Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Adding new editions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Alt (matt_alt) | 14 comments Apologies if this is a duplicate request but I posted elsewhere and didn't get a response, so I'm trying again here.

The new 2012 Tuttle edition of "Yokai Attack! The Japanese Monster Survival Guide" (ISBN: 978-4805312193) and "Ninja Attack! True Tales of Samurai, Assassins, and Outlaws" (ISBN: 978-4805312186) are not showing up in my author bibliography or when I search Goodreads. I would like them to be added so that they can be merged with the older out of print Kodansha editions that are up now. Thanks in advance.

Here are links to the covers on the publisher site:

Yokai Attack
http://www.tuttlepublishing.com/book/...

Ninja Attack
http://www.tuttlepublishing.com/book/...

Thanks.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Matt, I see both of these in the system already:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

Are they not coming up for you?

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24689 comments Cait beat me to it :)

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Alt (matt_alt) | 14 comments Can you explain why they aren't showing up in my author bibliography? Also, I'd love to merge them with the old editions but don't have the "librarian" authority to do so... Thanks in advance.

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Matt wrote: "Can you explain why they aren't showing up in my author bibliography? Also, I'd love to merge them with the old editions but don't have the "librarian" authority to do so... Thanks in advance."

By "author bibliography" do you mean the author dashboard? Some items can take a little while to update themselves but everything looks like it already is combined and the searches work OK.

The new Ninja Attack edition seems to have in the system since at least Oct 30, 2011 and was listed originally as "Periplus Editions". Is that likely to be right?

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Alt (matt_alt) | 14 comments By "bibliography" I mean the "Matt Alt's Books" list in my dashboard - I am not seeing the new (Periplus/Tuttle) edition of Yokai Attack listed at all, and the two editions of Ninja Attack are still separate. Apologies in advance if I am not looking in the right place or using the right terminology, but I am new to Goodreads.

message 7: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Matt wrote: "By "bibliography" I mean the "Matt Alt's Books" list in my dashboard - I am not seeing the new (Periplus/Tuttle) edition of Yokai Attack listed at all, and the two editions of Ninja Attack are still separate. Apologies in advance if I am not looking in the right place or using the right terminology, but I am new to Goodreads. "

We librarians don't have access to your dashboard but some updates do take a while to arrive on them.

When you click on these two links you should see two editions of each book. Do you? And are they OK?

Ninja Attack

Yokai Attack

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt Alt (matt_alt) | 14 comments Yes, they are OK. Can you or someone combine them? I'd prefer to only show (or to highlight) the newer editions as they just came out and we are promoting them now.

On this note, is it possible to edit my list of books, remove certain ones from my author book list? There is at least one in there, "Zero Over Berlin," that is both out of print and on which I am only a translator so I'd prefer to leave it out of my profile.

Thanks for all the help!

message 9: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 31, 2012 09:23AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Matt wrote: "es, they are OK. Can you or someone combine them? I'd prefer to only show (or to highlight) the newer editions as they just came out and we are promoting them now.

On this note, is it possible to edit my list of books, remove certain ones from my author book list? There is at least one in there, "Zero Over Berlin," that is both out of print and on which I am only a translator so I'd prefer to leave it out of my profile.

Thanks for all the help! "

The pairs of titles ARE combined. That is what two combined editions looks like.

It sounds like you would like there to be only a single entry for each title and for the newest one to be the one shows up all the time. Can't do the single option but the primary author of a book, in this case Hiroko Yoda, can make the new edition the one that is visible from the edit page of the book. Since you are not the primary author you cannot do that and I suspect that you could not request it from customer support either. It is primary author only.

For Zero Over Berlin, we don't remove books. Certainly not for being out of print.

EDIT: Zero Over Berlin is NOT out of print.

message 10: by Matt (last edited Dec 31, 2012 09:53AM) (new)

Matt Alt (matt_alt) | 14 comments Thanks for the tips. Is there any way to get me listed as the primary author instead? Hiroko is my wife and we are full co-authors of the books; there's no "primary" or "secondary" in our writing partnership. She wasn't planning to register here, but if it's the only way to make this happen, I'll have her look into it. The reason I want to do this is because the older editions are out of print as that publisher is now out of business, so it makes more sense to have the new Tuttle/Periplus editions the first ones people see instead of the other way around.

Apologies for the misunderstanding on Zero Over Berlin - not my intention in the slightest to get it removed from Goodreads. What I am more asking about is if it is possible for an author to edit their own book list as it appears on their author page.

Specifically, several out of print, old, or titles I'd just rather de-empahasize at the moment are showing up at the very top of my book list, with the newest ones either not showing up at all (Yokai Attack) or way down the list. What I'd like is to put the three most recent at the top so that they're what people who visit my page will see. Is that against the rules or otherwise outside the boundaries of the site? Again, I'm new here and appreciate the advice and insight.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2012 11:58AM) (new)

rivka | 43496 comments Mod
Matt wrote: "Is there any way to get me listed as the primary author instead?"

No. We go by order on the cover. "Primary author" isn't a judgment, it's just how the system organizes books.

And the order books show up in on your profile is completed automated, and based on how many users have shelved them. There is no way to manually re-order them.

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt Alt (matt_alt) | 14 comments I see. Thanks.

message 13: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments rivka wrote: "No. We go by order on the cover. "Primary author" isn't a judgment, it's just how the system organizes books."

I've always treated it as though the decision is made by the authors before the book hits the shops. They decide between themselves by arm-wresting or whatever. For us NOT to use the order that is on the cover would be both an insult and also very difficult to defend.

message 14: by GoldGato (new)

GoldGato | 1 comments Looking for some guidance...have a Dickens edition of the THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP (VOL. II);REPRINTED PIECES which is already combined with the second volumes of the OLD CURIOSITY SHOP. However, the majority of the edition is the REPRINTED PIECES...should I also combine with the separate REPRINTED PIECES editions? It makes sense, but I don't want to throw folks because the first section is a different title.

message 15: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Since "Reprinted Pieces" is a completely separate work it would seem to make this edition into a version of a two-books-in-one omnibus which we would keep separate.

Can a book be combined with The Old Curiosity Shop AND with Reprinted Pieces? I haven't heard that before.

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt Alt (matt_alt) | 14 comments "I've always treated it as though the decision is made by the authors before the book hits the shops. "

I just find it strange that two people clearly credited as co-authors don't have an equal say about how a book is handled on this site. Just a thought. Thanks again for all the advice.