The Sword and Laser discussion

Underrated books/series

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ricky (new)

Ricky Holmes | 21 comments We all have those books that we love that nobody else has read or seemingly even heard of. So I thought that I would make a thread where you can post some of your picks for underrated books and possibly expose them to fellow readers. I'll start.

The Pendragon Adventures-I fell in love with this series in high school and literally had to pester my high school library into purchasing the remaining books in the series(the only had the first few)and never regretted it. The series progressed and with each book the stakes got higher and all came to head in a magnificent final 2 books of the series. If you're a fan of Harry Potter then I highly suggest checking the series out. It's 10 books long and worth every page.

The Truancy Trilogy-Sword wielding badasses, terrorism, evil government figures, wicked fight scenes/battle scenes. A very fun read.

Share some of your underrated favs.

message 2: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments The Frank Book

One of the most surreal and interesting things I've ever seen. I will cherish this book forever.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments Willard Price and his series of adventures starring zoologists Hal and Roger. Loved reading these books as a youngster and they still sit proudly on my bookshelf.

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:08PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments One of the most undrated book is King Rat, the first book by China Miéville. I've heard everything about all of China Miéville's other work, but nothing about this book at all. This was the first book that introduced me to China Miéville because it shared a title with King Rat by James Clavell.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Jankowski | 4 comments Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon. Underrated yet excellent!

message 6: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments C. Dale Brittain wrote a series starting with A Bad Spell in Yurt. I started it after hearing her at a library talk, and loved the interaction of the goofy wizard and the devout priest who became unlikely friends. Happily she finished all six books of the series.

And I'll highly rate Deed of Paksenarrion above also.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue (suesnue) 'The Coma' by Alex Garland rocked my socks, but the book, and the author, really don't get much respect. It's a quick read and a simple story, but it was one of those reading experiences that when l finished it, looked around (l was eating at a Noodles) and was completely shocked that everyone was acting like nothing had happened. It really got under my skin.

message 9: by Patrick (new)

Patrick The Rai-Kirah series by Carol Berg and the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn are two series that I love and don't seem to get much recognition.

message 10: by Clyde (last edited Jan 04, 2013 08:16PM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 416 comments I highly recommend C.J. Cherryh's Compact Space series (starting with The Pride of Chanur). The aliens are wonderful and wondrous!
Also, I'll join the chorus recommending The Deed of Paksenarrion. Which, incidentally, is an omnibus of three Elizabeth Moon novels (The Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, and Oath of Gold).