Bookworm Buddies discussion

Bookworm Chatter > Abandon a boring book or tough it out?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments For the most part, I tend to finish a book, even if it's so boring that it makes me feel exhausted after reding only 20 pages, or so. Of course, this means that it takes me a long time to read books like these. After reading boring books, I am tempted to go into a reading slump.

Recently, I've said that I would abandon books that bore me to sleep induced tears, but I haven't stuck to it because sometimes I get fooled (the boring drawn-out part is in the middle of the book, and by then, I feel like I've invested too much time in the book to abandon it.

What are your thoughts on abandoning books?

1) Do you abandon books? If so, how soon?

2) Have you ever gone into a reading slump or found that you've read extremely slow because you refused to abandon a book?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to stick with a book no matter what. As I've gotten older I've realized how ridiculous this is. Now I give a book 50-100 pages, and if it doesn't grab me by then I move on. There are just too many excellent books waiting to be read to waste my time. I have reading slumps from time to time but I find it's just a matter of hitting on something that suits my mood. I always have a pile of stuff waiting to be read. I like to keep things interesting with all kinds of genres. It makes it less likely that I'll get bored.

message 3: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller life is too short to waste on a book that bores you to tears. abandon it for now. try an pick it up later. most things get 3 strikes, but books should only get 2... it is either a hit or a miss...

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel like terri i give a book between 50-100 pages and if it's still a bore i move on to something else.

message 5: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer It was because of having to finish reading an exceptionally boring book at primary school (I'd chosen this book myself based solely on the pretty cover) because I had to do a book report on it that my reading speed slowed down as much as it did. Nowadays though if the book hasn't managed to grab fairly early on then I'm likely to abandon it. However, there have been times when I've read a book which has been very slow to begin with but then gets much better the further in I read, that my persistence in reading it has ended up being very worth while. So really it depends on how committed I am to getting the book finished that determines my approach.

message 6: by Tee27 (last edited Dec 30, 2012 06:00PM) (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Terri wrote: "I used to stick with a book no matter what. As I've gotten older I've realized how ridiculous this is. Now I give a book 50-100 pages, and if it doesn't grab me by then I move on. There are just to..."

I agree. There are too many other good books out there....

message 7: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Alondra wrote: "life is too short to waste on a book that bores you to tears. abandon it for now. try an pick it up later. most things get 3 strikes, but books should only get 2... it is either a hit or a miss..."

Good rule of thumb--2 strikes for books!

message 8: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Rachel wrote: "like terri i give a book between 50-100 pages and if it's still a bore i move on to something else."

Yeah, 50 pages sounds like a good idea. If I read 100, depending on the length of the book, I like to continue reading. I'm going to change that this year, though--definitely!

message 9: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Zara wrote: "It was because of having to finish reading an exceptionally boring book at primary school (I'd chosen this book myself based solely on the pretty cover) because I had to do a book report on it that..."

I know what you mean, Zara. Some books start off very slowly, but then take off later. Unfortunately, I've been encountering those that start to slow down in the middle. Finishing those types of books takes true endurance.

message 10: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14025 comments Mod
I agree with all of you guys lol. I used to NEVER abandon a book, but this year I abandoned my first one. The book sounded fantastic so I bought it. I could not get into it at all. However if I manage to get to 1oo pages I will continue. I dont usually make it that far if a book is really boring me, especially if it is a new Author. Great discussion Tee! :)

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula | 2 comments I just had this discussion with my best gal pal the other day ~ as a rule/ challenge on myself, I never abandon a book. It will definitely take me a LOT longer to read a book that I deem slow, or boring, but in the end I feel good (okay GREAT) about myself for sticking with it. After a boring or slow book (after shaking my head and wondering why this book was published, or got the ridiculous reviews/raves) I will go to a light or "easy" read, just to make sure I still know how to enjoy myself. :)

message 12: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Janie wrote: "I agree with all of you guys lol. I used to NEVER abandon a book, but this year I abandoned my first one. The book sounded fantastic so I bought it. I could not get into it at all. However if I man..."

Thanks, Janie :-)!

message 13: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Paula I agree it is a great accoplishment to finish a book that you really did not enjoy.

YW TEE!

message 14: by kisha (new)

kisha I try to finish a book regardless. If I start I like to finish. What I tend to do is read two at once although I must admit the boring one sometimes get abandoned.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 9 comments My rule of thumb is I give a book 50 pages to really get me interested. If it comes very highly recommended I'll extend that to 100 but if it's not really connecting with me by that time, then I'm on to something else.

message 16: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I'll almost always stick with a book. I think there's only book that I've given up on, called Almanac of the Dead..

message 17: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I always used to stick with it, but now that I have sooooo many books on my TBR list I don't want to waste too much time on something I'm not enjoying. I try to come back and give them another go or just read little bits here and there between books that I'm enjoying rather than just give up completely.

message 18: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (ilovespiders) I abandon when I'm about 10-20% through but these are usually other people's recommendations and not a book I'd pick out on my own.

message 19: by Squire (last edited Oct 30, 2013 12:09AM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments I tough it out. I don't like abandoning books. Sometimes, though, I reach my limits. 120 Days of Sodom tested my patience and eventually, I abandoned it. That's the only book I've abandoned with no intent to return to it.

message 20: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I can't remember abandoning any books except for one whose title I can't even remember - it was about some heretical navigator or something.

Earlier this year I got a few pages into Catch-22 then decided to switch to something else but I hope to read it all at some point. I also got most of the way through Inkheart then got distracted but I will finish it eventually.

message 21: by GeneralTHC (last edited Oct 29, 2013 11:30PM) (new)

GeneralTHC Michelle wrote: "I can't remember abandoning any books except for one whose title I can't even remember - it was about some heretical navigator or something.

Earlier this year I got a few pages into Catch-22 then..."

CATCH-22 is a FABULOUS book, but yeah, it's not something you wanna sit down and read all the way through in one sitting. That book is really, really, good though, in small doses. Actually, I read along with the audiobook. I may not have even finished it had the narrator not have been absolutely extraordinary. I'm certainly glad I did, though. I think it was worth it.

message 22: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I abandoned a book the other day after reading over 70% of it--I only had like 50 pages left. I used to never abandon books but here lately I've got to where I will.

message 23: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Maybe I should do it that way Chuck, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea!

message 24: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Oct 30, 2013 08:45AM) (new)

I have abandoned only 2 books, both of which were fantasy. I think I don't abandon too many because I generally stay with the genres I like, so it makes it easier on me. LOL One of these days though I will actually find a fantasy that I like and finish it.

message 25: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 794 comments I rarely, like pretty much never do it. There was a Kindle freebie I tried, got about 40% through and it was still boring as hell, and made not a whole lot of sense, so I just deleted it. Real books though that I paid for, I never do. I might set it aside and start something else, but it goes right back on the TBR to be tried at a later date and different mood. I guess if by the second or third try I still can't get into it, I'd put it in the swap box, but I haven't had that happen yet, knock on wood.

message 26: by Richard (new)

Richard (richardcjennings) I rarely abandon books, unless I'm really having a tough time of it, or I just want to throw the book against the wall. Infinite Jest was the former. The prose was so dense I felt like I was hacking my way through a tropical jungle with a plastic lunch knife. I was done after about 250 pages. I now have a new shelf on my profile, "did-not-finish".

message 27: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I will always do my best not to abandon a book, but if I really can't finish it, then I won't. I have way too many good books I want to read.

message 28: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Wow...you guys make me feel like a wuss. If a book doesn't capture my attention within the first few pages, I won't continue. I have had a few books which started out interesting, but then the interest waned or got really boring. I will skip ahead if it is an important book, or one I am interested in knowing what happens. If there is a book I really don't care about, I will abandon it all together. As many of you said, there are just too many other books out there to spend my time on.

message 29: by Victor (new)

Victor I'm the same Kathryn. If I'm not liking it within the first 50 pages I won't finish it.

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2971 comments So far, the only book that I just couldn't finish was Atlas Shrugged.

message 31: by Martha (new)

Martha Oh, Atlas Shrugged, I have it on my list- I better be prepared. I am one of those who sticks it out to the end no matter what. I have been reading classics lately so it is easier by far.

message 32: by ☆ Michelle (new)

☆ Michelle Kobus  (michellekobus) | 519 comments Yeah, I feel like a wuss too, Kathryn! Doesn't mean I'll start sticking with books I hate till the very end, but I do feel like a sissy LOL :)

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments I'll be a sissy along with you, Michelle!

message 34: by ☆ Michelle (new)

☆ Michelle Kobus  (michellekobus) | 519 comments Then I'll be in good company :D

message 35: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 685 comments I will read a book to the bitter end, after all the ending may actually surprise

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 516 comments I very rarely give up on books but if I do, I don't rate them or mark them as read.

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Parry (kathrynmorgan-parry) | 93 comments Never, my OCD will not let me

message 38: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Cheryl I don't review them mark them as read either.

message 39: by ☆ Michelle (new)

☆ Michelle Kobus  (michellekobus) | 519 comments I'll rate the portion of what I read and usually I try to say why I gave up, but I don't mark them as read either; it feels dishonest to do that.

message 40: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Holly wrote: "So far, the only book that I just couldn't finish was Atlas Shrugged."

I sped though that one when I first read it in 1991. I've read it twice since! It's #4 on my favorite reads list.

message 41: by Kat (last edited Nov 10, 2013 04:02AM) (new)

Kat (kat_inthehat) | 16 comments I have to say I have temporarily abandoned books (not cast them aside, but left the bookmark in the same place for months) This happened with the Jungle Book (cringe) The Great Gatsby (I feel ashamed) and I think it may happen with Jane Eyre (oh goodness). Sometimes I find the classics language just takes to long to get through!That makes new books that I haven't read even more appealing so I just end up reading newer books and abandoning older ones which is a HORRIBLE habit. However, I did read To Kill A Mockingbird in a space of 10 days and LOVED it, and the Casual Vacancy bored me for the first 100 pages but the story was one of the best I've ever read once you got past it. Any tips for sticking with classic books?

message 42: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments I read passages aloud when just reading the words stops making sense. A couple of paragraphs can get me back into the mood of a work.

message 43: by Sam H (new)

Sam H  Arnold (samharnold) I don't generally abandon books but I might swap format from reading to audio. I also have a couple that I have put aside for a while and then gone back to.

message 44: by Judy (new)

Judy | 211 comments I try not to abandon a book but I've realized there are too many books out there that l want to read and never enough time. I always give it a few chapters first. I hate not finishing something by an author I love but that has happened too.

message 45: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Bowen | 8 comments Generally I like to stick with a book until the end. I feel a really odd sense of guilt if I give up on a book too early. But at the same time, there are piles of books that I'm dying to read, so I don't want to waste time on one that isn't tickling my fancy. I will give a book about 50-100 pages before I decide to abandon it.

I usually find that if I don't care about the characters, I'm less likely to continue with a book. If the characters aren't engaging, I have no interest in finding out what happens to them.

The last book I considered abandoning was the fourth Song of Fire and Ice book. It just started to drag in the middle and I was finding it a chore to read. But I kept going because I knew that I wanted to continue with the series. And I'm glad I did, because it got a lot more interesting in the end.

message 46: by Sam H (new)

Sam H  Arnold (samharnold) Vanessa wrote: "Generally I like to stick with a book until the end. I feel a really odd sense of guilt if I give up on a book too early. But at the same time, there are piles of books that I'm dying to read, so..."

I have the same feeling at the moment with the book I am reading. Am 60 pages in and could not care less what happens to the characters. I am inclined to keep going as it is from one of my favourite authors Harlan Coben and I know his book are normally amazing.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I rarely abandon a book but, that being said, There was this series I read the first book and made it through about half of the second and finally said to heck with it. It was a YA series "The Watchers Trilogy" by Karice Bolton. I really liked the premise but the author kept repeating over and over and over again how the main character just couldn't live without her lover! I just had to put it down!

message 48: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I'm forcing my way through a particularly boring book at the moment, and I'm determined to finish it. I'm just under 70% in, so I've gotta know how it ends. Maybe if I wasn't so close, I might have abandoned it, but I hate leaving any book unfinished anyway..

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) If the book is incredibly boring - and long - I will likely abandon it. Usually I can find at least something interesting in every book, though, and I rarely abandon. If there's a lot of boring scenes I tend to skim

message 50: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Luckily my current book isn't too terribly long.:)

« previous 1 3