Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Connie F's 2013 50 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments 2011 & 2012 were not good years reading-wise for me (although I think I got in at least 25 in 2011 - 2012 I only read about 6 or 7). I'm hoping that since things have calmed down a little in my life I can again concentrate on and enjoy reading!!!

Happy New Year to everyone & Happy reading in the 2013!!

message 2: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1830 comments Mod
Happy New Year and Happy Reading, Connie!

message 3: by Connie (last edited Jan 11, 2013 12:29PM) (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments 1) A Prayer for Owen Meany A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving ***

I read this book because I loved the movie Simon Birch, which was based on this book. John Irving is a great writer, although he's one of those authors who tends to get a little long in the story, so to speak. Some people really like that, but I prefer a story to move along quickly. The first part of the book was what the movie had adopted and there is more than half the book that was not included in the movie.

This book was written in 1987 and I was surprised by how much Irving said and his protagonist, John complained about the United States government, rings true today.

For the last year and a half I've been in a bit of a reading slump - so I trudged through this book (and it took me several months to finish). I read about half on my kindle (which was a library loan) and then purchased the audio book as my free book from audible.com and finished the book on audio so I could listen to it at work and on my drive home.

This year I am going to mix both audio books and read books. I hate the radio and have about 1/2 hour in the a.m./p.m. on my commutes to/from work. Plus I can listen to the audio at work while doing revisions or entering time. You can now synch audio books with your kindle books so where I stop reading I can pick up on the audio book and vice versa. I'll see how that goes.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Ooh, how interesting that you can now sync audio books with the Kindle! I've been semi-wanting to try audio books but I'm not entirely keen on the idea, a mix might be a nice way to start for me. Thanks for the information!

message 5: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Tiffani - I feel the same way with audio books. But I also found that Audible.com has several free audio books that are classic books I already had on my Kindle like Bram Stoker's Dracula, Frankenstein and a few others. I thought the AudioBooks would be good for those books since I've been saying I was going to read them for years and haven't gotten around to it.

message 6: by Connie (last edited Jan 13, 2013 07:05PM) (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments 2) A Country Called Home A Country Called Home by Kim Barnes ***

I read this book for my book club. It was an o.k. read. It switched between 4 main characters. The story moved along pretty well. There was only one protagonist that I liked, Manny. The book was pretty well written, but the ending was a little ridiculous which kind of took away a little from the good writing throughout the majority of the book. I have a pet peeve for stories that make a woman (or a man) out to be so wonderful that 2 men (or women) just can't get on with their lives.

message 7: by Connie (last edited Jan 22, 2013 05:42PM) (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments 3) The Detroit Electric Scheme The Detroit Electric Scheme by D.E. Johnson ***

This was a pretty good book. I'm from Detroit so I'm always interested in reading books by authors who are not only from Michigan but base their books here. Some times I did feel the book went off base a little. The protagonist was a little hard to like - but his side kick, Wesley, was very likeable. Although together they were a little like the two stooges. It had some of the typical "stupid" decisions made by literary characters who are under suspicion of a crime. But in the end - there is a twist that I didn't even think about until it was revealed.

One interesting fact is that the Detroit Electric Car company was where the protagonist worked. Most people probably wouldn't know that electric cars were even around in 1910. The only way I knew - was that my boss's grandfather owned a car company and when he sold that car company he started working on an electric car called the Hupp-Yeats which was mentioned in the book.

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments 4) The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman ****

The Light Between Oceans
This is a good narrative about human conscience and doing the right thing – if not a little simplistically written. It seems so much of our society wants stories of good and evil, right and wrong and many forget that the reality of life is actually gray. That most bad things are done by good people and many times done with good intentions. This story reveals the consequences of our decisions and the weight of those decisions on our conscience and how those decisions can negatively affect others.

I recommend this book. I liked the premise of the story however, I can’t put my finger on the writing of this author, whether I liked that or not. As I said earlier, it seemed simplistic in its story telling. I guess I just wouldn’t consider this “literary” whatever that is. She’s not of the same cloth as someone like Wally Lamb – but a good plot, nonetheless.