CGC (Christian Girls Chat) discussion

Book talk > Fantasy/Sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-50 of 354 (354 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Post your favorite/ sci-fi fantasy books here :D

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Good idea by the way, Caro :P

message 3: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 9968 comments Mod
lol thanx! WE COULD DO DYSTOPIAN..AND HISTORICAL too oops caps lock lets see.

Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1) by Shannon Hale
Palace of Stone (Princess Academy #2) by Shannon Hale
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale
Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2) by Shannon Hale
River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3) by Shannon Hale
Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4) by Shannon Hale

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Caro wrote: "lol thanx! WE COULD DO DYSTOPIAN..AND HISTORICAL too oops caps lock lets see.

Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1) by Shannon Hale
Palace of Stone (Princess Academy #2) by Shannon Hale
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale
[bookcover:E..."

We could! Do want to or me?

message 5: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

i will!

message 6: by Valerie (new)

message 8: by Rose (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:16PM) (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2) by Kristen Britain Blackveil (Green Rider, #4) by Kristen Britain The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3) by Kristen Britain Loved this medieval fantasy! Great! Still working on the last one!

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) by J.R.R. Tolkien Great series!

Secret of the Sirens (Companions Quartet, #1) by Julia Golding The Gorgon's Gaze (Companions Quartet, #2) by Julia Golding Mines of the Minotaur (Companions Quartet, #3) by Julia Golding The Chimera's Curse (Companions Quartet, #4) by Julia Golding I was OBSESSED with this one!

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis LOVED IT!

Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke Inkspell (Inkheart, #2) by Cornelia Funke Inkdeath (Inkheart, #3) by Cornelia Funke I LOOOOOOOOVED this one!

message 9: by Rose (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:17PM) (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Reckless (Reckless, #1) by Cornelia Funke ONE OF MY MOST FAVORITES!

The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost THIS WAS AMAZING!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The only sci-fi book I read this year was
Genesis by Bernard Beckett

It was actually a really interesting read! And so many times while reading, I had to stop and ponder. It really made you think!

message 11: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

i saw u reading that :) J RR TOLKIEN AND CS LEWIS!!!

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling These are my all time favorite I have to say. No book in the world has stayed in my heart as dearly as this. J.K Rowling is the best author alive hands down. No fiction tops this. No, not one.

message 13: by Elizabeth, He Satisfies My Soul (last edited Jan 08, 2013 08:13PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) | 1575 comments Mod
I love Cameron Dokey's re-tellings of the fairy stories. They are so good. Especially this book Once: Before Midnight; Golden; Wild Orchid Once Before Midnight; Golden; Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey

This series is awesome too!
The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor

message 14: by Elizabeth, He Satisfies My Soul (last edited Jan 05, 2013 11:39AM) (new)

Also for the Sci-Fi part: The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1) by Richard Paul Evans

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara | 16 comments Makai Queen Check out my new YA Christian fantasy and let me know what you think!

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara | 16 comments Makai Queen by Tara Fairfield Check out my new Christian YA novel and let me know what you think!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It sounds very interesting, Tara! I will definitely check it out!

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara | 16 comments Cari wrote: "It sounds very interesting, Tara! I will definitely check it out!"

Thanks!

message 19: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

vals reading it!! :D

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Good point. :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Are 1984 and Animal Farm good books? Have yet to read them.

message 22: by An (new)

An Anything here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Yeah, I know it's a hefty list, :D

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 520 comments Cari wrote: "Are 1984 and Animal Farm good books? Have yet to read them."

I checked both out from the library but haven't read them, they sound good

message 24: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Gallant (tiffnkailey) | 23 comments I don't know where to post this, but this seems like the closest topic. What do you think about teen paranormal books? Books like twilight, house of night, morganville vampires, City of bones, etc. I have always loved reading these books, even as a kid. When I became a christian I still didn't stop. I didn't feel like it was bad, but I have heard some people preach that those books are bad? I have noticed though that my love for teen paranormal books, has become obsessive. I have to read the next book that comes out, or see the movie. I can read one of these books in one or two days, but a christian book takes me a month to read. I also have noticed that the books I read change. I used to only read vampire books, etc. But some of the current popular series out there, have other things like demons, and ghosts. And demons and ghosts in a book usually scare me. Well after reading two series that had those in it, its like im desensitized by it. So I guess my question is, do you think these books are bad? Is it a sin? Or is it more the books are ok, unless they are a temptation, that makes you sin?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

A lot of people would say they're okay. My parents, however, have always told me to stay away from such books. Despite their warnings, I went ahead and read a few - like the Twilight Saga. But I did realize that after reading several books like that I began to look at other titles and consider them, when before they were a definite no-no. Desensitization - that's the main issue, I guess. After we're desensitized to such books, we have no qualms about reading other books that we probably shouldn't be reading.
It's been several years since I read vampire books. Now every time I go to a library, the YA paranormal books about ghosts, demons, etc always jump out at me. But I refuse to read them. Demons are evil, right? But books make them into 'good' (ish) characters.

I would say... yes. Some of these books ARE bad - as the Bible says to stay away to things pertaining to darkness - divinity, witchcraft, etc, because they are not of God. I would definitely say that command does not overlook what we read. So what if we don't practice them? We're still reading about them and filling our minds with them.

message 26: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Gallant (tiffnkailey) | 23 comments Cari, that is an excellent point and well written. I have noticed myself reading more and more books that would have been a no no for me. But because they have a pretty cover, or a million people say the book is awesome, I end up reading it, and it just doesn't sit right with me after. I think the main concern for me right now is that I feel so attached to these books. One of my friends told me to throw them away. I cannot see myself doing that, and it would upset me to get rid of these books, or to never read them agian. So that to me is a warning sign, that they seem to have a hold over me. I know that if I weren't reading these books, I would have a ton more time to read the bible, christian books, etc.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

That's another issue - time. This life is filled with so many things that take us away from spending time w/ God. I absolutely LOVE to read books, and I know I don't spend nearly enough time reading my Bible (though I try to do that on a daily basis) as I do reading other books. :/

message 28: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

debatable issue. the city of bones books can be dirty correct? so i brought that up with Val last year and her excuse was: but they r sooooo good. which is a pretty lame excuse. i think its also a lot about self control, the ability to read or not read attach or unattach yourself to things that are godly and ungodly. Paranormal has never sat right with me it never WILL and im glad about it. good demons? good witchcraft? twists the real meaning and according to our sunday school teacher "hardens your conscience" of course ppl like lena can say "but it doesnt affect me!" but does it really? do u walk away the exact same?

message 29: by Rose (last edited Feb 09, 2013 07:07AM) (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments What people don't understand are two things: creativity and stories. I feel as though they are mistook from the outside and from the inside. Books are meant to stretch your imagination and make you think, but people become consumed and behave as though what goes on in them is real, or matters more than real life. Books can be an escape from reality, yes, but even though we love the stories and the people inside, they are not the most important thing in the world, even though making them so makes us feel good inside.

Yes, whenever I read I let myself get immersed in the story. I love I looking at new worlds through new people's eyes. Yes, I do believe that the media has desensitized us on some things like death and other dark things. I can read or watch gory scenes without cringing anymore. TV shows with murder and movies also don't phase me, but I can't say what the real world might do.

I have to admit, though, that real witchcraft freaks me out, though I love the Harry Potter books. The magic that scares me is when they are doing it with demonic purposes. (the star thing and the candles and the freaky chanting, with the blood sacrificing etc.) You see, I know what the real stuff is and what it looks like. (If you've ever seen Princess and the Frog, the bad guy portrays what real voodoo is.)

You can't imagine the sick feeling I get when I see or read those scenes with real demonic witchcraft because I know that people actually do that stuff. People actually worship the devil, love him even. However, Harry Potter and similar books with magic are mostly filled with imagination, not meant to persuade or demonstrate evil. Narnia contains magic very similar and yet it is not put down because it contains hidden truths about the bible. What most people don't know is that Harry Potter does too, but people have stereotyped it and called it evil.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that reading effects you by how you approach it. If you approach the story with with pure intents, I feel that it is innocent, but if you read for the opposite reasons and enjoy the evil than you corrupt it. If you read Percy Jackson, for example, and you read them and believe that the gods and goddesses are real, you've corrupted it. If you read Harry Potter and believe that the magic is real, you've corrupted it. Do you see what I mean? Imagination is a beautiful thing indeed, but how you expose things to your heart is different.

Now, if something is overtaking you, take a step back from it, don't let it consume your heart. Anything that consumes you becomes an idol. Don't make idols. Remember that books are wonderful, glorious, magical creations, but in the end they are also words. You choose how they effect your life.

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara | 16 comments There are some good christian fantasy books out there....They provide a way to stretch your imagination with a Godly message. I hope more christians support christian authors trying to take back the genre!

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 09, 2013 04:52PM) (new)

I don't mind reading fantasy as long as there's no dark magic, witchcraft, vampires, stuff like that. :)

message 32: by Tara (new)

Tara | 16 comments Cari wrote: "I don't mind reading fantasy as long as there's no dark magic, witchcraft, vampires, stuff like that. :)"

I agree!

message 33: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Thanks Abbey :) I'm glad that we agree on this

message 34: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

Tara wrote: "There are some good christian fantasy books out there....They provide a way to stretch your imagination with a Godly message. I hope more christians support christian authors trying to take back th..."

i love the genre!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I think this topic is one of those issues that you have to decide on a person-by-person basis. The Bible doesn't really discuss things like this although it does say multiple times that practicing witchcraft is evil. But somewhere in Paul's epistles, it talks about how important it is to not do the things which we feel convicted against and not to do anything to make our brother stumble either. So, for instance, even though I, as a Christian adult, don't feel convicted against reading say the Twilight books, I wouldn't try to convince any of you to read them or talk about the reasons I enjoyed them to you because I don't want to make any of you stumble in your Christian walk. Plus, I also believe that there are certain topics that I now consider philosophically that I would have been confused by as a teenager. Does that make sense?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, that's very true, actually...

message 37: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Yes, that is along the lines of what I was trying to say a few posts up. Speaking of that, I didn't write all of that to write it, I want to know what you guys feel about it. Do you agree? Disagree? And why? I'm not trying to be self-centered or anything, but I would really like to see what other people have to say.

message 38: by Elizabeth, He Satisfies My Soul (new)

I have to agree with your Rose.
And I think desensitization has a huge part in how you read books.
Though I don't think desensitization to the physical appearance of monsters is a problem.
For me I think that I have come to an understanding that there are pretty evil things in this world that take all shapes and forms. You have to understand that this is what the authors are trying to portray (either in the book's world or ours) and make sure you don't become desensitization to terrible acts of violence and are still able to see the right and wrong.

What you extremely have to watch out for is an author who switches right and wrong, good and bad. Like Caro said above, making demons good as well as witchcraft.
A good author should be able to hint at great evil without having to go into so much detail. And the same goes with magic. Like in the Lord of the Rings, great magic is hinted at but never truly explained. We know that it is there, but how it works is left to the readers imagination. Which as a christian can be quite freeing (since you can believe that God gave them the magic that they used etc.)
That is why I actually have a problem with Eragon, a lot of that book takes up time in explaining the magic. Which just seems to make the story more unbelievable. A lot of things in our world are unexplainable (without God) and a book that portrays that seems to me to be more real then one that explains everything.

message 39: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments I agree with some of that, but again the writers intentions can be up for debate.

message 40: by Elizabeth, He Satisfies My Soul (new)

True Rose, you can only go off of what you read.

message 41: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments There are so many authors and stories out there, its hard to tell which ones have been written with bad intentions without knowing the author's personality and belief system.

message 42: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

I just finished the book divergent and i feel like a lot of it is dark and hopeless and purposeless. Like it depresses me how lost their society is without God and that is not a positive impact on my life! Ironically in the authors acknowledgements she thanks God and then swears in the next line im like wow kay..

message 43: by Carolyn, The God of Angel Armies (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I have to agree with your Rose.
And I think desensitization has a huge part in how you read books.
Though I don't think desensitization to the physical appearance of monsters is a problem.
For m..."

thatmakes sense! how too much inappropriate stuff and swearing can harden ur conscience

message 44: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Caro wrote: "I just finished the book divergent and i feel like a lot of it is dark and hopeless and purposeless. Like it depresses me how lost their society is without God and that is not a positive impact on ..."

But that's also how you see the story. It doesn't mean that she is trying to express darkness to you.

message 45: by Elizabeth, He Satisfies My Soul (new)

Rose wrote: "There are so many authors and stories out there, its hard to tell which ones have been written with bad intentions without knowing the author's personality and belief system."

Again true. That is why it is so hard to judge a book without reading it. That's why (say) in your experience you've had a lot of not so good books in the genre of paranormal you can cut that out of your genres.
It's very hard to know which books are going to be good and which are not. You have to train yourself to say "okay, this is going a little far" and close the book. It is very tempting to finish a book with the thought that that could have been the only bad part.

message 46: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments I have my standards. In the book called "Juliet Immortal and The Probablity of Miracles" They surpassed my "not to read" standards. I never finished them nor did I want to. I also didn't finish " Entwined by Heather Dixon because I felt convicted because of the magic.

message 47: by Elizabeth, He Satisfies My Soul (new)

That's good, we should all have our own standards. And they will all be different based on our own conscious.
I finished Entwined and actually thought it was a great book.

message 48: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Really? The dark stuff freaked me out, but did it get better?

message 49: by Elizabeth, He Satisfies My Soul (new)

Yeah, I would say so.

message 50: by Rose (new)

Rose (seekeroftruth) | 2966 comments Maybe I judged it too quickly.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8