Read 100+ Books in 2013 discussion

January's challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 103 comments Mod
Here we are at the beginning of a new year. Let's have fun.

1. Read a book whose title starts with A.
2. Read a book whose author's name begins with A.
3. Read a book about winter.
4. Read a book about felines.
5. Read a non-fiction book.
6. Read a book about a crime.
7. Read a book made into a movie.
8. Read a book on the first page of your Goodreads to-read list.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Marggret (new)

Marggret Leach | 4 comments OK, So I have #1 covered only because the book starts with "A" and I hope number #2 is covered with Maya Angelou. Will have to finished that book. I think this might cover #5 as well. Will have to work on the rest. To bad this is for Jan as I have just finished Beautiful Creatures and that would have covered #7. Off to a great year of reading.

message 3: by Ania (new)

Ania (radosiewka) Great idea with monthly challenges:)Going to read The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - it's my choice, it was made into movie (kind of - if you consider BBC's tv series etc), it's about crimes;]

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Marggret wrote: "OK, So I have #1 covered only because the book starts with "A" and I hope number #2 is covered with Maya Angelou. Will have to finished that book. I think this might cover #5 as well. Will have ..."

Maya Angelou fits the bill.

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Anna wrote: "Great idea with monthly challenges:)Going to read The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - it's my choice, it was made into movie (kind of - if you consider BBC's tv series etc), it's about crimes;]"

Sherlock Holmes fits a lot of categories. Use it for any of them.

message 6: by Kristy (last edited Jan 31, 2013 01:16PM) (new)

Kristy | 17 comments New Year, new reading list and new friends to compare books with! Hi everyone!

Here is what I have planned for January:

Abducted by T.R. Ragan (finished 1/8)
Lame Excuses by Alle Wells (finished 1/31)
Forsaken by Andrew Van Wey (finished 1-2-13)
The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck (finished 1/18)
The Cat Manual by Michael Ray Taylor (finished 1/2/13)
How to Fail: The Self-Hurt Guide by Aaron Goldfarb
Riding the Rap by Elmore Leonard
The Princess Bride (finished 1.22)
Last Stop This Town by David. H Steinberg (finished 1/13)
9. Your choice.
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (finished 1/4)

message 7: by Sheila (last edited Jan 31, 2013 07:22PM) (new)

Here's my January list, subject to change, of course.

9/9, 32 books, 3486 pages

1. Read a book whose title starts with A--Angel Condemned by Mary Stanton--finished 1/25/12.
2. Read a book whose author's name begins with A--Desperate Housedogs by Sparkle Abbey--finished 1/9/13.
3. Read a book about winter--Snow Spiders by Jenny Nimmo--finished 1/17/13.
4. Read a book about felines--Nine Lives Last Forever by Rebecca M. Hale--finished 1/6/13.
5. Read a non-fiction book--The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett--finished 1/19/13.
6. Read a book about a crime--How to Moon a Cat by Rebecca M. Hale--finished 1/12/13.
7. Read a book made into a movie--To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway--finished 1/22/13
8. Read a book on the first page of your Goodreads to-read list--Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris--finished 1/7/13.
9. Your choice--Last Wool and Testament by Molly MacRae--finished 1/16/13.

Bonus:
Christmas Cuckold by Secret Narrative--finished 1/10/13
Christmas Party Pleasures by K R Gray--finished 1/12/13
Christmas with the Professor by Sue Lyndon--finished 1/12/13
Turn Up the Heat by Randi Alexander--finished 1/17/13
Lips of Velvet by Virginia Nelson--finished 1/19/13
The Girl in the Painting b Anne Brookes-finished 1/19/13
Inside Lady Miranda by Sahara Kelly--finished 1/19/13
Let's Get Naked by Marianne LaCroix--finished 1/19/13
Taking Control by Virginia Nelson--finished 1/21/13
Adult Fun at the Mall by Valerie J. Aurora--finished 1/21/13
Miss Beatrice's Bottom by Sahara Kelly--finished 1/21/13
Trail of Hearts by Kate Richards--finished 1/23/13
The Heidelberg Effect by Susan Kiernan-Lewish--finished 1/26/13
Heavenly Touch by Ana Star--finished 1/28/13
How to Tail a Cat by Rebecca M. Hale--finished 1/29/13
The S & M Club by Lindy S. Hudis--finished 1/30/13
Outta My Crease by Elizabeth Jewell--finished 1/30/13
Lying with Louisa by Sahara Kelly--finished 1/31/13
Felicity Jones by Dee Dawning--finished 1/31/13
A Bucket List Tattoo by Adriana Kraft--finished 1/31/13
Strapless by Honoria Ravena--finished 1/31/13
Reunion by Eve Masters--finished 1/31/13
Lily in Bloom by Marie-Elise Bessett--finished 1/31/13

message 8: by Ania (last edited Jan 27, 2013 11:36AM) (new)

Ania (radosiewka) 1. Read a book whose title starts with A.
6. Read a book about a crime. Sherlock: The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes finished 8.01.2013
9. Your choice. The Way of Shadowsby Brent Weeks. Finished 12.01.2013 I want to re-read again whole trilogy because I got novella Perfect Shadow Cień doskonały to review
Lately finished The Way of Shadows The Way of Shadows and Shadow's Edge

I'll try to not to add one book for more than one category:) Sheila I see that you've read the first book in the series written by Rebecca M. Hale. Are cats playing huge role in the book or not? Maybe I'll read it because I've already read all books about cats which are in my house:)

Btw. sorry for my English - not my native language and I rather listen to it or read in English rather than write something:)

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Anna wrote: "1. Read a book whose title starts with A.
6. Read a book abo..."

How to Wash a Cat was different than I expected. People said it was humorous which I did not find it to be. It was a good mystery. The cats are in the story and point the way at times to clues but they do not necessarily solve the crimes. I'm reading Nine Lives Last Forever now. I am enjoying it but again the cats are involved but she doesn't see it yet. This is a series you have to read in order. It's not one where you could start anywhere. There is something that happens at the end of book 1 you have to know before reading the next book. I have to admit I never saw it coming. I was shocked when I discovered it.

Other cat series I've read is A Cat in the Stacks series by Miranda James. I enjoy that series and Diesel, the cat, is very involved in that series. There are others but, of course, I cannot think of them right now.

message 10: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 17 comments I have been on a mission lately to read and clear out a bunch of free ebooks I have on my Kindle. Most of them are not anything too special, but something about "Forsaken" by Andrew Van Wey.

Definitely a creepy book. Held my attention all the way to the end though. I literally couldn't put it down when I hit 90%. Not many books can do that for me.

I'm having a hard time trying to explain this book in my own words. I think the Goodreads summary makes it sound really cheesy, but here it is:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

Well written, thought provoking and creepy as hell.

message 11: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 17 comments And on the other end of the spectrum we have "The Cat Manual". by Michael Ray Taylor.

Not a "for human eyes" book. It's a manual for those fresh out of their kittenhoods on how to behave like a real cat.

Laugh out loud funny.

message 12: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Starting off the new year with a few great books!

"Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage" by Alice Munro
"Wherever I Wind Up" by R.A. Dickey
9. Your choice.

message 13: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Listened to the audio book ""Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage" by Alice Munro while camping in the San Diego area. Another very good collection of short stories written by Alice Munro. I have really become a huge fan of hers - I think I've shocked my wife because I enjoy her writing so much.

Now reading "Wherever I Wind Up" by R.A. Dickey. This was a wonderful Christmas gift from my youngest daughter and her girlfriend. Being a baseball fan and having to wait until spring for the season to start, what a good book to read during the Winter season.

message 14: by Marggret (new)

Marggret Leach | 4 comments Just finished #1 A Discovery of Witches and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ok, now to finish #5. I will tell you how it is once I'm done as I have already started it and will most likely finish it tomorrow.

message 15: by April (last edited Jan 26, 2013 06:33PM) (new)

April Renee (aprilina) Finally got my list all written out & planned!

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

The Shining by Stephen King

Into the Wild by Erin Hunter

Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill

Fade to Blonde by Max Phillips

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

9. Your choice.
Divergent by Veronica Roth

message 16: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 17 comments Last night I finished listening to "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn.

The story of Nick and Amy, and how Amy goes missing on the day of their 5 year wedding anniversary. Told in the voices of each character (past & present) it's a well-written, well performed audiobook.

It's not too often I find a book that I like because I feel like it's written about real people. I like that they fight with each other, have secrets and do stupid things. It feels real. And just when you find yourself on the side of either Amy or Nick, something happens to change your mind.

Overall, a really great read.

message 17: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 17 comments Manda wrote: "Kristy wrote: "I have been on a mission lately to read and clear out a bunch of free ebooks I have on my Kindle. Most of them are not anything too special, but something about "Forsaken" by Andrew ..."

Let me know what you think once you read it, I love hearing other people's opinions on books like this.

message 18: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Jenae wrote: "Kristy wrote: "New Year, new reading list and new friends to compare books with! Hi everyone!

Here is what I have planned for January:

*The Princess Bride is a great book!! I grew up on the movie..."

. . . And the film is wonderful! I think I've watched it at least 100 times, well maybe not that many.

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Jenae wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Here we are at the beginning of a new year. Let's have fun.

Atonement--Ian Mcewan

2. Read a book whose author's name begins with ..."

I loved Water for Elephants. The movie followed the book very well also.

message 20: by Marggret (new)

Marggret Leach | 4 comments Just finished The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou. It was a good book about her life. I think that I like Why the Cage Bird Sings better.

This is item #2 and #5 on the list.

#1 was covered by A Discovery of Witches which was a GREAT book. Think about reading the sequel to the now. That would be #8 and #9 but also thinking of reading The Great Gatsby as that is made into a movie and would cover # 7. Hmmmm.... So torn. Will have to get both and decided I guess unless anyone has recommendations?

message 21: by Sheila (new)

I read it in high school and it was not a favorite of mine. Of course, now that close to 40 years have passed since I read it, I should probably try it again and see if it is better than I remembered.

message 22: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Manda wrote: "i am reading the call of the wild by jack london. what a sad sad book - the whole thing (I'm half way through) feels as if there simply cannot be a happy ending. has anyone else read this?"

Read it in high school and yes it is sad and depressing. But what writing! Incredible writing - Right there with John Steinbeck.

message 23: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments 1. Read a book whose title starts with A.

"Tropic of Night" by Michael Gruber

9. Your choice.

message 24: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Now reading "Tropic of Night" by Michael Gruber, Book #1 of the Det. Jimmy Paz series.

message 25: by Sheila (new)

Just finished David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. I think this was his funniest book for me. I could relate to some of it. I laughed out loud on some of it.

message 26: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Sheila wrote: "Just finished David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. I think this was his funniest book for me. I could relate to some of it. I laughed out loud on some of it."

I've read several of his books and all are hilarious!

message 27: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Just finished David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. I think this was his funniest book for me. I could relate to some of it. I laughed out loud on some of it."

I've read several..."

His Santaland Diaries is the best. I had the opportunity to hear him read his work. He's hysterical. When he does a book signing he stays until every book is signed plus he bases his signature on the conversation you have with him before he signs your book. I like him.

message 28: by Kelly (last edited Jan 15, 2013 05:47AM) (new)

Kelly (kelly_kpb) | 1 comments Can you count the same book for multiple entries? I'm hoping to get this done, but I get derailed by bubble gum fiction that has the promise of being done in 48 hours. Here's what I am going to try to do to meet the challenge:

I'm rereading Anne of Green Gables Done!

I made a comment today that I need to read more of the classics that never got read. So I'm going to try to get Austen's Sense and Sensibility done this month.

Any suggestions? I can't think of one off the top of my head. I thought I found one, called To Find a Mountain, so I read that. Only it wasn't really about winter. But we're going to count it anyway!

I am so not a cat person. How about Life of Pi.

A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master"

Hey I've done this one! Protector (Crossfire) by Gennita Low. Child trafficking.

This is where I want two to count (see #2). Maybe I'll reread a Harry Potter book to give me a break from heavier fiction.

Does this mean I should finally finish Water for Elephants?

9. Your choice.
Not sure yet, but rest assured this will be a piece of brain fluff. Perfect for You by Kate Perry

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Kelly wrote: "Can you count the same book for multiple entries? I'm hoping to get this done, but I get derailed by bubble gum fiction that has the promise of being done in 48 hours. Here's what I am going to t..."

Fluff works as well as any other book. The main thing is to enjoy reading and to read. It doesn't matter if you read to the themes. It's just something fun to do. For winter, I'm reading Snow Spiders which I know has nothing to do with winter but it has snow in the title. We are real loose here as to what qualifies. Just have fun!

message 30: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Anyone had trouble getting on Goodreads this morning?

message 31: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "Anyone had trouble getting on Goodreads this morning?"

Didn't try this morning but no problems tonight so far.

message 32: by Marggret (new)

Marggret Leach | 4 comments Sheila wrote: "Just finished David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. I think this was his funniest book for me. I could relate to some of it. I laughed out loud on some of it."

I really liked this book as well. SO Funny.

message 33: by Chuck (new)

9. Your choice.
"The Marines of Autumn" by James Brady

message 34: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Finished "Tropic of Night" by Michael Gruber and just started reading "The Marines of Autumn" by James Brady.

"War has been the inspiration of such great novels as The Red Badge of Courage and A Farewell to Arms, and daring feats of courage and tragic mistakes have been the foundation for such classic works. Now, for the first time ever, the Korean War has a novel that captures that courage and sacrifice.

When Captain Thomas Verity, USMC, is called back to action, he must leave his Georgetown home, career, and young daughter and rush to Korea to monitor Chinese radio transmissions. At first acting in an advisory role, he is abruptly thrust into MacArthur's last daring and disastrous foray-the Chosin Reservoir campaign-and then its desperate retreat."

message 35: by Sheila (new)

If you are looking for a book for a child 8 and up, I recommend The Snow Spider. It's the first book of The Magician Trilogy by Jenny Nimmo. I sat a read it in one sitting. I was drawn in from the beginning. Gwyn has to learn if he is a magician. He also has to learn how to make choices. Some are not the best choice but he learns how to fix his errors. I just ordered the second and third books of the series today.

message 36: by Chuck (new)

9. Your choice.
"The Twelve" by Justin Cronin

message 37: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments This morning I was up at 4:30AM to finish reading "The Marines of Autumn." This is a historical fiction work set during the Korean War. Excellent read, 4/5 stars!

Now reading "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin, Book 2 of "The Passage" trilogy.

"At the end of The Passage, the great viral plague had left a small group of survivors clinging to life amidst a world transformed into a nightmare. In the second volume of this epic trilogy, this same group of survivors, led by the mysterious, charismatic Amy, go on the attack, leading an insurrection against the virals: the first offensives of the Second Viral War.

To do this, they must infiltrate a dozen hives, each presided over by one of the original Twelve. Their secret weapon: Alicia, transformed at the end of book one into a half human, half viral—but whose side, in the end, is she really on?"

message 38: by Kristy (last edited Jan 19, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Kristy | 17 comments I finished listening to "The Winter of our Discontent" by John Steinbeck. I didn't like it, at all. But I'm not sure if it's because I listened to it and didn't read it (sometimes that can make all the difference in the world). Or if it was because I'm pretty sure that my audio book skipped and I feel like I missed parts
of the story.

This is the first audiobook I have ever "returned" for a new one.

I wish I would have read it. :(

message 39: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "This morning I was up at 4:30AM to finish reading "The Marines of Autumn." This is a historical fiction work set during the Korean War. Excellent read, 4/5 stars!

Now reading "The Twelve" by Justi..."

Let me know how you like The Twelve. I got it but have yet to read Passages.

message 40: by Sheila (new)

Kristy wrote: "I finished listening to "The Winter of our Discontent" by John Steinbeck. I didn't like it, at all. But I'm not sure if it's because I listened to it and didn't read it (sometimes that can make all..."

You can always read it in the future.

message 41: by Sheila (new)

I just finished The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and the World of Literary Obession by Allison Hoover Bartlett. It was a fascinating look into the life of John Gilkey who stole rare books and how he did it. He did not do it for profit but owning these books meant he was a man of means and refinement. Ken Sanders, a rare book dealer, was determined to bring him down. Sanders was the security chief of ABAA (a rare book dealer professional association.) Very interesting read. It read like a novel.

message 42: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Sheila wrote: "Chuck wrote: "This morning I was up at 4:30AM to finish reading "The Marines of Autumn." This is a historical fiction work set during the Korean War. Excellent read, 4/5 stars!

Now reading "The Tw..."

Hi Sheila - You need to read "The Passage" first then "The Twelve." There will be a final book to the trilogy sometime in the near future . . . Can hardly wait!

message 43: by Sheila (new)

I just finished To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway. I liked the movie better but the book and the movie are totally different. Some of the characters in the book had actors portray them that was perfect casting. I was surprised that I liked it though. I think if you use a book to make a movie you should stay true to the movie.

message 44: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Sheila wrote: "I just finished To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway. I liked the movie better but the book and the movie are totally different. Some of the characters in the book had actors portray them tha..."

I agree with you 100%!

message 45: by Chuck (new)

9. Your choice.
"The Twelve" by Justin Cronin
"City of Refuge" by Tom Piazza

message 46: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 132 comments Now reading "City of Refuge" by Tom Piazza - Finally was able to get a copy from the library.

"In the heat of late summer, two New Orleans families--one black and one white--confront a storm that will change the course of their lives.

SJ Williams, a carpenter and widower, lives and works in the Lower Ninth Ward, the community where he was born and raised. His sister, Lucy, is a soulful mess, and SJ has been trying to keep her son, Wesley, out of trouble. Across town, Craig Donaldson, a Midwestern transplant and the editor of the city's alternative paper, faces deepening cracks in his own family. New Orleans' music and culture have been Craig's passion, but his wife, Alice, has never felt comfortable in the city. The arrival of their two children has inflamed their arguments about the wisdom of raising a family there.

When the news comes of a gathering hurricane--named Katrina--the two families make their own very different plans to weather the storm. The Donaldsons join the long evacuation convoy north, across Lake Pontchartrain and out of the city. SJ boards up his windows and brings Lucy to his house, where they wait it out together, while Wesley stays with a friend in another part of town.

But the long night of wind and rain is only the beginning--and when the levees give way and the flood waters come, the fate of each family changes forever. The Williamses are scattered--first to the Convention Center and the sweltering Superdome, and then far beyond city and state lines, where they struggle to reconnect with one another. The Donaldsons, stranded and anxious themselves, find shelter first in Mississippi, then in Chicago, as Craig faces an impossible choice between the city he loves and the family he had hoped to raise there."

message 47: by Janice (new)

Janice (seejanread) I am so excited to finish this challenge. My book choices ranged from children's picture books to YA to Adult to Classics. While they were not all my favorites, I was so pleased with all of my choices

1. Read a book whose title starts with A. - "Amy & Roger's Epic Detour" by: Morgan Matson

2. Read a book whose author's name begins with A. - "Shattered (The Amanda Project #3)" by: Amanda Valentino

3. Read a book about winter. - "Winter Town" by: Stephen Emond

4. Read a book about felines. - "Chester," "Chester's Back" and "Chester's Masterpiece" by: Melanie Watt

5. Read a non-fiction book. - "The Incredible Life of Balto," "Strong Man: The Story of Charles Atlas," "Pop! The Invention of Bubble Gum" and "Aliens are Coming: The True Account of the 1938 War of the Worlds Broadcast" all by: Meghan McCarthy

6. Read a book about a crime. - "The Name of the Star" by: Maureen Johnson

7. Read a book made into a movie. - "The Age of Innocence" by: Edith Wharton

8. Read a book on the first page of your Goodreads to-read list. - "Pizza, Love and Other Things That Made Me Famous" by: Kathryn Williams

9. Your choice. - "Bared to You" by: Sylvia Day

message 48: by Sheila (new)

Janice wrote: "I am so excited to finish this challenge. My book choices ranged from children's picture books to YA to Adult to Classics. While they were not all my favorites, I was so pleased with all of my choi..."

How was Amy and Roger's Epic Detour? Bared to You? I have them on my shelves. Congratulations on The Age of Innocence. I could not get through it.

message 49: by Janice (new)

Janice (seejanread) I really enjoyed Amy & Roger. It had been sitting on my to-read shelf forever and I kept postpoing reading it. Once I started, I was so angry with myself for putting it off for so long. The story is deeper than your typical YA book, but it also has all the fun things I love about reading YA.

Bared to You was the mindless reading that I chose after (barely) getting through Age of Innocence. It was like a Fifty Shades redux, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Age of Innocence - Not a Fan!

message 50: by Sheila (new)

Janice wrote: "I really enjoyed Amy & Roger. It had been sitting on my to-read shelf forever and I kept postpoing reading it. Once I started, I was so angry with myself for putting it off for so long. The story i..."

You did better than me. At least you finished Age of Innocence.

« previous 1