The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > Episode 54: Books You Take On Your Travels

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) I enjoyed this discussion because I love to travel and I love to read!

Like Simon, I always overestimate how many books to bring on a trip - my greatest fear is to run out of reading material - ha ha. We are away now, visiting my father-in-law for the holidays, and I packed 3 books then thought, "But what if we get stuck in an airport for hours and I finish these??" and stuck an extra one in my bag!

And I love to theme-read while traveling. Each summer, we take a 3-week road trip across the US, and I love to read a road trip novel while we travel! In past years, I enjoyed Breakfast with Buddha and Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. I don't always plan well enough to read a book set where I am traveling, but I do enjoy that.

Sue

message 2: by Tasha (new)

Tasha When I was in New Orleans this past year I found a historical fiction book in a local bookshop which was set in the town. It was a lot of fun reading a book with the setting in which I was traveling. It was my first traveling theme-read and I definitely plan on doing it again if the situation arises.

This was the book I read while in New Orleans:

A Free Man of Color

Oh, and when I travel I always pack my Kindle and a real book...

message 3: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) I especially love reading books set in New Orleans, Tasha, because we used to live there. I hadn't heard of this one yet - will have to look for it!

message 4: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani (tiffanipassportbooks) | 13 comments I always worry about running out of books to read but also over packing, so I often use travel time as a time to tackle really long books. That way I can bring fewer books but know they will likely last me through the trip. And if they don't, well I love visiting bookshops in cities I haven't been to before.

message 5: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i try to take one book with me and then go to the local library to check out more (i typically am visiting family, so i use their card). i try to pack reads that are easy and quick.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 92 comments I always take a couple of real books and my kindle. I usually end up buying books, too.

message 7: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 135 comments When I was a child we used to go on 6 week long holidays and I never had enough books.
Once when camping in a country where the TV programs were in a language I didn't understand I read Trillions 7 times in 36 hours.

Now I travel with my children and rarely have time to read. I take something pacey but with a pleasant writing style - nothing that requires too much concentration. Also it should be under 500 pages and paperback so it is easy to carry.

message 8: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) Esther wrote: "When I was a child we used to go on 6 week long holidays and I never had enough books.
Once when camping in a country where the TV programs were in a language I didn't understand I read Trillions 7..."

Esther - we take a 3-week long road trip with our two teen sons each summer, and my oldest son - who is an avid reader - loads up an entire duffel bag just with books for himself! And he usually reads them all, too. He is lucky he can read in the car - I can't.

We also love to listen to audio books during the long car ride. Well, the boys used to love it - now they prefer to do their own thing :( The older one prefers to read his own books (he says he can read much faster than the pace at which audio books are read) and the younger one just wants to listen to his iPod. Sad to see that because listening to books together in the car used to be a highlight of the trip! I suppose within a few years, it'll be just my husband and I again and we can listen to whatever book we like...but that is sad, too!

Thanks for reminding me of road trips - I was mostly thinking of regular air travel since that's what we did over Christmas break.

Sue

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 135 comments Sue wrote: " my oldest son - who is an avid reader - loads up an entire duffel bag just with books for himself! And he usually reads them all, too. He is lucky he can read in the car - I can't."
I can't read in the car (or on a bus) either which is why I commute by train.
My parents limited me to half a dozen books sometimes for reasons of space, if we were flying, but also because they wanted me to be 'sociable'. They let me read the books they had taken once they had finished them but as they read slowly this wasn't always a great help.

message 10: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) ha ha - same here - our son reads circles around us! On our road trip last summer, he read the first 4 books of the Game of Thrones series (each is 800-1000 pages) plus a few others!