Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

ARCHIVES > Thoughts about books: TILT

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 4 comments I am READ 180 teacher for middle school. I checked out some books for the Christmas break. I came across one called Tilt by Ellen Hopkins. I got through the first few pages and realized I am not sure this is appropriate for all grade levels. I know the kids know these things, but felt it was a little detailed about certain situations. I am going to tell the librarian that it needs to be on the Young Adult bookshelf for 8th graders for sure. I am sure some of my 8th graders would read it due to the cussing and all, but wonder if I am censoring books for others. Just so hard to decide what is appropriate for middle school and what is not.

message 2: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Maley My daughter won't let my grandson (6th grade) read my middle grader... set in the west, she knows there's a scene showing a sporting house.

message 3: by Brenda (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:47PM) (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 27 comments It is not censoring rather it is collection development and recommended reading level. It would be censorship if you wanted the book completely removed from the library so no one had access or to severely limit the access to a certain book. What you are saying is that IDE to the content, this book would be better suited for a slightly older reader which I feel is perfectly fine.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Just a link for quick reference: Tilt.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
Dennis wrote: "My daughter won't let my grandson (6th grade) read my middle grader... set in the west, she knows there's a scene showing a sporting house."

Yeah. The daughter of one of my mom's friends (interestingly, NOT the older generation!) is dubious about mine because of the presence of--gasp!--a tavern in an old west town. Some people are very protective of the kids' innocence. I hope they realize that by the middle grades, the kids are hearing all sorts of stuff on the playground, not to mention TV and the Internet, if they are allowed on those.

message 6: by Leeann (new)

Leeann | 9 comments Melinda wrote: "I am READ 180 teacher for middle school. I checked out some books for the Christmas break. I came across one called Tilt by Ellen Hopkins. I got through the first few pages and realized I am not su..."

I just read the description, and I don't know that I would recommend this for middle grade readers either. The protagonists seem to be all HS age, and it seems that maybe it would be better suited to that market.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
Leeann wrote: "Melinda wrote: "I am READ 180 teacher for middle school. I checked out some books for the Christmas break. I came across one called Tilt by Ellen Hopkins. I got through the first few pages and real..."

What she said.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I read the description as well and it seems like it is dealing with issues better suited to older teens, not middle grade.

I don't think recommending that the recommended reading age for the book be raised is censuring the book since it will still be available to kids to check out. That is why they have the rating system isn't it? So kids are reading subjects within there age level?