David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archive's > Cover models: Yes or No

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments Not that I am anywhere near this stage, but I was searching different sites for models to use on the cover of my book. Right now, just browsing for fun.

The question is...do you like when they use models? Or do you prefer when they don't and you can use your own imagination?

Does the cover model ever ruin your vision of the characters?

What cover models of what books did you like/not like?

message 2: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
I'm generally against them because I like readers to use their imaginations. If there is a character on the cover, I prefer if you at least can't see their face (facing away from the camera or obscured in some way). But then again, a lot of books have had great success with them. Think Obsidian by JLA :)

message 3: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments David wrote: "I'm generally against them because I like readers to use their imaginations. If there is a character on the cover, I prefer if you at least can't see their face (facing away from the camera or obsc..."

Funny you should mention that particular book. After my friend read it she said she wishes he wasn't on the cover. She thinks the model is good looking, but not how she pictures Daemon and it kind of ruined it for her.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 16 comments I am against them. I like to imagine what is in my head not what the model looks like. Too many don't even come close to the description. No model head shots. i like abstract covers.

message 5: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebekahc) I don't like seeing their faces, although I'm sure they're very aesthetically pleasing. Everyone interprets the look of a character differently but if they're hidden in some way that's all right. Like the Graceling cover for instance :)

message 6: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments Katie, what about half face or a shot of just a body part on the face like just the eyes or nose etc? Or a far away shot w/o being able to see the face?

message 7: by Corrie (new)

Corrie (corrieshatto) I say no =)

There's more freedom in a design that doesn't have a face in it. The book has to be about more than just a boy or a girl or a boy and a girl. What are its themes? Faces usually don't tell us very much about the book at all.

Notice the shift in Uglies' cover designs. And even the new HP covers from Bloomsbury =)

message 8: by Corrie (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

Corrie (corrieshatto) Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

vs.

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Feed by M.T. Anderson

All these books are great (Revolution is one of my favorites). But the last two are far more intriguing.

I guess it all depends on your audience. Who are you trying to reach?

I think this is a good/intriguing/relevant use of a "model": Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1) by Ransom Riggs

How exciting! I love thinking about this kind of stuff. Good luck to you Dvora!

message 9: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments Chloren wrote: "Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

vs.

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Feed by M.T. Anderson

All these books are great (Revolution is one of my favorites..."

It's a Paranormal Romance. Heavy on the romance ;)

message 10: by Corrie (new)

Corrie (corrieshatto) ah okay :) the twilight covers were cool! I mean say what you will about whether or not you like them but the covers stand out. Also the Shiver Trilogy covers! :) and Hush, Hush books. All great paranormal covers :)

message 11: by Beatrice (last edited Dec 30, 2012 10:05PM) (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I'm okay with the cover models, as long as it is related to the story, but some other books use the same picture/cover model for their own book cover. (That's why I'm against it.)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Hhhmmmm... In looking back at my books I've read, most don't have cover models. When I'm browsing a bookshelf at the bookstore, I tend to skip over the ones with cover models. Partial faces seem ok....

message 13: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I do tend to see the characters a certain way when there is a cover model, but if this character matches your own impression I think it;s okay. For example: Brightest Kind of Darkness (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #1) by P.T. Michelle Lucid (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #2) by P.T. Michelle have awesome cover models and they match the description of the character in the book, but if this character wouldn't be on the cover I probably still have another idea of how she would look. I prefer to leave it to my imagination or as said earlier have a cover model, but don't show his or her face. But if you do want your reader to all have approximately the same idea how someone looks I think you can use cover models, because people do shape their image of that person around the cover model picture.

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
These are great discussions by the way, thanks for sharing Dvora!!

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 16 comments part of the face is sometimes okay. I just prefer stories that are bigger than just a character and having a person on the cover makes me think the story will be limited to one persons view of that situation rather than the bigger story

message 16: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments David wrote: "These are great discussions by the way, thanks for sharing Dvora!!"

All for selfish reasons David. LOL glad you like them :)

message 17: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments The picture I have in my mind for my cover is a couple sitting on a blanket in a park at night. BUT the couple is not the focus. The trees and surroundings are. It's a scene in the book. So it won't be just the faces.

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 823 comments David wrote: "I'm generally against them because I like readers to use their imaginations. If there is a character on the cover, I prefer if you at least can't see their face (facing away from the camera or obsc..."

I love those models! They are absolutely beautiful!

message 19: by Katie (last edited Jan 01, 2013 12:36AM) (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 16 comments That could work. Especially if the couple have a Gaussian blur filter over them and said scene is one of impact to the story.

message 20: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Dvora wrote: "The picture I have in my mind for my cover is a couple sitting on a blanket in a park at night. BUT the couple is not the focus. The trees and surroundings are. It's a scene in the book. So it won'..."

I think that would work. I like it when covers use scenes from the book or in some way have a connection to the story. btw do you already have a blurb for your story?

message 21: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments Lolita wrote: "Dvora wrote: "The picture I have in my mind for my cover is a couple sitting on a blanket in a park at night. BUT the couple is not the focus. The trees and surroundings are. It's a scene in the b..."

Wen I wrote the scene, I knew right away I wanted that to be my cover.

message 22: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments No, no blurb yet. Soon hopefully.

message 23: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Dvora wrote: "No, no blurb yet. Soon hopefully."

Got anything you can share with us yet about your story?

message 24: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments Lolita wrote: "Dvora wrote: "No, no blurb yet. Soon hopefully."

Got anything you can share with us yet about your story?"

It's a paranormal romance fantasy novel. Good Angels, good witches. Bad witches and warlocks. Book boyfriends. ;)

Excitement. Fighting. Love. Crazy twists!!! Something different. (I hope) ;)

message 25: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Okay sounds interesting :). Keep me up to date, I would like to read your book when it's published!

message 26: by Dvora (last edited Jan 01, 2013 05:29PM) (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments I forgot that I posted this in a previous post. I don't know how to post the link in here so I'm just copying and pasting my post. :)

I just finished the first draft in my first novel! It is a paranormal romance. Here is just a snippet from the romance part. I hope you like it. :)

The door to the elevator opens. We both step inside and he stands behind me. Gently, he puts his hand over my eyes. "No peeking" he says. I feel a soft velvet cloth replacing his hand. He ties the blindfold around my head. His lips make contact with my shoulder, and he slowly begins to move up my neck. His hands press gently on my waist. My body is getting warmer. My heart beat getting faster.

He turns me around so we are face to face. His arms are wrapped completely around my waist. Our bodies are pressed up against each other. I feel his breath right next to my ear. He speaks in a soft whisper, "Do you trust me?"

message 27: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Dvora wrote: "I forgot that I posted this in a previous post. I don't know how to post the link in here so I'm just copying and pasting my post. :)

I just finished the first draft in my first novel! It is a pa..."

Now I want to read more! (I knew there was a reason I never read snippets or teasers)

message 28: by Eva (new)

Eva King I always thought that the covers with models in them look cheap, I prefer to make my own mind up and imagine them. maybe use the scene but with drawing instead of models, like the sookie stackhouse by Charlaine Harris. Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris

message 29: by Eva (new)

Eva King Crap, that didn't work well Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris
That's better.

message 30: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments So after all this talk, I recently got a cover model!! LOL

The features on his face, especially his eyes are way too good to give up!!! I already have a picture I may use. Not 100% sure yet. Things are still up in the air on how I'm going to do the cover. But he is for sure going to be the one!

message 31: by Eva (new)

Eva King Dvora wrote: "So after all this talk, I recently got a cover model!! LOL

The features on his face, especially his eyes are way too good to give up!!! I already have a picture I may use. Not 100% sure yet. Thing..."

Are yu going to self pub because I've heard that if you are traditionaly publish you have almost no say on the cover, etc

message 32: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (hannahsophialin) That's like saying movies ruin our vision of characters... in my humble opinion of no offense. o-o
Some cover models are creepy. Some are cool.

Even with a cover model, I still have my own picture in my head.

message 34: by Ms Bridget (new)

Ms Bridget (obridget2) Karen wrote: "Even with a cover model, I still have my own picture in my head."

I do too sometimes...

message 35: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I like the cover model if it fits the image in my head. If it doesn't I don't like it. This is hard, because generally I don't like models on the cover because sometimes it really does ruin it for me.

message 36: by Alina (new)

Alina (alinabee) | 22 comments It depends for me, a lot of times the cover model will look nothing like the description of the actual main character and that's pretty annoying so I create my own image in my head when reading. Other times it's spot on and I can keep that image in my head the whole time.

message 37: by Bookbringer (new)

Bookbringer (melaniebookbringer) The cover models can sometimes make the cover amazing, but sometimes it's just ugly. I hate the covers for Uglies, and Sever, where I think it is the model that actually ruined it. =P And I am sooooo tired of covers with girls in prom dresses.

message 38: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I don't mind cover models on my covers. I still picture them how I want to in my head! I like covers that are different though--I really like David's covers because they are original. I also loved these covers, I thought they were done beautifully

Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver Requiem (Delirium, #3) by Lauren Oliver

And I didn't picture Lena exactly like that when I was reading them, although I did picture her with dark hair.

message 39: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Melanie wrote: "The cover models can sometimes make the cover amazing, but sometimes it's just ugly. I hate the covers for Uglies, and Sever, where I think it is the model that actually ruined it. =P And I am sooo..."

I agree, I really didn't like the covers for the Wither series. I'm also tired of the one with the girl in a futuristic outfit walking towards us. Did you ever notice that the Under the Never Sky cover and the second edition cover of Across the Universe was essentially the same thing?

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Just different backgrounds. I like the new covers for Across the Universe much better!

Good catch, Jenny. I also like the new covers so much better!

message 41: by Jen (last edited Jun 12, 2013 08:02PM) (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments David wrote: "I'm generally against them because I like readers to use their imaginations. If there is a character on the cover, I prefer if you at least can't see their face (facing away from the camera or obsc..."

Y'all know I always have a strong opinion, and here it is - I totally and completely agree with David for exactly the same reasons.
For example, Crewel (Crewel World, #1) by Gennifer Albin is a great way to do it right.

Every one of the Chemical Garden books are examples of how to do it terribly wrong.
Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) by Lauren DeStefano Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3) by Lauren DeStefano
- totally ruined these books for me.

I also absolutely hated
Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver Requiem (Delirium, #3) by Lauren Oliver
which is kind of a shame, since
Hana (Delirium, #1.5) by Lauren Oliver Annabel (Delirium, #0.5) by Lauren Oliver were done nicely. Also of note: Delirium was initially done with the title as a cut-out, revealing just glimpses of a girl's face underneath. You couldn't really tell what was under the letters unless you really looked. Apparently Lauren Oliver really liked it.

On the other hand, once in awhile cover models are done incredibly well. Examples:
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare

Considering the fact that covers these days are a big selling point for the book, it would be nice if more thought was given to the idea that it is a book whose characters live in our imaginations and are not visual, like a movie.

message 42: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I love the cover for Crewel! I also really love the covers for Jodi Meadow's books! They are of a face, but she has a mask in each one, so you can still use your own imagination!

Incarnate (Newsoul, #1) by Jodi Meadows Asunder (Newsoul, #2) by Jodi Meadows Infinite (Newsoul, #3) by Jodi Meadows

Jen wrote: "David wrote: "I'm generally against them because I like readers to use their imaginations. If there is a character on the cover, I prefer if you at least can't see their face (facing away from the ..."

I completely agree with you Jen.

Jenny wrote: "I love the cover for Crewel! I also really love the covers for Jodi Meadow's books! They are of a face, but she has a mask in each one, so you can still use your own imagination!

[bookcover:Inca..."

Yup, those ARE pretty because of the colors!

I liked these Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor

And these covers turned me off to the series the first time I picked them up a year or so ago... I didn't read them then. Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant Hunger (Gone, #2) by Michael Grant Lies (Gone, #3) by Michael Grant Plague (Gone, #4) by Michael Grant

message 47: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Yes, I really liked those, too, Karen! I like the mask idea!

message 48: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Jun 12, 2013 09:33AM) (new)

Karen wrote: "And these covers turned me off to the series the first time I picked them up a year or so ago... I didn't read them then.Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael GrantHunger (Gone, #2) by Michael GrantLies (Gone, #3) by Michael Grant..."

Yeah, I don't really like these covers, either. Lies was okay, I think because of the lighting. Fear (Gone, #5) by Michael Grant Light (Gone, #6) by Michael Grant aren't any better.

I love this cover Solstice by P.J. Hoover . Looking at just the backs of the cover models works for me. Also Partials (Partials, #1) by Dan Wells Fragments (Partials, #2) by Dan Wells

message 49: by Jen (last edited Jun 12, 2013 02:48PM) (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Jenny wrote: "Karen wrote: "And these covers turned me off to the series the first time I picked them up a year or so ago... I didn't read them then."

I'm ok with the Partials books as well -- and (this makes me laugh) who could argue with this one?

Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2) by Moira Young

message 50: by Gabby (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:37PM) (new)

Gabby I actually have to disagree with most of you!! I love models on book covers. It's because I have a great imagination that I love them. I imagine the character (TOTALLY different from what they are meant to look like. At moment, I am imagining the character with green, brown AND grey hair AND she's only in primary school is there something wrong with me?)) So sometimes I like to see what it's MEANT to be, so I can Imagine them the right way, lol. And plus, people are pretty.

Some covers I think are nicely Done:

Alice in Zombieland (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa The Second Sign by Elizabeth Arroyo Born Of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1) by Teri Brown The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass

« previous 1