Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #110: Books as Gifts

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lisa, Questioner (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
Hello! Best wishes to everyone for a healthy and happy new year. My name is Lisa and I'll be posting new questions to the discussion forum every Friday. Apologies that this first question is a couple of days late. I just got back from visiting the family.

This week's questions are: Did you receive or give a book during this holiday season and if so, what was the title of the book? What book did you have on your wish list that you wanted but didn't receive?

I gave my almost-four-year-old niece a couple of Dr. Seuss books, and I wanted to give my sister in-law an audiobook but opted against that idea because I wasn't sure if she'd like what I picked out. All of this made me wonder if anyone else gave or got books during the holiday season, and if you did give a book, was it on the receiver's wish list or did you pick out something you thought he or she might like?

message 2: by Faye (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
I gave my best bud Everything Was Good-bye andHalf Blood Blues. She's started in on the first one and says she's enjoying it. The guy at the bookstore highly recommended it, but I've read so many navel-gazing lady-problems books lately for a local book club, I don't think I can swing it.

I got my Dad The Sisters Brothers which I hope he'll enjoy. I did.

I always get a book for at least someone. Since we read so many in this group, I usually have a pretty good idea as to who might like what - or at least I like to think I do ;)

I didn't directly receive any books (other than a journal,) but my MIL gave me gift card for chapters in early December for my B-day! I bought Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume Six: Edgings: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine and 419: A Novel on boxing day. The knitting book was the one I ordered previously from B&N, but ended up with the God Loves You instead by mistake.

My co-worker is moving cross country and just gave me a whole bunch of paperbacks, including a heap ofDavid Baldacci. Have no idea if I'll enjoy these or not.

message 3: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
I also gave The Secret Garden to my friend's daughter. I loved that book when I was a kid.

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 221 comments We gave our four year old Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy and our two year old Duck, Duck, Goose. They also each got a Christmas book in their stocking from 'St Nick' and a bunch of books from grandparents, aunts & uncles and Godparents.

I gave my husband Waging Heavy Peace: A Hippie Dream.

I received The Yellow Birds, The Round House, and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I also have a B&N gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

My four year old gave The Fault in Our Stars to her Godmother (with a teddy bear to snuggle with).

Most of my family reads a lot, so we all consider books to be great gifts to give and receive.

message 5: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Ooh, I wanna read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, too.

message 6: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1789 comments Mod
Christmas and birthdays are always big book-giving occasions in my family. We all love to read, which you can tell by the overflowing bookcases.

This year for Christmas, I received Sesame Street: A Celebration: 40 Years of Life on the Street With DVD , Seattle's Belltown, Ficciones, Mr. Sorkin Goes to Washington: Shaping the President on Television's the West Wing, Rick Steves' Europe 101: History and Art for the Traveler, Sonic Boom!: The History of Northwest Rock, from Louie, Louie to Smells Like Teen Spirit, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, and It Happened in Seattle: Remarkable Events That Shaped History, all of which were on my wishlist.

My dad's recently started watching The Murdoch Mysteries, and asked for the DVD for Christmas. What he didn't know was that the show is based on a series of books.... so guess who got some Detective Murdoch books :) He was quite surprised, and I think he really liked them (and in this family, it's quite an accomplishment when you give my father a gift that he likes), so that was a huge win for me.

message 7: by lisa, Questioner (new)

The Sisters Brothers is on my Kindle and waiting to be read. I'm looking forward to that one.

Lots of good books for Christmas!

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments I gave three friends copies of Stedman's A Light Between Oceans. That book was so unique: a fascinating plot, beautifully told.

Rose

message 9: by Jim (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:07AM) (new)

Jim | 289 comments I received three books for christmas from my wife. I got Star Wars: Anniliation, Flesh and Bone, an audiobook of Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi- Abyss. She said there is a second audiobook on the way. I didn't get her any books for christmas but got her one for her birthday in early december. I had quite a few books on my wish list, most of them star wars audiobooks as I'm trying to collect copies of those books my library doesn't have.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I got my boyfriend Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World because I saw it on sale at B&N and thought he'd like it (He loves cats, so he's amped to read it)

I got my best friends Doctor Who - Shada and now I'm super jealous that I don't have a copy of that.

I got my brother in law a book on Mars exploration, but that was mainly because I didn't really know what else to get him, and my sis has to carry all gifts back to Norway so I wanted to give them small things.

I didn't get any books... but I did get some Amazon credit.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberbowen) | 30 comments This is the first year I didn't receive a book. I got my son the complete book set of Captain Underpants and my daughter received several Tag Reader books, as she is just learning to read.

message 12: by lisa, Questioner (new)

Any gift of Doctor Who rocks!

message 13: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 553 comments i received two books of Vivian Maier photography. she was a street photographer who never exhibited any photos during her lifetime. they were discovered in a storage locker whose contents were auctioned off after she died and failed to pay the rent. She was a fabulous photographer; apparently self-taught. i encourage anybody who likes photography to check out these books:

Vivian Maier: Street Photographer
Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda (lndoyle) | 313 comments I gave Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand) to a couple men on my list, and received The Louvre: All the Paintings from my dear husband.