"Summer Reads" All Year Round! discussion

Becoming Mrs. Walsh Discussion > The Walsh Lifestyle

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Dec 31, 2012 09:58AM) (new)

Jessica Gordon (jessicagordon) | 19 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Thanks again for joining. I thought it would be fun to discuss the opulent lifestyle of the Walshes and why wealth and glamour is so appealing to us. Look at success of shows like Gossip Girl, Revenge, Beverly HIlls 90210...

Interesting fact: Supposedly, Darren Star's original idea for 90210 was based on Potomac, MD where he grew up, same town as where some of the Walshes live...

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 9 comments I honestly don't know if that lifestyle appeals to me. I have worked very hard to get my little house and family, but I think I pictured wealth as unhappy until reading this book. Now I think it would be nice and less stressful, but what would I have to achieve? hmmm...

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Gordon (jessicagordon) | 19 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I honestly don't know if that lifestyle appeals to me. I have worked very hard to get my little house and family, but I think I pictured wealth as unhappy until reading this book. Now I think it wo..."

I think that's a really good point on both counts. On one hand, you can have a life of riches with a loving family, warm home to live...

On the other hand, seeing how money can make life easier could make you think twice. In the book, when Sho has a chance to fly private she thinks about money and convenience which prompts the line: "Sure, things weren't perfect—having money didn't make problems go away, but it sure made coping with them a hell of a lot easier." I think there is some truth to that as well. Sho is exposed to such an extreme lifestyle, she realizes that it will be hard to revert back to where she came from.

But, as Rachel points out...at what price? How much would you give up for a lifestyle you were in love with? Did Sho make the right decision? Sometimes a life like that can tempt you into re-evaluating who you are and what you are made of. Or the other possibility is that the lifestyle may not be worth it at all...