. She was 50. You never know the minute and you should cherish your friends at all times (even when they are annoying you!)
xxx

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That's one we should all follow, Ignite.

I think we groupites do it very well without needing a resolution though. :)

message 44: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Actually, we're not bad at it are we? I put that down to the amount of chatter where we actually get to know the people.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yet we like each other anyway. ;)

message 46: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kiwi365) | 3707 comments 1. Find a job closer to home so I don't have to pay ridiculous train prices.

2. Stick to a budget so I can finally have some savings

3. Calm down more ( I tend to get wound up quickly)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments 1366X768

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "1366X768"

What randomness is this Darren?

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I've just broken mine with a vengeance. It was 'not to swear' but I heard that our Welsh Assembly was bringing in measures that if your dog should bite a burglar in your own home you would be prosecuted. They are 'clamping down' on dogs biting. How about clamping down first on burglars? Good words failed me.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22039 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "I've just broken mine with a vengeance. It was 'not to swear' but I heard that our Welsh Assembly was bringing in measures that if your dog should bite a burglar in your own home you would be prosecuted. They are 'clamping down' on dogs biting. How about clamping down first on burglars? Good words failed me...."

Perhaps your new years resolution could be to bite a welsh burglar?

« previous 1