Into the Forest discussion

Original Fairy Tales > Fairy tale reimaginings

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 520 comments I stumbled across Seven for a Secret (link goes to Archive of Our Own) yesterday, a fascinating set of short-short reimaginings of seven of the best-known fairy tale stories. For some of them the author has incorporated portions of the Disney version (e.g., Jasmine from Aladdin), but don't let that mislead you -- these are dark, dark, dark. Jasmine finds out the punishment for stealing in a Middle Eastern country; the French Revolution engulfs Beauty and her beast; Sleeping Beauty awakes only to find everyone around her falling into a new kind of slumber, and more. They are disturbing but creative and beautifully, vividly told; think The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories or Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3542 comments Mod
I finished reading Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne Valente today and thought it was amazing! Thought I would pass on my recommendation. Six-Gun Snow White

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I don't think Valente could ever write a book I wouldn't love but I haven't gotten that one yet.

If you haven't read her Silently and Very Fast it's another fairy tale re-telling.

It was published online, so follow the URL on the book page and you can read it for free.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3542 comments Mod
I love all her books as well, but I haven't read Silently yet. I think I'll read that next:)

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony (tmpalao) | 12 comments I just picked up Silver Birch, Blood Moon, one of the volumes in the anthology series from Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling. For the mature reader, these retold fairy tales are infused with dark psychological themes, sexuality and outright horror. I so enjoyed one of the earlier volumes - Snow White, Blood Red - that I can't wait to lose myself once again.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 520 comments Tony wrote: "I just picked up Silver Birch, Blood Moon, one of the volumes in the anthology series from Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling..."

Those are amazing, I've loved every one of them. There's a very modern version of Beauty and the Beast (can't recall which one it's in) that's truly, deeply creepy but so well done.

message 7: by Tony (new)

Tony (tmpalao) | 12 comments Michele wrote: "Tony wrote: "I just picked up Silver Birch, Blood Moon, one of the volumes in the anthology series from Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling..."

Those are amazing, I've loved every one of them. There's ..."

Black Thorn, White Rose and Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears are the other 2 volumes I checked out. Perhaps I'll find that story in one of them. I can't read these fast enough but at the same time I don't want them to end.

message 8: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbichukran) Thanks, Margaret, for the info. on Six-Gun Snow White. Sounds like my kinda book! LOL. Happy trails from Texas, bobbi c.