Read by Theme discussion

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1)
Book Discussions > The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jayme This quiet, unassuming story was the perfect book to end 2012. In The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry Harold Fry decides to walk across England to visit a dying friend. He believes that if he makes this walk it will be his friend’s salvation. What he doesn’t realize is that the life he’s saving is his own. As he walks he remembers the events that not only broke his heart, but that also brought him great joy. But his greatest redemption will not be in forgiving others, but in having the courage to forgive himself. This is one of my top ten reads of 2012. A simply wonderful book.

message 2: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB Jayme wrote: "This quiet, unassuming story was the perfect book to end 2012. In The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry Harold Fry decides to walk across England to visit a dying friend. He believes that if he ma..."

I loved it, too. One of my very favorite reads of the year.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It is a lovely book, and in my top five of 2012. It would be perfect if the author had left Harold walking on his own. Those who joined him messed up the simplicity of the story and gave it a bit of a Forrest Gump feel to me.

Jayme I agree about the Forrest Gump feel during that section. I think maybe the author was trying to show that no matter the good intentions, and not so good, of others, we still have to find and walk our path alone.

message 5: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB Jayme wrote: "I agree about the Forrest Gump feel during that section. I think maybe the author was trying to show that no matter the good intentions, and not so good, of others, we still have to find and walk o..."

My feeling about it was the same. Though having it happen is just about what would happen in today's world ... everyone thinks they need to join in or show up at things they hear about. Sometimes I listen to things like this on the news and wonder why in the world people feel this need to live others lives. It was a bit distracting in the book, but it did have meaning.