David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archive's > Short/long chapters

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments OK, another one. Do you like long chapters (15 pages) or more?

I don't care.
If yes why?
If no, why?

message 2: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I prefer short chapters, so that when it's late and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open, I can easily reach a stopping point.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (crazybakingmom) | 115 comments I think chapters should all break in logical places. That being said, I do not like them to be too long. Shorter is easier to when I need to reach a stopping point.

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
I prefer shorter as well, but it doesn't matter as much if there are chapter breaks. I always appreciate a few chapter breaks within a long chapter to reset things in my mind :)

message 5: by Reving (new)

Reving I love short chapters! I am usually scared of long books, I admit it. But a long book is less scary to me, if it has short chapters. Like Bick's Ashes.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Diaz (literarygetaway) | 17 comments I prefer short chapters Because I like to see that I'm making substantial progress. :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
I don't care. If the story's good, I'm not paying attention to chapters. I'm just flipping pages as fast as I can read them!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 16 comments I prefer short chapters. Dan Brown style.

message 9: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I prefer chapter more on the short side, because then I keep thinking "just another chapter" and end up reading way longer than I intended to. And long chapters are annoying if you have to leave or dinner is ready and then there is nowhere to stop except for in the middle of the story.

message 10: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Karen wrote: "I don't care. If the story's good, I'm not paying attention to chapters. I'm just flipping pages as fast as I can read them!"

I also agree that as long as the story is really good chapter size doens't matter

message 11: by Marla (new)

Marla | 306 comments Lolita wrote: "I prefer chapter more on the short side, because then I keep thinking "just another chapter" and end up reading way longer than I intended to. And long chapters are annoying if you have to leave or..."

I prefer short chapters because I can always finish the chapter and have a good stopping point. I am a huge Patterson fan. But I don't mind long chapters.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) I prefer shorter chapters because I don't like leaving a book mid chapter, and sometimes I'm up until the early hours reading because I'm determined to finish a chapter before I sleep

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Paschal | 54 comments Short chapters all the way. I like to stop reading at the end of a chapter, and when they are short I always convince myself oh just one more it will be quick and next thing I know its an hour later and I am almost finished with the book. It just seems to keep the pace of the book up

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Paschal | 54 comments Marla wrote: "Lolita wrote: "I prefer chapter more on the short side, because then I keep thinking "just another chapter" and end up reading way longer than I intended to. And long chapters are annoying if you h..."

Patterson was my first introduction to short chapters, and I decided I really liked that style

message 15: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (katrinawelsh_) It really doesn't matter to me. Like everything in fiction, chapter lengths serve a purpose to the story. But I don't like it if there are too many short chapter after the other. It'll just end up losing its effect and I'll be pissed

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I prefer short chapters because I feel more accomplished when finishing chapters and, as others have said, it makes it easier to find a stopping point. Although if the book is good and I don't have anywhere to go then I like long chapters. Honestly though, a book's chapter length isn't going to determine whether or not I like it.

message 17: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 60 comments Short chapters for me, because I like having regular stopping points (I hate having to stop in the middle of a paragraph just because my lunch break is over or it's time to step out of the bus). But if there are chapter breaks within, it works just like end of chapters for me, so in this case, if said chapters are longer, it doesn't matter.

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Evans | 9 comments I don't necessarily have a preference for either or. My issue is if there is a page break every time something dramatic happens. I mean, it's okay here and there but when it is a high-intensity plot it gets annoying. For instance, I am reading a book right now that has a lot of fighting scenes in it. Everytime someone passes out or makes a dramatic entrance...their is a page break. It ends up being distracting.

message 19: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I like shorter chapters or longer ones if they have breaks. I have ADHD so I need some breaks.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris Sorensen (csorensen) | 218 comments Shorter chapters, usually. Usually means the story is tighter and the pace is moving along.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott McCloskey I prefer my chapters be a bit on the shorter side when reading. I find it easier to put a book down at a chapter break rather than in the middle of a page, especially if I need to walk away for awhile and might potentially forget mentally where I was.

Shorter chapters also give the reader a sense of accomplishment. That might sound silly, but it's a psychological thing. There are times when the idea that "wow, I finished X chapters" can attribute to "I must like this book so I'll keep reading it".

Compare current James Patterson books to ones he wrote near the beginning of his career. These days his chapters can be as short as only two or three pages.

message 22: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey I prefer shorter, so I have quick access to a stopping point. Which is why Cassandra Clare (although my FAVORITE author) kills me with her extremely long chapters

message 23: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 171 comments I really enjoy both. It really depends of the storyteller and the feel of the book. If it's an epic fantasy novel, you have to have the extensive chapters so that you feel the length of the journey, ya know. In the same way, I think a lot of contemporary novels make a lot of sense having those shorter, punctuated chapters. It makes the stories move at a different speed and I think they both work well.

message 24: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Short! I have to finish a chapter before I stop reading for the night. If the chapters are short, I think 'oh just one more chapter' and before I know it, I've read another 5.

I had one normal sized book which had a very slow start to it and chapter one was 99 PAGES! It was horrific!