Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's December

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments The Panther: Nelson DeMille
John Corey and Paul Brenner together, the two most cynical protagonists from DeMille’s previous works. For me it was heaven. The story was heavy, the search for an Al Queda killer, the the nature of the characters added an element of unreality you can only get from DeMille. (A-)

The Forgotten: David Baldacci
At first I thought the John Puller character was Jack Reacher, only written by Baldacci. Book 2 adds a bit more to the mix. Puller is an MP, but still active. He handles his cases much like Reacher, but with a bit more brute force, a bit less insight. He does have :superman” characteristics that all of Baldacci’s leading men have, and he has a family support system that reminds me of the Kerleys. It pretty much works though for a good adventure. (B+)

Two Graves: Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Pendergast vs the Nazis. This series has jumped the shark. (C)

Cold Days: Jim Butcher
Simply phenomenal. Big changes in the world of the supernatural, and Harry Dresden is riding the turbulent wave. This series is still getting better. (A)

the hypnotist: Lars Keppler
A swedish mystery penned by a literary couple. Sweden- long nights, cold, lots of snow. I guess they get bored, write mysteries. (B-)

Poseidon's Arrow: Clive Cussler
I have cut back on my Cussler due to my general dislike of co-authored books. I’ll make an exception for Clive and his son writing the original Dirk Pitt novels, which started the whole thing. This is once again a Perils of Pauline type ride, where reality definitely takes a back seat to adventure, but results in a book that is just fun to read, even if the outcome is never in doubt. (B)

Nauseous Nineteen: Janet Evanovitch
Old and tired. (B-)

Consent to Kill: Vince Flynn
Flynn, the conspiracy guy, but he mostly keeps the conspiracy small enough to manage. In this case it is as simple as a contract killing that goes wrong, and all the resultant fall out. (B)

The Litigators: John Grisham
Much to the formula, though several clues tossed in early turned out to be red herrings. Of course, with all the characters lawyers with different degrees of sleaziness, I was not immediately sure who i was supposed to root for. I figured it out. (B)

The Spymasters: WEB Griffin
A story like most of the stories, dealing with a small facet of WW2, but absolutely no soul. The son does not write as well as the father. I have one more book coming, if it is not substantially better, I am done with this series. (C)

Hush Money: Chuck Greaves
A ‘B’ book, but with ambition. Features a lawyer working hard to solve a mystery, and mostly in good cheer. First book for this author, so can only get better. (B)

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Good month Barry!
I had The Panther lined up and then realized I didn't read the one before it so took The Panther back to the library. Now I need to get to The Lion soon. My car CD player started acting up about that time and I got tired of downloading CD's to MP3 to be able to play them and started in on audible.com titles instead of listening to The Lion.
Good to hear that the Harry Dresden books just keep getting better.

Barry wrote: "The Panther: Nelson DeMille
John Corey and Paul Brenner together, the two most cynical protagonists from DeMille’s previous works. For me it was heaven. The story was heavy, the search for an Al ..."

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments Great Month you had there! I had to return The Forgotten to the library unread, but its a good thing since I realized that I haven't read Zero Day yet. I was already able to request The Hit by Baldacci (due out in April)although I wasn't a huge fan of The Innocent.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Silly Barry...I laughed at your Evanovich title ;)

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Enjoyed COLD DAYS, too. Was a long wait between Dresden books!

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Great month! Must try Butcher, and continue with DeMille, it's been awhile!

message 7: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments I agree the Dresdan book was wonderful. I thought the Evanovich was an OK read

message 8: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments That should be Dresden

message 9: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I ordered 19 from the library. Can't not read it, refuse to spend money on this trash.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Silly Barry...I laughed at your Evanovich title ;)"

I wondered if anybody would notice.

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Silly Barry...I laughed at your Evanovich title ;)"

lol, me, too.
nauseous nineteen works though.

message 12: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Barry: I read two Graves and I did think it was a bit of a reach with the Nazis, but it still had a pretty good plot.
Evanovich had a better plot in this one, For me it was a nice light read just before the holiday.
I had read about a month ago, an interview with Cussler. On the co-written books, he stated that he reviews and edits what the co-author has written. So, basically, he's not really writing that much.

message 13: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Puller worked for me, but he is in the usual mold.

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Silly Barry...I laughed at your Evanovich title ;)"

And I was tempted to look to see if that was really the title!

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Good and entertaining list, as usual Barry.

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments Maybe I should check the 2nd book of Dresden's. I had read his first which was a freebie and it hadn't grabbed me at the time. but it seems everyone loves his books.

message 17: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments The first book was the weakest of the series

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3540 comments okay since everyone is reading it there are alot of copies around so I'm sure when I'm ready I can get the second book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Panther (other topics)