Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion


101 views
Questions for readers of Twilight or watchers

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grlpwr00 (new) - added it

Grlpwr00 Hey guys. so on the other topic i posted i started asking questions and so i decided to post a new topic where i will post a new question every so often (depending on how much homework or time i have but i will probably post at least once a week.
Also feel free to post your own questions if you have any!
Here is my question: how do you feel about bella's weeknesses such as fainting at the sight of blood)?
Answer: i feel that Bella's weaknesses make her more independent. Although she is not my FAVOURITE character i think it makes her more likable because it shows that she can't handle everything that it thrown at her.


message 2: by Nuran (last edited Dec 30, 2012 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nuran It's strange and inconsistence with the rest of the books since she didn't seem bothered when James made her bleed, or the car crash, or when she cut her hand on a wrapping paper, or when her arm was slashed or when that arm was getting stitched up by Carlisle. She was only quesy in classroom so SM can bring her and Edward together.


Kirby I'm pretty sure I remember her being queasy every time she was around blood...I'd have to look it up to be sure though.


Nuran Well, she never had as much problems with it as she did in the biology class. Even cutting her fingers to help the vampires.


Mochaspresso Nuran wrote: "It's strange and inconsistence with the rest of the books since she didn't seem bothered when James made her bleed, or the car crash, or when she cut her hand on a wrapping paper, or when her arm w..."


It seems to diminish over time. She was queasy at the mere sight or smell of blood in the first book. In the last book, she's drinking it during her pregnancy.


Nuran Mocha Spresso wrote: "Nuran wrote: "It's strange and inconsistence with the rest of the books since she didn't seem bothered when James made her bleed, or the car crash, or when she cut her hand on a wrapping paper, or ..."

It's strange, I know people who dislike blood and go pale face just hearing about people's cuts, but Bella seemed to have gotten over it far too quickly.
At least let her pass out a few more times from the sight of it, it would have helped SM make more of a contrast between a vampire who loves blood and a person who hates blood. I don't think SM should have diminished Belle's reaction, than Belle's enjoyment of the blood would be a bigger surprise.

She could have passed out at the birthday present scene from her looking at her blood, waking up to carlisle stitching her, which could have made Edward feel more guilty and more reason to leave.

It was a wasted opportunity.


Mochaspresso Nuran wrote: It's strange, I know people who dislike blood and go pale face just hearing about people's cuts, but Bella seemed to have gotten over it far too quickly.
At least let her pass out a few more times from the sight of it, it would have helped SM make more of a contrast between a vampire who loves blood and a person who hates blood. I don't think SM should have diminished Belle's reaction, than Belle's enjoyment of the blood would be a bigger surprise.

She could have passed out at the birthday present scene from her looking at her blood, waking up to carlisle stitching her, which could have made Edward feel more guilty and more reason to leave.

It was a wasted opportunity.

"


I'm not completely sure about that. The story is told from Bella's pov. If she passes out, then we don't get a description of that particular scene with Jasper as it is unfolding.


Nuran Mocha Spresso wrote: "Nuran wrote: It's strange, I know people who dislike blood and go pale face just hearing about people's cuts, but Bella seemed to have gotten over it far too quickly.
At least let her pass out a f..."


She could have easily passed out afterwards, when she was no longer distracted by Jasper and noticed exactly how much blood there was. Edward would have seen her as much more fragile.


message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam What I think it is, Bella gets involved with a coven of vampires. Her life suddenly revolves around them because of Edward. If your going to be living with a bunch of blood drinkers, I would think her queasiness of blood would go away. It would have to or else Edward would have to deal with her fainting every five freaking seconds. Plus, she knows she when she is turned, she'll be drinking it.


Nuran Sam wrote: "What I think it is, Bella gets involved with a coven of vampires. Her life suddenly revolves around them because of Edward. If your going to be living with a bunch of blood drinkers, I would think ..."

Except she got over it too quickly, she nearly fainted from a drop of blood and yet can withstand slashes so soon after???


message 11: by Sam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sam Well many people, after going through trauma, change. I used to have a terrible fear with blood yet when i hurt myself and had to deal with it, I got over it. There was a lot of blood when James attacked her so it is reasonable to see that she gets over it.


message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Pretty sure she felt a wave of nausea when she sensed the blood when James attacked. Pretty sure her mind was more concerned with the deadly vampire about to kill her than the blood. Pretty sure in Eclipse her mind was more concerned with Victoria and Riley's attack than blood. It is all in perspective. In the classroom, it was easy to focus on the drop of blood, but I the other cases, the danger was easier to focus on. I know if I am in pain or don't feel well, distractions can make me push discomfort aside.


Nuran Amy wrote: "Pretty sure she felt a wave of nausea when she sensed the blood when James attacked. Pretty sure her mind was more concerned with the deadly vampire about to kill her than the blood. Pretty sure in..."

That's what I'm saying in one of my previous post, jasper distracted her but she could have easily have fainted afterwards when the distraction is gone.


message 14: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia Luhrs she seemed to get over it quickly. i think it added to her overall clumsy persona.


Mochaspresso Nuran wrote: She could have easily passed out afterwards, when she was no longer distracted byJasper and noticed exactly how much blood there was.dward would have seen her as much more fragile.

How long is she out, though? How and when does the conversation that she and Carlisle have while he is tending to her wounds happen if she is unconscious? I guess they can still have it when she wakes up...but I think it is more meaningful when it takes place as he is tending to her rather than after the fact. I thought that was pretty well done. She is queasy and avoiding looking at what he's doing so she wont vomit or pass out and the vampire is perfectly calm, cool and collected at the sight of blood. That is rather ironic, imo. It also seems to me that you run the risk of sacrificing story pacing and continuity just to further reinforce one character trait.

I'm not saying that you are wrong per se ....I am just thinking it over out loud and wondering how making this change also affects other parts of the story.


message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Mocha Spresso wrote: "Nuran wrote: She could have easily passed out afterwards, when she was no longer distracted byJasper and noticed exactly how much blood there was.dward would have seen her as much more fragile.

H..."

Well said. I think a lot boils down to searching for fault in books you strongly dislike. I really dislike 50 Shades and would be hard pressed to find any redeeming qualities there, and I would mercilessly pick it apart. I usually avoid discussions of the book because I would be ruthlessly negative. Nothing any fans say here ever impacts the people who hate this series, so we all just go around and around in circles, never gaining ground.


Nuran Mocha Spresso wrote: "Nuran wrote: She could have easily passed out afterwards, when she was no longer distracted byJasper and noticed exactly how much blood there was.dward would have seen her as much more fragile.

H..."


Well for me, Edward leaving didn't make sense to me, and he seemed rather dumb leaving when two red eyes vampires knew her. She seemed to cope with the situation rather well so I didn't understand why they just didn't try again.

I guess her fainting would give more credible reason for Edward to leave because she couldn't handle it.


Nuran Oh please, you'd be bored if all the discussions revolve around "how much you love this and that and OMG sparkly vampires are awesome". I love seeing different sides on books I love and hate. I wish books I love had more debate and discussions.


Mochaspresso Nuran wrote: Well for me, Edward leaving didn't make sense to me, and he seemed rather dumb leaving when two red eyes vampires knew her. She seemed to cope with the situation rather well so I didn't understand why they just didn't try again.

I guess her fainting would give more credible reason for Edward to leave because she couldn't handle it.
"




FWIW, I didn't like his leaving and I certainly didn't like the way he chose to do it.

He didn't leave because she couldn't handle the sight of blood...and I think that would have been a fickle reason to leave, anyway. He thought she would be better off without him. I think he felt that he was constantly putting her life in danger just by being around him. He also didn't want her to become a vampire. He believed that if he was out of the picture, she would eventually change her mind about it.

I'm going out on a limb with the next part...but I also suspect that because Edward can't read Bella's mind, he also thought her love for him was along the lines of the other HS girls that he could read. In other words, he thought Bella would be like all of the other girls and be sad for a while and then quickly get over him and move on. He didn't realize how hurt and devasted she would be. (please don't construe this as me saying that I condone any of it or think it is healthy. This is just my take on his motivations for leaving.)


Cassie I think it just contributes to the overall irony of the story. The girl who wants so desperately to become a vampire, faints at the sight of blood.

In the beginning, Bella obviously wasn't ready to become a vampire, but over the course of time, she experiences more, learns more, and understands more about the vampire lifestyle. Her relationship with blood developed parallel to her personal development.

There's a literary term for this, but I can't remember what it is.


message 21: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Cassie wrote: "I think it just contributes to the overall irony of the story. The girl who wants so desperately to become a vampire, faints at the sight of blood.

In the beginning, Bella obviously wasn't ready t..."


interesting.


message 22: by Olivia (new)

Olivia http://pamgutz.livejournal.com/6499.html somone found this somwhere online just though i put on here..


message 23: by Grlpwr00 (new) - added it

Grlpwr00 next question- Do you like Bella


message 24: by Melissa (last edited Jan 05, 2013 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa I agree with Cassie - Bella's aversion to many things (blood, cold, wet, Forks, etc.) changed as did her whole character by the end of the Saga. These changes could have been elaborated upon, unless it was intentional. SM may have brushed over these seemingly small things to reward the careful readers, those aware of the small changes in Bella's character without it being in-your-face obvious.


message 25: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Melissa wrote: "I agree with Cassie - Bella's aversion to many things (blood, cold, wet, Forks, etc.) changed as did her whole character by the end of the Saga. These changes could have been elaborated upon, unles..."

good point in someways


message 26: by Olivia (new)

Olivia :)


back to top