What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED!: Creepy story by male French author [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 9 comments I have spent over an hour combing google and goodreads for a certain book I am looking to add to my shelves. I read it a couple of years ago, and this is what I remember:

1. It is by a male French author (I think an English translation, and the author might have had two words to his name...I kept coming back to the name Carr, Carre but might be totally off)

2. The book wasn't large. It was a hardback, and the cover was vague and mysterious, like it had a square of a blurry black and white photo of a car driving past or something, otherwise pretty plain

3. It wasn't too long (200 pages or less). The title wasn't too special- something like "The Drive" or "The Trip"

4. It was about a father taking his son to camp and then abducting another boy and (I think) raping and killing him, but it didn't come smack out and say it. The book created a swirling of dread in the pit of the stomach, much like Stewart O'Nan's A Prayer for the Dying but was written very well, not like pulp horror but the lit fic variety...gaunt in its style.

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Could it have been written by Georges Simenon?
Red Lights (New York Review Books Classics) by Georges Simenon Red Lights maybe? Or something else by him? When was it written? Or when did you read it? Was it set in France?

message 3: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 58 comments oh!! its class trip by carrere!!

message 4: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 26 comments if that's not it, i would check out john le carre--a lot of his covers are like you described, though i haven't read any of them and wouldn't know their plots haha.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 9 comments That is it! Whoohoo! Fifty cool points for karen (thankyouthankyouthankyou)! I had been looking for Nicholas Carr or Nicholas Carre, which means that my brain is not as horribly fried as I thought (the main character is named Nicholas).

So what to do now? I am supposed to move this to Solved?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Jen, I'll move it for you.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 9 comments Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Red Lights (other topics)