Daily Diary discussion

Wicked...I just finished it

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments So, I just finished Wicked and I enjoyed it a lot. The way Maguire turned Oz on its head was fantastic. The philosophical speak on Evil and the parallelisms to life on Earth were well done.

Usually, when I finish a book I enjoy, I want to go out and read everything else that author has to offer me. This time, I'm just not interested.

Has anyone else felt that way about a certain book, or about Wicked specifically?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShannonC73) | 7 comments I, myself, feel that way a lot. When I read something I really enjoy, I find myself wanting to read everything they have ever written. I love books that are in a series, I have a problem with books actually "ending". lol

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I've only read Wicked so I guess I had that thought too or just too much other stuff to read.

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (Target) | 10 comments I borrowed my freinds Wicked audiobook and liked it alot. Personally when it comes to authors, I'll love one of their books or series's and hate the rest. The one author I really enjoy is Anne McCaffery. Most of her stuff is really good.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments Could you describe more about Anne McCaffery's writing?

message 6: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (Target) | 10 comments Anne McCafferey is a scifi/fantasy writer, I was drawn to her Pern novels and the "Freedom" novels, but she's written quite a few other books and short stories. I can't really describe her writing very well...she's just a really good storyteller... Sorry, I can't describe books or writing that well...

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne | 10 comments Anna - your initial comment is so funny because after I read Wicked (and loved it), I wanted to read everything by Maguire. I read "Lost" and "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister", but neither were quite as good. I have "Son of a Witch" on a shelf at home.

But, I did have your reaction to Alice Walker's "A Color Purple" and Margaret Atwood's "A Handmaid's Tale" - I think I found these books so incredible that I worried reading something else by Walker or Atwood would just let me down.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Reading more Atwood definitely won't let you down. I had the same reaction after reading wicked.

message 9: by Alexandra (last edited Jan 19, 2008 08:11AM) (new)

Alexandra ick. I didn't finish "Wicked", couldn't stomach it even on audio. Then again, I couldn't finish "A Handmaid's Tale" either.

Don't mind me fans, just popped in to say "I don't get it" :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Anne, I agree, Atwood is one writer who will not ever let you down. And, if she does, it will be because the book is only 'great' instead of 'masterpiece.' Stick with her.

message 11: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore I loved Wicked, but I liked "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" better.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I enjoyed Confesstions of an Ugly Stepsister but I didn't care for Lost or Son of a Witch. Mirror, Mirror was also good. I had high expectations for Son of a Witch though but I was disappointed.

message 13: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore I didn't like Son of a Witch at all. Although, since reading some of the original Oz books with my kids, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had known more of the references.

message 14: by Allison (new)

Allison i finished wicked not too long ago, and am going to pick up son of a witch from the library tomorrow.
when i finish a book that i really love (like wicked) i too want to read every book in the series and that the author has written.
in fact, i've asked for quite a few of maguire's books for christmas.

message 15: by Marlaina (new)

Marlaina Okay, Wicked is one of most favorite books of all time! such a good book. Also the second, Son of a Witch and the third one A lion among men, which i have yet to read

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I loved Wicked but have not ready any of her other books. Love the musical even more!