Around the World in 80 Books discussion

USA Reading Roadtrip Challenge > Connie's USA Roadtrip for 2013-15

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Connie (last edited Oct 16, 2015 10:16PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Number of States Read: 50 + D.C.

List of USA States Read:

Alabama "Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald" (6/4/13), "The Keepers of the House" (2/8/14), "Go Set A Watchman" (8/4/15), "Addie Pray" (10/3/15)
Alaska "The Cruelest Miles" (1/31/14), "The Snow Child" (2/7/14)
Arizona "Her Cowboy's Christmas Wish" (12/23/14)
Arkansas "The Cockroaches of Stay More" (12/9/14)
California "Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore" (1/24/13), "God Help the Child" (7/18/15)
Colorado "Benediction" (9/28/13), "Our Souls at Night" (6/12/15)
Connecticut "The Road to the Island" (1/28/13), "Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend" (1/1/14), "Long Day's Journey Into Night" (3/19/15)
Delaware "The Book of Unknown Americans" (7/26/14)
Florida "Dust Tracks on a Road" (3/2/13), "Blue Asylum" (6/24/13), "Paper Towns" (6/19/14)
Georgia "Home" (7/27/13), "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe" (3/3/14), "The Member of the Wedding" (8/6/14), "Tobacco Road" (6/6/15)
Hawaii "East Wind, Rain" (6/28/15)
Idaho "A Country Called Home" (7/17/15)
Illinois "Turn of Mind" (9/26/13)
Indiana "Orfeo" (9/13/14)
Iowa "Remembering Laughter" (1/2/13), "A Thousand Acres" (8/21/13), "Alice's Tulips" (7/5/15)
Kansas "A Quilt for Christmas" (1/2/14)
Kentucky "A Parchment of Leaves" (4/11/14), "Nathan Coulter" (12/11/14)
Louisiana "A Streetcar Named Desire" (10/6/13), "The Awakening" (10/20/13), "My Sunshine Away" (4/4/15), "A Lesson Before Dying" (8/13/15)
Maine "The Promise of Stardust" (5/3/13), "Five Days" (10/25/13), "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" (2/12/15)
Maryland "Saint Maybe" (3/15/13)
Massachusetts "The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home" (1/13/13);"The Good House" (4/28/13); "The Rebellion of Jane Clarke" (9/3/13); "Blackbird House" (6/10/14), "The Ninth Daughter" (4/27/15), "The Midwife's Revolt" (4/30/15), "Inside the O'Briens" (6/2/15), "The Matchmaker" (6/5/15), "The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs" (9/14/15)
Michigan "Station Eleven" (9/27/15)
Minnesota "Orphan Train" (10/1/14)
Mississippi "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (6/22/13), "Mudbound" (10/6/13), "Wolf Whistle" (3/9/15), "The Unvanquished (5/15/15)
Missouri "Gone Girl" (3/11/13), "The Glass Menagerie" (9/21/13), "Tomato Red" (9/2/14), "Stoner" (7/27/15)
Montana "The Poacher's Daughter" (12/06/14)
Nebraska "Fangirl" (12/29/13)
Nevada "Battleborn" (7/20/15)
New Hampshire "Sea Glass" (8/7/13), "Leaving Time" (2/10/15)
New Jersey "Nemesis" (4/30/13)
New Mexico "Balloons Can Be Murder" (11/22/13), "Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout" (6/16/15)
New York "Girl in Translation" (1/8/13), "Sutton" (2/23/13), "The Golem and the Jinni" (7/19/13), "A Tap on the Window" (10/27/13), "A Violet Season" (4/6/14), "Flowers for Algernon" (4/16/14), "Delicious!" (7/1/14), "The Age of Innocence" (10/9/14), "Franny and Zooey" (10/17/14), "Let the Great World Spin" (12/20/14), "What I Loved" (1/20/15), "Orphan #8" (9/23/15)
North Carolina "Serena" (9/21/13)
North Dakota "Love Medicine" (5/25/15)
Ohio "The Light in the Forest" (1/3/13), "The Last Runaway" (2/18/13), "Winesburg, Ohio" (9/19/14)
Oklahoma "Shoot the Moon" (10/16/15)
Oregon "Little Century" (7/28/13), "The Enchanted" (6/18/14)
Pennsylvania "The Christmas Wish" (1/1/13)
Rhode Island "The Red Tree" (7/3/15)
South Carolina "My Reading Life" (7/22/13), "The Invention of Wings" (7/23/14)
South Dakota "Dakota: A Spiritual Geography" (9/27/15)
Tennessee "Flight Behavior" (4/4/13), "A Death in the Family" (8/7/14)
Texas "11/22/63" (6/19/13); "Blue-Eyed Devil" (9/5/13); "Loteria" (10/30/13)
Utah "The World's Strongest Librarian" (7/12/13)
Vermont "The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs" (1/6/14), "And the Dark Sacred Night" (2/8/15)
Virginia "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" (4/19/13), "The Silver Star" (12/8/13), "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" (5/25/14), "Mr Owita's Guide to Gardening" (6/20/14), "I Shall Be Close To You" (3/16/15)
Washington "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" (8/26/13), "Songs of Willow Frost" (12/30/13), "The Orchardist" (3/3/14), "Morning Glory" (4/6/14), "Aquarium" (5/22/15)
West Virginia "Coal Black Horse" (7/9/14)
Wisconsin "Learning to Stay" (7/14/13)
Wyoming "Close Range" (7/12/15)

Washinton DC "The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt" (2/8/13)

message 2: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Pennsylvania The Christmas Wish by Richard Siddoway The Christmas Wish by Richard Siddoway. This is a warm, inspirational Christmas book about kindness and forgiveness.

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Iowa Remembering Laughter by Wallace Stegner Remembering Laughter by Wallace Stegner. Set on an Iowa farm, this classic debut novel deals with the chill of betrayal and unforgiveness in a love triangle.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Ohio The Light in the Forest by Conrad Richter The Light in the Forest by Conrad Richter. This is a YA adventure story about a boy caught between the Native American and white cultures.

message 5: by Connie (last edited Jan 08, 2013 10:06PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments New York Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. This was a reread for a library book discusssion. A young girl and her mother immigrate from China, and spend years living in an unheated apartment and working in a sweatshop in the clothing district. The girl, an exceptional student, lifts them out of poverty after getting a good education. A good book for discussion groups.

message 6: by Connie (last edited Jan 13, 2013 09:17PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Massachusetts The Big House A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home by George Howe Colt The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home by George Howe Colt. Four generations have enjoyed a large summer home overlooking Buzzard's Bay (Cape Cod) when they are faced with making a decision to sell the home.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments California Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. This is a wonderful fantasy intersecting the new world of Information Technology with the old world of printmaking. Very creative and lots of geeky fun!

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Connecticut The Road to the Island by Tom Hazuka The Road to the Island by Tom Hazuka. This is a book about relationships and forgiveness.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Washington D.C. The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt by Eleanor Roosevelt The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt by Eleanor Roosevelt. The life of one of our most interesting First Ladies.

message 10: by Connie (last edited Feb 17, 2013 09:33PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Ohio The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier. Another Ohio book. A Quaker woman wants to help the runaway slaves in the Underground Railroad, while knowing she would be jeopardizing both her family's safety and their dairy farm.

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments New York Sutton by J.R. Moehringer Sutton by J.R. Moehringer. Another book set in New York. Good historical fiction about the real bank robber Willie Sutton.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Florida Dust Tracks on a Road by Zora Neale Hurston Dust Tracks on a Road by Zora Neale Hurston. The author was an anthropologist, writer, collector of black folklore, and one of the voices of the Harlem Renaissance.

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Missouri Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. This is a psychological thriller about a marriage made in hell, and the disappearance of the wife.

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Maryland Saint Maybe by Anne Tyler Saint Maybe by Anne Tyler. This is a story about guilt and redemption with wonderful quirky characters.

message 15: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Tennessee Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. This is a book set in rural Appalachia with a theme of climate change.

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Virginia Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Her family eats only local, organic foods for one year, mostly grown on their farm and bought at farmers' markets. The goal was to save fossil fuel, which is used to transport foods long distances.

message 17: by Connie (last edited Apr 30, 2013 11:06PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments New Jersey Nemesis by Philip Roth Nemesis by Philip Roth. This is set during a polio epidemic in Newark, while World War II is an additional nemesis in 1944.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Maine The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley. This love story explores many medical and legal issues.

message 19: by Connie (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:23PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Alabama Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler. An enjoyable book about Zelda and Scott, and their marriage.

message 20: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Texas 11/22/63 by Stephen King 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I loved this time travel book.

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Mississippi Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams. This play about a dysfunctional family won a Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1955.

message 23: by Connie (last edited Jul 14, 2013 08:28PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Wisconsin Learning to Stay by Erin Celello Learning to Stay by Erin Celello. This story is about a veteran who returns from Iraq as a changed man, the challenges their marriage faces, and a dog that helps them.

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments South Carolina My Reading Life by Pat Conroy My Reading Life by Pat Conroy

message 25: by Andreaks (new)

Andreaks | 20 comments I really like that you write a little bit about the book in your thread, I've already added about six of them to my TBR:)

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Andreaks, I hope you enjoy the books. I write a longer review on the book's main page of almost everything I read. It helps me remember the book.

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Georgia Home by Toni Morrison Home by Toni Morrison. Haunted by events in the Korean War, a man returns home to rescue his sister.

message 28: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Oregon Little Century by Anna Keesey Little Century by Anna Keesey. A woman moves to the frontier town of Century, Oregon, where feuds exist between the cattlemen and the sheepmen.

message 29: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments New Hampshire Sea Glass by Anita Shreve Sea Glass by Anita Shreve. This is the story of a troubled marriage, and financial problems in a mill town at the start of the Great Depression.

message 30: by Connie (last edited Aug 25, 2013 11:34PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Washington Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Coming-of-age story of a Chinese boy whose first love is a Japanese girl at the start of World War II.

message 31: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments North Carolina Serena by Ron Rash Serena by Ron Rash. A greedy, ruthless couple in the timber industry in 1929. This is being made into a movie.

message 32: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Illinois Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante. A murder mystery, and a character study of a woman with Alzheimers who can't remember if she's responsible for the death of her best friend.

message 33: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Colorado Benediction by Kent Haruf Benediction by Kent Haruf. The book centers on the dying Dad Lewis, his family, and neighbors in a small town in the Colorado plains.

message 34: by Connie (last edited Oct 06, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Louisiana A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. A wonderful tragic play!

message 36: by Connie (last edited Dec 29, 2013 08:41PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Nebraska Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Fangirl byRainbow Rowell. The book is fun in many ways--as a coming of age story, as a cute "first love" romance, and as a window into fanfiction.

message 37: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Vermont The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs by Nick Trout The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs by Nick Trout. This book about a veterinarian was told with humor, warmth, and a great love for animals.

message 38: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Alaska The Cruelest Miles The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic by Gay Salisbury The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic by Gay Salisbury andLaney Salisbury. Great non-fiction book about the men and sled dogs that risked their lives to bring vials of antitoxin to Nome during a diphtheria epidemic.

message 39: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Kentucky A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House. Beautiful writing and an engaging story set in the Kentucky mountains in the early 1900s.

message 40: by Terry (new)

Terry Turrell (terrylturrell) I added this one to my list-thank! I haven't read a book like this in a long time, and I'm looking for a change from mysteries. I look forward to reading this one.

message 41: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Terry wrote: "I added this one to my list-thank! I haven't read a book like this in a long time, and I'm looking for a change from mysteries. I look forward to reading this one."

It's a book to savor, Terry. I hope you like it too.

message 42: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments West Virginia Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead. I loved the author's spare lyrical prose in this coming-of-age book set in time of the American Civil War.

message 43: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Delaware The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez. Compelling story about Latin American immigrants.

message 44: by Connie (last edited Sep 13, 2014 09:00PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Indiana Orfeo by Richard Powers Orfeo by Richard Powers. Readers that enjoy music and literary fiction will love this book. It is also set in PA, MA, and some other locations.

message 45: by Connie (last edited Sep 30, 2014 10:11PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Minnesota Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. This book weaves together contemporary and historic stories about two orphans. More than two hundred thousand homeless children traveled on the orphan trains between 1854 and 1929, from the Eastern US cities to be placed with Midwestern families.

message 46: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Montana The Poacher's Daughter by Michael Zimmer The Poacher's Daughter by Michael Zimmer. Action-packed story set in the Old West in 1885.

message 47: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Arkansas Cockroaches of Staymore by Donald Harington Cockroaches of Staymore by Donald Harington. Humorous and fun!

message 48: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Arizona Her Cowboy's Christmas Wish (Mustang Valley #2) by Cathy McDavid Her Cowboy's Christmas Wish by Cathy McDavid. Contemporary romance with a Christmas theme.

message 49: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments Kansas A Quilt for Christmas by Sandra Dallas A Quilt for Christmas. Set during the Civil War, this is a story about family, friendship, charity, forgiveness, and tolerance.

message 50: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 835 comments North Dakota Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich. This is a multigeneration story about a group of Native Americans in North Dakota.

« previous 1