David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Archives (Book of the Month) > January 2013 BOTM-Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tina (frogluv3r) | 458 comments Discussion for January BOTM

Andrea Diaz (literarygetaway) | 17 comments I recently read this book so I'm excited to talk about it with everyone :)

message 3: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Me too, me too!! But I'll wait and give everyone a little while to read it first :)

Lollie (lolliemonsta) I just read this over christmas... maybe I should have waited!
At least it will still be fresh in my mind and I can get in on the discussions :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
I listened to this one a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the discussion once everyone else has read. :-)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I own this book, will try to read it this month!

message 7: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay!! Who else is reading?

message 8: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Carroll (Novel Words by Jessica) | 3 comments Me, Me, Me!!

Gabriela | 221 comments Someone just loaned this book to me! Cool...

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina (frogluv3r) | 458 comments I have to re-read it because I read it quite a while ago.

message 11: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

C'mon people, more of you have GOT to read this book. So good!

Gabriela | 221 comments I started the book tonight and so far I am finding myself getting sucked in...we will see.

message 13: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments David wrote: "C'mon people, more of you have GOT to read this book. So good!"

I really want to read it, but I have to finish my current book and two reviews books first :(

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lolita wrote: "David wrote: "C'mon people, more of you have GOT to read this book. So good!"

I really want to read it, but I have to finish my current book and two reviews books first :("

You can do it! LOL if you can't fit it in this month, no big deal, you can still post your comments as we'd love to hear them :)

message 15: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabriela wrote: "I started the book tonight and so far I am finding myself getting sucked in...we will see."

Yay! I loved the first 30% of the book, it was my favorite part :)

I listened to this book on audio. I thought it was good, but my favorite part was the last 30%. ;-)

message 17: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol! I liked that bit too :) The middle dragged a little for me but overall an awesome read!

I think I was brushing my teeth while listening and when everything came together, I think I dropped my toothbrush! I just stood there staring at the device. I sure did not see that coming! I love those types of surprises!

Sherrie | 1212 comments Daughter of Smoke and Bone was amazing! I read it last year and thought it was incredibly well written. The author has such a beautiful writing style.

message 20: by Bee (last edited Jan 06, 2013 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee (nbeewrites) Although I loved this book, I can't get myself to read the second one. Maybe because of some reviews of it I read. They sound so depressing. xD And there probably are to many books in the angelgenre (and the vampire genre too). There are very few books in those genres I actually like because most of them are the same and the heroines in those books are sooo annoying in most of them. (Not this one. Karou is badass.) xD The most badass heroine I know so far is Alexa from the Alexa Montgomery Saga from H.D. Gordon. She is awesome! Not a whining, insecure, annoying girl like so many others are. xD
That counts for the dystopian genre as well. That's why I was so surprised that I loved The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers, #1) by David Estes lol.

message 21: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen wrote: "I think I was brushing my teeth while listening and when everything came together, I think I dropped my toothbrush! I just stood there staring at the device. I sure did not see that coming! I lo..."

Hahaha!

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sherrie wrote: "Daughter of Smoke and Bone was amazing! I read it last year and thought it was incredibly well written. The author has such a beautiful writing style."

Completely agree :)

message 23: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bieke wrote: "Although I loved this book, I can't get myself to read the second one. Maybe because of some reviews of it I read. They sound so depressing. xD And there probably are to many books in the angelgenr..."

I want to read the second one, but I haven't read any reviews for it :) And thanks for the shout out on The Moon Dwellers and for HD Gordon's Alexa series!

message 24: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee (nbeewrites) David wrote: "Bieke wrote: "Although I loved this book, I can't get myself to read the second one. Maybe because of some reviews of it I read. They sound so depressing. xD And there probably are to many books in..."

I just finished the last book in the Alexa series yesterday and I really really REALLY love H.D.'s writing. She is so good! If you haven't read her books, do it now!

Gabriela | 221 comments My friend asked for her book back :( I think I will see I can borrow it from the library.

message 26: by Gabriela (last edited Jan 07, 2013 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabriela | 221 comments As it turns out the library has no copies available to check out at this time, funny thing it says there are 22 copies! :( But I found the book at a really GOOD price! It should be here by the 11th!

message 27: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL yay!! I'm glad you got one anyway and with plenty of time to join our group read :) Can't wait to see what you think!

message 28: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I started this yesterday evening. So far it's good, but I haven't read that much yet :P

Ashley Stoyanoff (ashley_stoyanoff) | 35 comments I just started it and so far I don't want to put it down. It's great!

message 30: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I think I am halfway through this book at the moment. I really enjoy it. I love the writing style and whil normally it always takes me some time to get used to third person perspective, here it felt naturally. the story and world are both very interesting. And I love the main character, she really is amazing.

message 31: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Wow this book was really good, read my review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 32: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Awesome review, so glad you liked it!!

message 33: by Gabriela (last edited Jan 15, 2013 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabriela | 221 comments I am still waiting for my book :(

message 34: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aww hope you get it soon!

message 35: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments David wrote: "Awesome review, so glad you liked it!!"

message 36: by Gabriela (last edited Jan 17, 2013 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabriela | 221 comments I got my book in the mail!! :D
But now I can't read the books I was reading on my Kindle, it is frozen again:(

Tracy | 823 comments I am almost finished with this one to and I am really liking it. I went to the library tonight and got the next one.

message 38: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy wrote: "I am almost finished with this one to and I am really liking it. I went to the library tonight and got the next one."

Awesome!! The next one might end up being the book of the month for next month! If it gets enough votes that is :)

message 39: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabriela wrote: "I got my book in the mail!! :D
But now I can't read the books I was reading on my Kindle, it is frozen again:("

Yay can't wait to hear what you think!!

Aww sorry about your Kindle, technology can be frustrating, can't beat good ol paperbacks :)

Tracy | 823 comments David wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I am almost finished with this one to and I am really liking it. I went to the library tonight and got the next one."

Awesome!! The next one might end up being the book of the month ..."

Good, well maybe good David. The ending was not a desirable one so I am anxious to get to the second one. Guess I could wait though since patience is a virtue and delayed gratification is whatever, whatever. Yeah, I can wait.

message 41: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol you don't have to wait though unless you really want to :) You'll still be welcome to comment and add your thoughts!! But it would be fun to read along with you, I'll definitely be reading!

Tracy | 823 comments When does the poll go up David?

message 43: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

We're still taking nominations for a few more days and then the poll will be up for almost a week :) The BOTM should be announced a couple days before the end of January

Tracy | 823 comments David wrote: "We're still taking nominations for a few more days and then the poll will be up for almost a week :) The BOTM should be announced a couple days before the end of January"

Yeah! Hey, are you guys still doing the chapter a day? I don't remember seeing it or was that just for a little while.

I think I need to do that with 11/22/63 by Stephen King and maybe I can finish it by the end of the year.

message 45: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

We haven't started a chapter a day program in this group yet although we should at some point. We have done a couple ad hoc chapter a day reads for my books as they've been released, back when this was only my fan group and not a full fledged YA group :) We're trying to take things slow at the moment so we can keep all the current program's going, but we'll definitely consider instituting a chapter a day at some point as we grow :)

Tracy | 823 comments Cool, I really enjoy those but don't get to participate in them often. Either because I have already read the book or can't get it in time.

message 47: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I know what you mean, I'm sort of the same but I'm really trying to read every book that comes up in the group this year. That's my goal anyway, so far I'm 2/2 in 2013! I read Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor and of course I wrote The Sun Dwellers (The Dwellers #3) by David Estes so I'm off to a good start for January LOL

Tracy | 823 comments That sounds like an interesting challenge David.

message 49: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks :) It's sort of my own personal reading challenge for this year :)

Tracy | 823 comments David wrote: "Thanks :) It's sort of my own personal reading challenge for this year :)"

Good way to get a lot of different genres and new authors read.

« previous 1