Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > New Series help!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Steele (steele03) | 6 comments New to the group, thanks for taking the time to read this. Ok, I'm looking for a new series to read. I'm a huge fan of JR Ward so I've read all of hers and am currently reading Rapture. I also liked the immortals after dark and demonica series. I'm looking for something of the same lines. Preferably not stacked with to much romance, I can deal with it but I like action better. I also read the immortal instruments books and enjoyed it, but I want to try to avoid the teeny bopper books. Any suggestions? I've also read midnight breed, dark hunter, and the vampire academy books. Thanks guys

message 2: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 41 comments Try Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments Garrett wrote: "New to the group, thanks for taking the time to read this. Ok, I'm looking for a new series to read. I'm a huge fan of JR Ward so I've read all of hers and am currently reading Rapture. I also like..."

try this series - its awesome Dominion (Dominion, #1) by S.E. Lund Ascension (Dominion, #2) by S.E. Lund Retribution (The Dominion Series, #3) by S.E. Lund

message 4: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 147 comments Hi, I'd suggest reading the Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost and The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong and the Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments my second choice for a series would be DB Reynolds - Vampires in America
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. Reynolds Jabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. Reynolds Rajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. Reynolds Sophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. Reynolds Duncan (Vampires in America, #5) by D.B. Reynolds Lucas (Vampires In America #6) by D.B. Reynolds

message 6: by Lisa Anne (new)

Lisa Anne (lisamessegee) | 120 comments I think you'd enjoy:
Guild Hunter by Nalini Singh
Charley Davidson by Darynda Jones
First books:
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Dec 31, 2012 06:07PM) (new)

Sarah Hipple | 6 comments You've gotten some good recommendations. I'd like to second these:
Guild Hunter by Nalini Singh
Fever series by Karen Marie Moning
Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost
Those are definitely some of my favorites
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh The Fever Series 5-Book Bundle Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, Dreamfever, Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 06, 2013 10:28AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Also Moon Called by Patricia Briggs and its companion/parallel series Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf: Volume Two

If you like a gay main character (no sex, tho) then you might like Smoke and Shadows series (altho this is a stand-alone series, its actually a follow up series to Blood Price the Victoria Nelson series) by Tanya Huff. You probably won't remember it (it was on for like 3 weeks) but there WAS a TV series made based on the Vickie Nelson series. I think it was shown on Ovation. Huff also has several other series that are "uf lite."

The Night Huntress series is GREAT. I also liked the Guild Hunter series.

Oh, you might also like Storm Front (aka The Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher. Again, a TV series for like 2 weeks. Warning tho--the first book (Storm Front) was not only the first book in the series, but the first book that Butcher ever sold. So its a little draggy in places. But after that, it really picks up.

message 9: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Steele (steele03) | 6 comments Well thanks all, I'm going to definitely look into some of these. I'm right in the middle of Rapture so in about a day or so it's gonna be time to start a new series.

message 10: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Doidge | 39 comments I second Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series, the Fever seres, and Mercy Thompson series, and add the Kate Daniel's series, which starts with Magic Bites? I'm a big fan.

I've just started the Dresden Files series myself. I'm just beginning the third book and I like them so far. I didn't think I'd like the male POV much but I do.

message 11: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments I recommend these books. Butt kicking ladies :)
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep
Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 12: by L.M. (new)

L.M. David | 13 comments Paris (kerbytejas) wrote: "my second choice for a series would be DB Reynolds - Vampires in America
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. ReynoldsJabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. ReynoldsRajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. ReynoldsSophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. Reynolds[bookcover:Duncan..."

I agree with Paris. This is an excellent series. I haven't read Lucas but the reviews for it are really good.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments I second the Fever series the Kate Daniels series and Night Huntress! Great books!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 157 comments Yep I'll third all them too

message 15: by Maer (new)

Maer | 9 comments Awesome thread and great question! I've been looking for my next reads, too. I'll be taking a closer look at these

message 16: by Tyhitia (new)

Tyhitia | 54 comments Garrett, you mentioned you liked action better? Me too. Here are my suggestions to you: Faith Hunter's Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter and L.A. Banks Minion (Vampire Huntress Legend, #1) by L.A. Banks

message 17: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 63 comments C.C. wrote: "I recommend these books. Butt kicking ladies :)
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep
Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost"

I was going to recommend these, so I'll just second is post. :)

message 18: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (MissKris7198) | 74 comments Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler Jane True Series by Nicole Peeler is pretty action packed

message 19: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi Romans (BobbiR) | 26 comments Keri Arthur (Were/Vamp) Kick ass heroine. The Riley Jenson Series.

Jeanine Frost-- Night Huntress Series

Juliana Stone- His Darkest Embrace (Jaguar series)

Cynthia Eden - Midnight Series

Yes- to those above- Karen Marie Moning

Also-- Sherilyn Kenyon

All fantastic series to name a few.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (limabean74) Larissa Ione has a great series
Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione
6 in the Demonica Series

then 4 in the Horseman Series
Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (miss_melissa_renee) | 1 comments I have read both of those =D that are super good!!

message 22: by Michelle (last edited Feb 13, 2013 02:00PM) (new)

Michelle  (limabean74) have you read her other series
Riding the Storm

The ACRO Series

These aren't to bad. I haven't finished them yet but I plan to :)

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments Michelle wrote: "have you read her other series
Riding the Storm

The ACRO Series

These aren't to bad. I haven't finished them yet but I plan to :)"

ARCO was a great series

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyjeffery) | 36 comments The Wild Hunt by Ashley Jeffery

Urban Fantasy about a girl who sees rotting ghosts.

Heather (Raevynemyst) (raevynemyst) | 14 comments You might like the Grave With series. So far there is 3 in that series so far. The author is Kalayna Price.

Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price
Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price
Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3) by Kalayna Price

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments All the ones below are a definite must and you have to read them. You will fall in love with at least one of these series.

Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance Fury's Kiss Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning
Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Pure (Covenant, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Deity (Covenant, #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews
Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

I'm a "judge a book by its cover" girl and honestly I can't say how glad I am that I didn't judge any of these because they were all fantastic reads!

message 27: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Lafiene (bau33) | 13 comments IF YOU LIKE ACTION: Try C.J. Baker the Lazarus Series. Its dark, funny and has action.

message 28: by R. Scott (new)

R. Scott VanKirk (svankirk) | 3 comments Definitely read: The Fever series, the Kate Daniels series and Night Huntress series as mentioned above.

There is also the Hollows series which starts ok, but becomes seriously cool. Awesome world building.
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

And of course there is the eponymous Dresden series.

You might want to try the Ancient Enemy series. It's a new series (mine:) with a unique take on the genre.

The Dryad's Kiss (Ancient Enemy #1) by R. Scott VanKirk The Shadow's Touch (Ancient Enemy #2) by R. Scott VanKirk The Templar's Legacy (Ancient Enemy #3) by R. Scott VanKirk

message 29: by Brittney (new)

Brittney (BrittneyM) | 35 comments Garrett wrote: "New to the group, thanks for taking the time to read this. Ok, I'm looking for a new series to read. I'm a huge fan of JR Ward so I've read all of hers and am currently reading Rapture. I also like..."

Have you tired the Brotherhood of Blood series?? The first book is Be Mine Tonight; Be Mine Tonight (Brotherhood of Blood, #1) by Kathryn Smith . There are 5 books in all. But they're Supernatural as well. But the romantic romance is there. Or maybe the Otherworld/Sister's of the Moon Series by Yasmine Galenorn? The first book is Witchling; Witchling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #1) by Yasmine Galenorn . The Otherworld/Sister's of the Moon series is filled with action!! I loved them and have read all of a couple of the books you've mentioned above. Good luck and Happy reading!!

message 30: by .chel. (last edited Jun 28, 2013 11:19PM) (new)

.chel. (itschel) | 41 comments I really liked the Fever series from KMM Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

The Covenant series Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout & the Lux series Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout from J. Armentrout

message 31: by Mika (new)

Mika (mika_bull) | 13 comments I would also recommend the Fever series - one of my all time favs - MUST READ Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

Or the Charley Davidson series - the main character is saracastic & hilarious. & the leading male is the alpha male/"bad boy"/has deep dark secrets type First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

message 32: by R. Scott (new)

R. Scott VanKirk (svankirk) | 3 comments Mika wrote: "I would also recommend the Fever series - one of my all time favs - MUST READ Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

I really liked this series too, but be warned: there are lots and lots of sex scenes.

message 33: by Larry (new)

Larry Hutson (lrhutson) | 2 comments I'd echo previous recommendations of Patricia Briggs series.
I've enjoyed Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer novels, Christina Henry's Black Wings series.
Little further afield, but I really like Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series and Simon Green's Nightside series.

Several people have mentioned Jeaniene Frost's series, but I have to admit I've never been able to get into it. Others seems to love it, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

message 34: by Heather (last edited Aug 29, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Heather (momto3) Connie Suttle's Blood Destiny Series, Legend of the Ir'Indicti Series, High Demon Series & her newest series, The God Wars.

Sierra Dean's Secret McQueen series

Nicky Charles Law of the Lycans series

message 35: by Akd (new)

Akd Shayla Black's Doomsday Brethren Series.
And even though there is romance in her books, Kresley Cole is a FANTASTIC writer. Her Immortals After Dark series is pretty epic; action, humor, interwoven stories.

message 36: by Jesi (new)

Jesi | 25 comments hey guys, Im looking for a series like Lora Leigh's Breeds & Laurann Dohner -new species..any ideas?

message 37: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Sep 05, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Jes, did you try the shifters Unbound series? Pride Mates is book 1. I read this totally out of order--one of the books was offered free on Kindle, and well, unable to pass up a free book. . . After reading it, I went looking for the rest of the series. The newest book in the series had my favourite shifter as the "star" and he got his HEA. Sigh, Tiger ssooo deserved it, too.

message 38: by Jesi (new)

Jesi | 25 comments Yes! i live thee Jennifer Ashley series- Pride mates. and yeah tigers book was awesome! he has been my fave since he was introduced to the series!!

message 39: by Jesi (new)

Jesi | 25 comments any other ideas??

message 40: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 8 comments I'm just going to third/fourth/fifth Fever and Charley Davidson. You definitely will NOT regret.

message 41: by Jesi (new)

Jesi | 25 comments will try it thanks!

message 42: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Gomes-Mckie (marshagomes-mckie) | 11 comments All great recommendations, those that I haven't read I will try myself.

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol (Scottishcaz) | 5 comments Hi I was hoping to get some suggestions for a new series to read. I enjoy Kim Harrison's Rachel and friends. I also enjoyed Marnie Baranuick, Charley Davidson grim reaper and I am reading Elven Blood by Debra Dunbar at the moment to give you some idea. I am looking to find a series with a good story(obviously ) but with a good sense of humour too. Can anyone help please. Thanks

message 44: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Did you try the Jane Jameson series yet? Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs is book 1. There is a spin-off series also called Half Moon Hollow after you finish off the Jane series.

Would-Be Witch is the first book in the Southern Witch series.

Oh, and you have GOT to read the "Others" series. One Bite with a Stranger is the first in the series. But I have to admit, I just love this title She's No Faerie Princess. Warren does a good job of turning fairy tales on their head in this series. Altho I will also say--some are better than others.

message 45: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 73 comments I agree with the Lux and Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, I love all her books(:

I also recommend Laws Of The Lycans series by Nicky Charles, The Shapes Of Autumn series by Veronica Blade, and Bound series by Cynthia Eden

Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic (firefairyholic) | 41 comments the Fever Series and Kate Daniels Series definitely

message 47: by Ashlenie (new)

Ashlenie | 1 comments I'm new to the group and need some help finding a good series to read I just finished the divergent series but don't know what to read now....

Michelle {Book Hangovers} (bookhangovers) Kristin wrote: "Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler Jane True Series by Nicole Peeler is pretty action packed"

Never heard of this series before! Thank you for recommending it!! I'll be checking it out :)

message 49: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas Wilson | 2 comments Have you read Maggie for Hire? Fairly light urban fantasy with a pretty humorous tone. Not sure how many books are in the series now. My wife read the first one, and I haven't heard her mention reading the others.

Also, Modern Sorcery was supposed to be pretty entertaining, too.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 107 comments Paris (kerbytejas) wrote: "try this series - its awesome Dominion (Dominion, #1) by S.E. Lund Ascension (Dominion, #2) by S.E. Lund Retribution (Dominion, #3) by S.E. Lund ..."

I completely agree with Paris' recommendation and would add:

A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) by Elizabeth Hunter The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries, #3) by Elizabeth Hunter A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4) by Elizabeth Hunter and the spin-off series Building From Ashes (Elemental World, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter Waterlocked (Elemental World, #1.5) by Elizabeth Hunter Blood and Sand (Elemental World, #2) by Elizabeth Hunter

« previous 1