Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

Weird impressions and connotations?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So you know how Meyer likes to describe Bella and Edward kissing, right? One common way she does it is "his lips crushed mine." I know this is really silly and trivial, but am I the only one who keeps imagining broken bones (in the lips) every time she describes it like that?

Sorry. It's just...I can't help it. Edward is super strong and stuff after all, he DOES have the potential to break her mouth.

Mochaspresso It's a commonly used phrase in the romance genre. Probably overused. I've seen it many many many many many times. Its a hard passionate kiss.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh. I see.

Still, it's a bit...weird...and yeah, it looks like literature has officially run out of ways to find an original way to describe kissing the MC's fated True Love. *sigh* I guess I'll just settle for broken bones...

Kirby just for curiosity's sake- what word would you have used?

message 5: by M.R. (new) - rated it 1 star

M.R. Graham Yeah, I got socked in the mouth with a baseball, once. When you're talking about a boyfriend who is hard as marble and capable of accidentally squishing your head while trying to stroke your hair, it's hard to take "crushed" figuratively.
While it's not one of the things that got me about Twilight, it did make me wince before I realized it wasn't literal. Possibly could have been toned down to something as simple as "pressed." Lacks intensity, but also lacks unfortunate mental images of bruised lips and broken teeth. D:

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 30, 2012 11:06PM) (new)

Kirby wrote: "just for curiosity's sake- what word would you have used?"

Lol! I don't know. If I ever become an author I sure as hell am going to kick out any potential romance. First because it's so cliche (I'm referring to the kissing), second because I don't think I can do the job decently. :P

Probably, like M.R. suggested, "pressed." Or maybe I would just cut down the number of kissing scenes so I wouldn't imagine the broken bones too much. I mean, clearly, Meyer is trying to come up with a new and creative way to describe the kissing, but if that fails I would just go for a bit more simplicity.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 30, 2012 11:31PM) (new)

M.R. wrote: "Yeah, I got socked in the mouth with a baseball, once. When you're talking about a boyfriend who is hard as marble and capable of accidentally squishing your head while trying to stroke your hair, ..."

Exactly. Since Bella repeatedly describes how strong and marbly and hard Edward is I keep wincing every time she describes how his lips "crushed" hers. "Ouch! That must hurt..."

message 8: by Gerd (last edited Jan 01, 2013 04:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Jocelyn wrote: "First because it's so cliche (I'm referring to the kissing)"
Well, with literally billions doing it everyday it's bound to be isn't it? (Kissing, not writing romance, though they do that, too, in a sort of ways). :D

I'm probably too used to read of crushed lips to take them literally anymore, but honestly I thought this description of a kiss (from "Moonslasher") to be a lot more ick!
In answer, he explored the tiny corners of her mouth with his tongue, before it slipped into those moist depths.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2013 08:47AM) (new)

Gerd wrote: "In answer, he explored the tiny corners of her mouth with his tongue, before it slipped into those moist depths."

Lol!!! That's like the equivalent of Martin describing his sex scenes in A Game of Thrones. I guess Edward and Bella do look rather tame in comparison.

message 10: by M.R. (new) - rated it 1 star

M.R. Graham .__. Oh, I don't like that.

Martin's sex scenes occasionally border on the hilarious. Unlike most, his do often further the plot, but I get the impression that, at some point, he vowed that he would never use the same body-part euphemism twice. Someone should make a list.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, his sex descriptions are clumsy and immature at best. It's like he's indulging in his sexual fantasies when he goes into a lengthy graphic description of it for the umpteenth time. His word choices are just...bizarre. I understand he's trying to make the sex interesting but it's just...hilarious, like you said.

message 12: by Jeni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeni "I could tell he was trying to be gentle--he always is when he kisses me--but even Edward's softest kiss feels passionate."

My humble offering in the style of SM--interruption and everything.

Better yet:

"I could tell he was trying to be gentle, but even Edward's softest kiss feels passionate."

Kirby Jocelyn wrote: "Kirby wrote: "just for curiosity's sake- what word would you have used?"

Lol! I don't know. If I ever become an author I sure as hell am going to kick out any potential romance. First because it's..."

yeah, I agree that probably her best option would have been to somewhat reduce the number of kissing scenes. I always do my best to try to choose the exact right word, and sometimes it just gets frustrating. like, here- I just don't think pressed would really convey the passion and intensity...I would think of that word more like "he pressed her hand" or something like that. so, anyway- I think that crushed did have the right connotation in this instance, but was just overused.

Kirby Peace wrote: "i wonder how he handle everything before she was turn into new born vamp."

very carefully! :D