75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4111 comments Mod
We hope that all new members feel welcome to join this great group! Please take a minute to introduce yourself and let us know if you have any questions.

Please note that although out goal is 75 books it is not required.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Andrea :)

message 2: by Squirrel (new)

Squirrel (squirrelysquirrel) Hi (and happy new year's!), I'm Squirrel. First introduction post for this year, oh man. I'm new to Goodreads and wanted to join some reading challenges. For the first time in a while, I didn't put aside much time to read last year, so I'm hoping that this will help me fix that for this year.

About myself, I'm an engineering undergrad who enjoys science fiction, literary fiction, classics (both traditional literary classics and Classics of the referring-to-classical-civilization type), fantasy, philosophy, and nonfiction (primarily science, history, linguistics). I'm trying to achieve greater breadth in my reading genres this year, however.

message 3: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 855 comments When can we start our 2013 Challenge for 75 books please :D

message 4: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Squirrel, welcome to our little group! Looks like you do a wide variety of reading! I'll be excited to see what you get going on. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Fiona, I'm sure you got it figured out already, but the threads are up!

message 5: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick | 102 comments Hello and Happy New Year to all!

Joining to challenge myself, as I read 66 books. And it was tough for me, so I am hoping to trend higher this year with a stretch goal of 75.

Happy Reading!

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera Hi! I am happy to be a part of this group. I usually start lower with 65 books, but I've been able to make 75+ the last two years so I am trying to make it 3 in a row.

I look forward to getting to know you all and to sharing our favorite reads.

Andrea is an awesome mod, so I know that I will enjoy myself here.

message 7: by Hedda (last edited Jan 05, 2013 09:04AM) (new)

Hedda Hi, my alias is Hedda Gabler. I love to read. I do believe the old adage that Knowledge is Power -- in a good way. I like to challenge myself. I purposely make myself read genres and topics that I might not normally pick up. How can I have an informed opinion on anything if I don't educate myself about the material, whether fact or fiction?

Anyway, I've been here for a few years, but just have a handful of my books in my library. I'm working on that. I've kept a book journal since 1995, so I'll be adding my books read as I have the time. I look forward to reading everyone's lists to add to my own ever-growing pile of books I will never finish in my lifetime!

I take it I start my own thread for my books?

message 8: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1456 comments Looks like you got it figured out, Hedda. Welcome!

message 9: by Hedda (new)

Hedda Thanks Charleen. I'm off to the races. :-)

message 10: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hedda, welcome to our group! Did you pick that name based on the play or something else? Either way I'm glad you found us and I hope you make yourself at home!

message 11: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Sera, it is so good to see you over here too! This is a nice group of people and they read a wide range of books. I think you will like this group :)

message 12: by Hedda (last edited Jan 05, 2013 06:59PM) (new)

Hedda Andrea thank you for the welcome and, yes, it is from the play. We had to read it in high school and my English teacher was a really amazing teacher. One of those educators a student looks back on with the utmost respect.

This guy challenged us and thought we were brilliant. He didn't teach down to us -- he made us reach up.

Bravo to all the good teachers out there!

message 13: by Sera (new)

Sera Andrea wrote: "Sera, it is so good to see you over here too! This is a nice group of people and they read a wide range of books. I think you will like this group :)"

I have a good feeling that I will, too!

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Hello to everyone! I stumbled into this group this morning and thought I'd introduce myself. I came over from the 50 books group (which I adore the people of and am moderating in still) because I seem to reach the 50 goal fairly easily but 100 seems a bit daunting!

Some of my favorite books and people have come from chatting and browsing people's lists, I'm hoping it will be the same here! :)

message 15: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1456 comments Welcome, Tiffani. We're a pretty laid back group with lots of varied reading interests represented, so I'm sure you'll have NO trouble finding titles to add to your TBR!

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Thank you, Charleen! Happy to be here and to start lurking around everyone's lists! ;)

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 259 comments Happy 2013 everyone! I managed 83 last year's goal, so I beat it by a few, setting a goal of 85 this year, but not till it hit 75, LOL. One reachable goal at a time. I am a die hard bookaholic, I cannot seem to go into a bookstore, second hand book store, thrift shop, antique store, estate sale, etc without coming home with SOMETHING. My oldest books are a few pre 1900 ones. Just went into the local Salvation Army thrift store yesterday & came home with this stack: Wuthering Heights, Of Human Bondage, The Turn of the Screw, Portrait of a Lady, Barchester Towers, Ivanhoe, & a book on Celtic mysteries, all for under $5 TOTAL!!!!

message 18: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 274 comments Welcome Karen to our wonderful group.

message 19: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

A big warm welcome to Tima, Lisa, and Karen! I apologize for not welcoming you sooner. I've been tied up at work and it has caused me to get really behind here! Please let me know if you have any questions. We have a great group here so I hope you like it too!