The Wrath of Angels (Charlie Parker, #11) The Wrath of Angels discussion

The Wrath of Angels

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Lansky I received an ARC copy of John Connolly's new book. Although it has some fabulously heart pumping scenes, I felt like the book needs the strong hand of an editor before release. At times, he went into painful detail about scenes or events that did not seem to advance the plot. For example, I wanted to put the book down in chapter 22. I could care less about Thomas Eldritch at this point and the painful detail turned me off. Perhaps this character has an important role later, but unfortunately I will never know because I chose to read a different book halfway through chapter 22. It was torture.

Walter Joyce, pick the book up and finish it! That's an order ;) It has some great bits to come after that. LOved it, and especially the old characters being in it again. One bit near the end actually made me shout out loud at Charlie Parker LOL

message 3: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Lansky I guess I'll have too. I hate putting books down in the middle, but I found myself continually having to reread parts because my ADD mind couldn't focus through the massive detail.

Mark Having just finished the book I found it hard work as well finishing it. While it answers some questions that longtime readers should be glad about the story is indeed not all that great. For the first time JC did not convince me.

So I guess I have to read some of the Non-Parker books I have lying about in order to pick up my spirits again.

Albert Riehle It's all part of Connolly's style. It can be infuriating at times. I've called for better editing in a few reviews myself. However, the more and more vested I become in these characters--having read all the books in this series--the less I'm bothered by it. I know that eventually things are going to get on a roll and when they do, it'll be worth wading through some of the muck. I also think that a lot of it is done on purpose because he likes to play with the pace--the fast paced parts seem even more so when placed in contrast to some of the long descriptions. And finally, I think there's some method to that madness. I think those parts of the book often foreshadow what's to come--or put it into perspective. It's not until it happens that you "get" it, so it can be hard to get through at the time, but one thing I know is that Connolly always comes through in the end.